• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why it's absurd to put much stock into draft rumors.....here are some previous ones (and I remember Browns fans getting worked up over some as though they happened)...

1619467044764.png

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if a game was scheduled to go 9 innings and gets called after 7 or 8 due to weather, is that not a no hitter as well?

Pretty sure that's always been the case.

But this "no hitters don't count in the 7 inning games" rule is crap because it's the official length of the game.

At least with a game called by weather, it was scheduled for 9 innings.

These games are scheduled for 7.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
love the Browns pick.

They have made a lot of improvement to the defense. Their secondary was a mess last year because of lack of talent and injuries.

Now they depth and talent with the returning injured players and the guys they have added.

The offense is literally all coming back. A top flight offensive line- one of the top 5 units in football without a doubt. A running back situation that is the best in football with Chubb and Hunt. Receivers that include Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry and Rashard Higgins which is a great group. A nice group of tight ends with Njoku, Hooper, and Bryant. And of course Baker Mayfield doing it all

Myles Garret and Clowney at the ends. A star in Ward, and depth in Hill, Greedy, Newsome, Harrison, Delpit, and another star- Johnson at safety.

best Browns team in a long time. Its gonna be fun.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ

whats up with the Raiders?

they took some guy that many thought wouldnt go till mid-second round at best? at 17?

lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ

they took some guy that many thought wouldnt go till mid-second round at best? at 17?

lol
Yeah, that was an odd one. The crowd at the draft got real quiet.

I guess if they felt o-line was a big need. But then, why not try to trade up to get Penei Sewell or Alijah Vera-Tucker? Or trade their first round pick for more picks and take the same guy (or similar) in the 2nd round?

Leatherwood pretty much has to become an All-Pro to justify the pick and it still doesn't really justify it because they'll be paying first round money to a 2nd round player.

There were a couple of other head scratchers, but that was the biggest.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
love the Browns pick.

They have made a lot of improvement to the defense. Their secondary was a mess last year because of lack of talent and injuries.

Now they depth and talent with the returning injured players and the guys they have added.

The offense is literally all coming back. A top flight offensive line- one of the top 5 units in football without a doubt. A running back situation that is the best in football with Chubb and Hunt. Receivers that include Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry and Rashard Higgins which is a great group. A nice group of tight ends with Njoku, Hooper, and Bryant. And of course Baker Mayfield doing it all

Myles Garret and Clowney at the ends. A star in Ward, and depth in Hill, Greedy, Newsome, Harrison, Delpit, and another star- Johnson at safety.

best Browns team in a long time. Its gonna be fun.
I love it in the sense they were able to take BPA and not look for a savior to fill a specific need (especially QB).

Cannot say I know anything about the kid other than what was reported. Measurables definitely what you'd want at the position and is a position of need (cannot yet count on Greedy to be healthy).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that was an odd one. The crowd at the draft got real quiet.

I guess if they felt o-line was a big need. But then, why not try to trade up to get Penei Sewell or Alijah Vera-Tucker? Or trade their first round pick for more picks and take the same guy (or similar) in the 2nd round?

Leatherwood pretty much has to become an All-Pro to justify the pick and it still doesn't really justify it because they'll be paying first round money to a 2nd round player.

There were a couple of other head scratchers, but that was the biggest.
I liked any pick off the board that was offense, OL or RB as they were not what the Browns needed.

NFL draft far different, though, than NBA in that actual picks are often much different than mocks. I'd bet actual boards are wildly different than the others.

Now this is not to say it was a good pick (wont know until he plays) but real GMs don't care what fake GMs think. If a team likes a guy and wants to be sure they get him they'll take him. Because some fake GMs said round 2 does not mean he'd last that long.

Ironically, Mayock the fake GM would have told Mayock the real GM that he reached, though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked any pick off the board that was offense, OL or RB as they were not what the Browns needed.

NFL draft far different, though, than NBA in that actual picks are often much different than mocks. I'd bet actual boards are wildly different than the others.

Now this is not to say it was a good pick (wont know until he plays) but real GMs don't care what fake GMs think. If a team likes a guy and wants to be sure they get him they'll take him. Because some fake GMs said round 2 does not mean he'd last that long.

Ironically, Mayock the fake GM would have told Mayock the real GM that he reached, though.

Agree to a point. I tend not to be too concerned about mocks, etc. and feel that if it's a position of need and you can get the guy, you get him and don't worry about whether you're picking him a little early. But based on everything I saw and heard yesterday and today, he was picked about 30 spots early. That's big difference (especially financially).

I don't follow the Raiders close enough to know how good their o-line is, I'd have to ask @DJ. To me, you only draft an o-lineman in the first round if it's a hole you need to fill badly and there's an All-Pro caliber lineman available. So it would seem that the better move would be to either trade up and grab Sewell or Vera-Tucker...or trade down for more picks and still get Leatherwood (or someone like him) and may be a couple others. If I recall what I heard correctly, there's a kid from ND (Liam something) who is still available and apparently grades out as good or better than Leatherwood.

Either would seem better than paying first round money to a guy you could have gotten in the 2nd round.

Having said that, for an o-lineman "Leatherwood" is definitely a first round name...so maybe that's why the Raiders took him. lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to a point. I tend not to be too concerned about mocks, etc. and feel that if it's a position of need and you can get the guy, you get him and don't worry about whether you're picking him a little early. But based on everything I saw and heard yesterday and today, he was picked about 30 spots early. That's big difference (especially financially).

I don't follow the Raiders close enough to know how good their o-line is, I'd have to ask @DJ. To me, you only draft an o-lineman in the first round if it's a hole you need to fill badly and there's an All-Pro caliber lineman available. So it would seem that the better move would be to either trade up and grab Sewell or Vera-Tucker...or trade down for more picks and still get Leatherwood (or someone like him) and may be a couple others. If I recall what I heard correctly, there's a kid from ND (Liam something) who is still available and apparently grades out as good or better than Leatherwood.

Either would seem better than paying first round money to a guy you could have gotten in the 2nd round.

Having said that, for an o-lineman "Leatherwood" is definitely a first round name...so maybe that's why the Raiders took him. lol
I do agree with a lot of this. But everything we see and hear are from guys who don't run actual drafts.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree with a lot of this. But everything we see and hear are from guys who don't run actual drafts.

Not all of it.

On either Dan Patrick or Cowherd this morning, they had a former GM who is a 2 time executive of the year and he was saying pretty much the same thing as everyone else. These guys don't necessarily run drafts, but most of them (the legit ones anyway) get their info from those who do. Especially in the days after the draft when teams don't really need to be secretive anymore.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all of it.

On either Dan Patrick or Cowherd this morning, they had a former GM who is a 2 time executive of the year and he was saying pretty much the same thing as everyone else. These guys don't necessarily run drafts, but most of them (the legit ones anyway) get their info from those who do. Especially in the days after the draft when teams don't really need to be secretive anymore.
I'm sure some might get info after. But most of these guys treat ALL draft intel as though they were in the CIA. They sometimes wont even tell their own guys what they are doing or why they did what they did.

Either way most info is from before draft and analysts view reaches based on mocks that only predict what real GMs will do. Maybe the guessers were just wrong?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just wow.

unbeleivable

i thought they might draft him at 26
Cannot say I can recall him taking a live snap, but we definitely needed a speedy WR so liked that one, too...for now.

Many are saying no way we use all our picks as we don't "need" that many players. Might be true, but wont surprise me if they use them. They learned from Jimmy Johnson the first time here and he taught them the more darts you throw the better chance to hit.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well - I was bummed when the Indians dealt Lindor even though I knew giving him 10 years 350 was never going to happen

but I gotta say- I realize it is extremely early but he has looked awful.

the truth is- Jose Ramirez never got the national accolades Lindor did---- but Jose is the better player. He has been the better player for a while now.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well - I was bummed when the Indians dealt Lindor even though I knew giving him 10 years 350 was never going to happen

but I gotta say- I realize it is extremely early but he has looked awful.

the truth is- Jose Ramirez never got the national accolades Lindor did---- but Jose is the better player. He has been the better player for a while now.
Yeah....while Dolan's lack of a will to win is frustrating, I can understand not paying a guy $300-400 mil.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that's always been the case.

But this "no hitters don't count in the 7 inning games" rule is crap because it's the official length of the game.

At least with a game called by weather, it was scheduled for 9 innings.

These games are scheduled for 7.

No-hitters are a minimum of 27 outs (24 if you manage to lose throwing a no-hitter I guess?). Always have been. A game can be called after 5 innings and be official. 5 innings of no-hit ball does not qualify and neither should 7 innings.

What's next, being awarded bonus total bases for starting at 2nd in extra innings? Yet another reason to do away with these gimmick rules.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ

lol

Yeah, but they followed that up by drafting a guy in the second that everyone projected to go in the 1st. It averages out somehow.