• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Must just have missed the outrage

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is manufactured controversy from a butt-hurt fan. Hours and hours of coverage by the talking heads about this game the last few days, not a single mention of this supposed no-call that I've seen. Not one.

Cool story. Do you have any original thoughts? This play, which happened and there is photographic and video proof of, happened but you can't be bothered to hear about it because you aren't hearing anyone talk about it.

Better get off the hoop and listen to some more talk radio so that you have something to discuss in gym class tomorrow.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can make the exact same argument about every missed or blown call by the refs. You are dealing with hypotheticals and with hypotheticals anything can happen. Russell Wilson gets hit in the head on the 2nd drive and it isn't called. So instead of a 5 yard penalty, he gets picked. Who knows what would have happened if the penalty was called?

The truth is, that missed call had a negligible effect on the game.

You most CERTAINLY can.

That is exactly what I said after the Dallas and Detroit game.

I was shouted down, and by a large number of Seattle fans. Yet a good number of those same people are saying "no big deal" here. Hypocrisy at its finest, and that was all I was pointing out here. Not all Seattle fans are guilty of this, but the asswipes that are know who they are.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone call the Waaaahmbulance, ford has a poutrage! He must have justice, or bitching, or griping. Mostly bitching and griping.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You most CERTAINLY can.

I was shouted down, and by a large number of Seattle fans. Yet a good number of those same people are saying "no big deal" here. Hypocrisy at its finest, and that was all I was pointing out here. Not all Seattle fans are guilty of this, but the asswipes that are know who they are.

I figured this was about the Dallas game. There were a couple of Seahawks fans that were going strong about that play. Most of us didn't say anything. I explicitly laid the blame of the loss on the Lions feet. Just as I laid the blame of the loss in the Packers-Cowboys game on the Cowboys.

However this situation doesn't even measure up to those situations because the ultimate effect of the play was moot because the Packers got the ball back 3 plays later. If Sherman picked it for a TD then I could at least understand your argue better. That is why the media isn't talking about the play. There isn't any controversy except with people trying to manufacture a controversy.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can make the exact same argument about every missed or blown call by the refs. You are dealing with hypotheticals and with hypotheticals anything can happen. Russell Wilson gets hit in the head on the 2nd drive and it isn't called. So instead of a 5 yard penalty, he gets picked. Who knows what would have happened if the penalty was called?

The truth is, that missed call had a negligible effect on the game.

Well of course this is hypothetical, yet you're somehow claiming the "truth", that this play had a negligible effect on the game.

Now I'm not talking about a "Butterfly Effect" scenario here where a microscopic difference can cause an entirely different outcome. I'm saying that a scoring drive can be significant in this close of a game in the same way that one can say that taking the opening kickoff to the house can be significant to the outcome of the game. It doesn't matter when the play occurred. It's a big play and that play alone can effect the outcome of the game, regardless of occurring early on.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured this was about the Dallas game. There were a couple of Seahawks fans that were going strong about that play. Most of us didn't say anything. I explicitly laid the blame of the loss on the Lions feet. Just as I laid the blame of the loss in the Packers-Cowboys game on the Cowboys.

However this situation doesn't even measure up to those situations because the ultimate effect of the play was moot because the Packers got the ball back 3 plays later. If Sherman picked it for a TD then I could at least understand your argue better. That is why the media isn't talking about the play. There isn't any controversy except with people trying to manufacture a controversy.

Honestly, I think it dates back to the Seattle loss at home. I think it really stuck in people's craw.

And when the Detroit game ended, you guys come storming in like a bunch of MP's clubbing anything that moved.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I think it dates back to the Seattle loss at home. I think it really stuck in people's craw.

And when the Detroit game ended, you guys come storming in like a bunch of MP's clubbing anything that moved.

As being an x military, I thought that funny as hell.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You most CERTAINLY can.

Ok, in sports, it's kinda ok to be hypocritical.

We are good at it.

Others, they just try...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, because Seahawk fans haven't been chiming in on almost every topic on this board all year long.

A couple of the fringe ones say some stupid stuff about it and several of you act like it's every single one of us and they were the only ones posting shit. I already posted the numbers elsewhere, but less then 10% of the posts to those threads were Seahawk fans and under half of those were anything that negative.

And yet Dallas fans are STILL crying about it weeks and weeks later. :L

Good God people. The season is over for you. Time to let the past go and move on.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well of course this is hypothetical, yet you're somehow claiming the "truth", that this play had a negligible effect on the game.

Now I'm not talking about a "Butterfly Effect" scenario here where a microscopic difference can cause an entirely different outcome. I'm saying that a scoring drive can be significant in this close of a game in the same way that one can say that taking the opening kickoff to the house can be significant to the outcome of the game. It doesn't matter when the play occurred. It's a big play and that play alone can effect the outcome of the game, regardless of occurring early on.

OK. Let me take a different approach. Let's assume that the interception was negated by the pick. And let's assume that the exact same thing happened that happened on their next TWO scoring drives. A field goal. What then?

You and Ford are the only ones who are arguing that a seemingly missed offsides call was some big play in that game. This wasn't the refs missing a pass interference call at the end of the game. It was the 5th play of the game. There are so many variables in play who the heck knows what would have happened? That is why it is a fool's errand to worry about refs calls in general but especially early ones.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read about half of this thread before skipping ahead, did anyone bring up the PI that wasn't called on the last play? There should have been a flag with that TD. he got hugged a little early and got a little face mask action that turned his head slightly.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because Seahawk fans haven't been chiming in on almost every topic on this board all year long.

A couple of the fringe ones say some stupid stuff about it and several of you act like it's every single one of us and they were the only ones posting shit. I already posted the numbers elsewhere, but less then 10% of the posts to those threads were Seahawk fans and under half of those were anything that negative.

And yet Dallas fans are STILL crying about it weeks and weeks later. :L

Good God people. The season is over for you. Time to let the past go and move on.

A. "Some" Hawks fans were galactically annoying after the dertoit win, Season? , benefit of the doubt.

2. Lose at home, you're crying, Detroit flag, you're crying, Dez call, we're crying, Russel crying, we're crying

D. Here at the Hoop, the season is never over.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As being an x military, I thought that funny as hell.

I'll try to look the other why the next time I'm feeling punchy toward Hawk fans.

Military discount.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. Let me take a different approach. Let's assume that the interception was negated by the pick. And let's assume that the exact same thing happened that happened on their next TWO scoring drives. A field goal. What then?

You and Ford are the only ones who are arguing that a seemingly missed offsides call was some big play in that game. This wasn't the refs missing a pass interference call at the end of the game. It was the 5th play of the game. There are so many variables in play who the heck knows what would have happened? That is why it is a fool's errand to worry about refs calls in general but especially early ones.

What then? We don't know what then, obviously. We don't know how the sequence of events would unfold after that point, obviously. This isn't ground-breaking here. However, with these two teams as evenly matched as they were, any sensible person would believe that the outcome of the game COULD have been decided on one or just a hand-full of plays. The outcome very likely would have been different if #86 doesn't try catching the ball with his face. The outcome very likely would have been different if Wilson doesn't hit that miracle 2-point conversion. The outcome very likely would have been different if the Packers tried going for it on 4th and goal, etc. Likewise, the outcome could have been different if the refs had correctly called the penalty on that non-scoring drive.

If this was the Seahawks/Broncos Super Bowl, where one team is clearly better than the other, I wouldn't consider a play like this to be much of a factor. But this game? Two very evenly matched teams where the Seahawks come back in one of the wildest overtime playoff comebacks? Yea, that single play or a hand-full of plays could have been what swung the tide in the Seahawks favor.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What then? We don't know what then, obviously. We don't know how the sequence of events would unfold after that point, obviously. This isn't ground-breaking here. However, with these two teams as evenly matched as they were, any sensible person would believe that the outcome of the game COULD have been decided on one or just a hand-full of plays. The outcome very likely would have been different if #86 doesn't try catching the ball with his face. The outcome very likely would have been different if Wilson doesn't hit that miracle 2-point conversion. The outcome very likely would have been different if the Packers tried going for it on 4th and goal, etc. Likewise, the outcome could have been different if the refs had correctly called the penalty on that non-scoring drive.

If this was the Seahawks/Broncos Super Bowl, where one team is clearly better than the other, I wouldn't consider a play like this to be much of a factor. But this game? Two very evenly matched teams where the Seahawks come back in one of the wildest overtime playoff comebacks? Yea, that single play or a hand-full of plays could have been what swung the tide in the Seahawks favor.

There is no doubt that the missed offside call had an impact on the game. Any missed penalty will, and obviously this one was a bigger than usual due to the play resulting in an interception. The issue here is that people are trying to compare this one missed penalty to that abortion the officials performed during the fourth quarter of the Dallas-Detroit game.

Both situations involved poor officiating, but wouldn't you agree that calling PI correctly, picking up the flag without any explanation, and then missing a holding call on a fourth down play in the fourth quarter is significantly worse than one blown offside penalty on the first possession of the game?

I know you've brought up the Fail Mary as well. But the refs responsible for blowing that call were fired pretty much the next day. My problem is that the replacement officials were, for some reason, held to a higher standard than the normal officials. Ed Hochuli blew a call a few years back that contributed to the Chargers losing a game ( correct me if I'm wrong on the team there) and nothing happened.

The crew in the Dallas-Detroit blew two crucial calls that the NFL confirmed and nothing happened.

Last game of the season last year Jeff Triplette and his crew ejected a Rams player for accidentally knocking off a ref's hat when an official was standing behind him. And this was a clear accident that other officials obviously saw when you watch the replay. Yet, the guy still gets ejected and again, nothing happens.

Now clearly you can't lose a game on one or two bad calls alone, but any bad call can have a big impact on the game. And if that happens the refs need to be held accountable. I'm tired of seeing some of these crews bring their shit shows to national television.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay Matthews was just fined over 22k for an illegal hit on RW that wasn't flagged. Looks like the refs missed a couple of penalties in the game

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay Matthews was just fined over 22k for an illegal hit on RW that wasn't flagged. Looks like the refs missed a couple of penalties in the game

He got clocked on that play.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that the missed offside call had an impact on the game. Any missed penalty will, and obviously this one was a bigger than usual due to the play resulting in an interception. The issue here is that people are trying to compare this one missed penalty to that abortion the officials performed during the fourth quarter of the Dallas-Detroit game.

Both situations involved poor officiating, but wouldn't you agree that calling PI correctly, picking up the flag without any explanation, and then missing a holding call on a fourth down play in the fourth quarter is significantly worse than one blown offside penalty on the first possession of the game?

I know you've brought up the Fail Mary as well. But the refs responsible for blowing that call were fired pretty much the next day. My problem is that the replacement officials were, for some reason, held to a higher standard than the normal officials. Ed Hochuli blew a call a few years back that contributed to the Chargers losing a game ( correct me if I'm wrong on the team there) and nothing happened.

The crew in the Dallas-Detroit blew two crucial calls that the NFL confirmed and nothing happened.

Last game of the season last year Jeff Triplette and his crew ejected a Rams player for accidentally knocking off a ref's hat when an official was standing behind him. And this was a clear accident that other officials obviously saw when you watch the replay. Yet, the guy still gets ejected and again, nothing happens.

Now clearly you can't lose a game on one or two bad calls alone, but any bad call can have a big impact on the game. And if that happens the refs need to be held accountable. I'm tired of seeing some of these crews bring their shit shows to national television.

I think the OP had a valid point in comparing one call to the other - not because the plays were of equal magnitude or because the quality of the refs were the same, but because of the completely different responses we have seen from one particular fan base on this site. But not all of them of course. Screaming bloody murder for one mistake and trying to justify/neglect the other appears very hypocritical. For better or for worse, mistakes are just part of the game. Sometimes it will hurt your team and sometimes it will help your team.

If you're asking for my opinion on the officiating in the two games, I will say that I think the referees HANDLED the Detroit/Dallas game poorly when they picked up the flag. But I think the calls that they missed in that game were much more subjective (granted still incorrect) than the one referred to in this game. I'm sure you will probably disagree with me on that, as most people will. My only reasoning is that I think I've been desensitized to bad pass interference penalties. I've seen muggings not get called for PI and I've seen the slightest touch get called for PI. It's entirely subjective and the rule is stupid. As for the penalty on the Sherman interception, the guy was clearly offsides when the ball was snapped. I don't know how the line judge, or anyone else, could possibly miss that.