• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Have We Hit The Bottom Yet?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 coaches the Lions should consider for their coaching vacancy | Lions Wire (usatoday.com)

Eric Bieniemy, OC Kansas City Chiefs

Brian Billick, Former Baltimore Ravens coach

Matt Campbell, Head Coach Iowa State

Brian Daboll, OC Buffalo Bills ............ (no, a former NE Patroit. He was OC under Saban for 1 year three years ago)

Matt Eberflus, DC Indianapolis Colts

Marvin Lewis, Former Head Coach of the Cincinnati Bengals .............. (HELL NO)

Greg Roman, OC Baltimore Ravens ............ (It didn't look good when he had a shot with 49'ers)

Robert Saleh, DC San Francisco 49ers ............ (This choice seems logical from ownerships. The usual thought of ties to the area.)

Nick Sirianni, OC Indianapolis Colts

Arthur Smith, OC Tennesse Titans

Bonus: Brayden Coombs, Lions Special Teams Coordinator

Saleh would be fun.

Seems like the kind of guy players would want to play for.

Like Schwartz was.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a stretch to believe that Bieniemy would want to come to horribly run franchise like the Lions.

If Bieniemy receives an offer to coach the Texans (Watson and Co.), I see him going there. I would chose a young QB in Watson over an aging Stafford.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this team is going to go through a complete rebuild then trading Stafford (maybe you'd get a 2nd round pick and a conditional 4th that could become a 3rd the following year is about all you could expect, imo) and letting Golladay walk would be the right decision.

I'm with @Old Lion regarding players who are worthy of keeping.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions head coaching search: Robert Saleh emerges as clear, way-too-early favorite - Pride Of Detroit

Our friends over at 49ers blog Niners Nation also talked about the potential of losing Saleh to Detroit, something writer Kyle Posey called the “worst-case scenario for the 49ers.” Here’s why:

The Lions fired their general manager Bob Quinn. They’ll also need someone to call the offense. Saleh could pluck Adam Peters, the current Vice President of Personnel for the Niners, to be his GM in Detroit along with Mike McDaniel. The latter has been the genius behind the 49ers running game as offensive coordinator. That’d give the Lions a powerful combo that would be difficult to top.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions head coaching search: Robert Saleh emerges as clear, way-too-early favorite - Pride Of Detroit

As for his skills as a coach, after the 49ers held the Los Angeles Rams to just 13 points on offense and 308 total yards in a winning effort, San Francisco cornerback Richard Sherman sung Saleh’s praises for his defensive efforts all year.

“You’ve got to give coach Saleh, you’ve got to give Robert Saleh an abundance of credit,” Sherman said in his postgame press conference (watch here). “You have to give him an unusual amount of credit, and I don’t think he’s getting enough credit not only here but in the league, in general.”

Later adding that despite the abundance of injuries, he’s still managed to not only keep this defense’s head above water, but allow it to thrive.

“He never makes an excuse, and statistically, we’re still a top-five defense in almost every category. There are guys out there with Pro Bowlers, All Pros that never had an injury, never had any adversity, and they’re not putting out a top-five defense.

“He’s not making any excuses. He’s making great plans week in and week out, and we’re making it happen. I expect him to be a head coach next year, because of what he’s able to do. He’s able to rally men. He’s a leader of men, and that goes a long way.”

BB_72: pretty damn defining coming from Richard Sherman, imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford's future in flux as Detroit Lions await new direction (freep.com)

But ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky, Stafford’s good friend and former teammate, gave credence to the idea Stafford and the team would consider a mutual parting when I talked to him this summer.

“I’ll keep it 100 with you,” Orlovsky said at the time. “Like, listen, he’s either going to win there this year or a winner’s going to come get him. … Maybe I’m stupid and naïve and biased, I just think eventually he’ll either win there or will be on a winner (somewhere else if he doesn't) because of it."

Orlovsky went a step further Saturday on Twitter after the Lions fired head coach Matt Patricia and general manager Bob Quinn, writing the time has come for a “full start over and move on from Stafford.”

“It’s time from both the organization standpoint and the players position as well,” Orlovsky wrote. “It didn’t work out.”

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford's future in flux as Detroit Lions await new direction (freep.com)

But ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky, Stafford’s good friend and former teammate, gave credence to the idea Stafford and the team would consider a mutual parting when I talked to him this summer.

“I’ll keep it 100 with you,” Orlovsky said at the time. “Like, listen, he’s either going to win there this year or a winner’s going to come get him. … Maybe I’m stupid and naïve and biased, I just think eventually he’ll either win there or will be on a winner (somewhere else if he doesn't) because of it."

Orlovsky went a step further Saturday on Twitter after the Lions fired head coach Matt Patricia and general manager Bob Quinn, writing the time has come for a “full start over and move on from Stafford.”

“It’s time from both the organization standpoint and the players position as well,” Orlovsky wrote. “It didn’t work out.”

Is it wrong that I still hate Dan Orlovsky?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this team is going to go through a complete rebuild then trading Stafford (maybe you'd get a 2nd round pick and a conditional 4th that could become a 3rd the following year is about all you could expect, imo) and letting Golladay walk would be the right decision.

I'm with @Old Lion regarding players who are worthy of keeping.
I think you could get a first from SF for Staff.

They'd be excellent.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with the new coach search...

Stuff like this drives me nuts.

Why are they chiming in and asking for this to happen? How about they do their jobs and let the Lions run their team? Isn't that part of the problem for the last 50 years, people that don't know football making football decisions? I just don't understand why some people feel their voice needs to be heard for something they're not qualified to speak on. They have a right to their opinion, but to try to use political pressure is wrong.

Again, good luck with the search and I hope at some point the Lions get on the winning track.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with the new coach search...

Stuff like this drives me nuts.

Why are they chiming in and asking for this to happen? How about they do their jobs and let the Lions run their team? Isn't that part of the problem for the last 50 years, people that don't know football making football decisions? I just don't understand why some people feel their voice needs to be heard for something they're not qualified to speak on. They have a right to their opinion, but to try to use political pressure is wrong.

Again, good luck with the search and I hope at some point the Lions get on the winning track.
He’s from Dearborn.

Has played or coached at three public universities in Michigan. Seems cool af. And would be the first Muslim NFL HC I’m aware of.

He’s one of my top choices too.

Id rather see pressure from the government to seize the Franchise from the Fords, but this doesn’t bother me.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Doug Pederson getting the axe in Philly he moves to the top of my HC wishlist. The problem in Philly was Howies handing out Superbowl reward contracts like candy on Halloween cap hell/no depth.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Stafford the 12 year experiment should be done.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm never sure if we can possibly get lower, or if we have truly hit the bottom yet. And I know there's probably a lot of "the grass is always greener..." in my complaining. But it seems no matter what the Lions do, they do it wrong. I've complained for years that the Fords were the least involved of any owners in the entire league, and were routinely the only owners who didn't attend the annual ownership meetings. And they were routinely the most screwed over team by the refs and league officials. Meanwhile Kraft and Jerry were the 2 most involved owners, and their teams always got all the calls going their way.

Now though we finally have an owner who seems involved. She's attending personnel meetings and even bumped Speilman, who was just hired to help turn this thing around, and she took his office so she could be more involved with everything. The problem is though now we have bored housewife Sheila, with no football or business or leadership background of any sort asserting herself and saying she has final say on every decision.

They're trying their hardest to spin this into something positive, but the amount of kool-aid I would have to drink to buy into this would bankrupt most 1st word countries.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if you think Mike Martz was a QB Guru by screwing up Dan's QB mechanics.

So it was his poor mechanics that made him step out of the endzone with noone near him? They were so bad that they could not even win 1 game?