• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Have We Hit The Bottom Yet?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Lions hire racists, I figure they have it in them.
I would be OK with Leftwich or Bienemy. Definitely not Marv Lewis though.

Harbaugh will be in the discussion.:L

My Top picks are Brian Billick and Keith Butler.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the entire planet outside of the NFL can see how terrible of a plan this is. Who wants to give the opponent a free 3rd?
I didn't like the plan the way I thought it worked. Cuz I felt it was embarrassing.

But this just kills incentive to hire coordinators away that are minorities.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing Matt Patricia is only the beginning for the Detroit Lions (freep.com)

quite a few suggestions from this article

Personally, I wish Hamp would involve Chris Spielman — the former Lions great — in the hiring process. Heck, I wouldn’t mind if he were named the team president, if he wanted it. He doesn’t have front office experience, but I trust him to make smart football decisions.

It worked for the San Francisco 49ers when they brought in John Lynch. And it worked — for a while — when John Elway took over the Broncos.

Can you imagine Spielman as the team president and Urban Meyer as the head coach? (BB_72 Meyer does have that benign brain tumor)

Maybe it’s far-fetched. But I have a feeling it would be successful. At worst, Spielman should be named a special assistant, similar to how the Tigers employ Kirk Gibson, Willie Horton, Jim Leyland, Lance Parrish and Alan Trammell.

Because it would be good for Hamp to get input for somebody like Spielman.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m also intrigued with the idea of bringing in Mike Borgonzi, the Kansas City Chiefs' director of football operations, to be the Lions GM and hiring Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy to be the head coach.

As far as other potential GMs, here's a pair of potential candidates from the Seattle Seahawks: Trent Kirchner, the vice president of player personnel and Scott Fitterer, the vice president of football operations. Why do they pique my interest? Because Seattle has a GM training program.

But no matter who the Lions bring in as GM, two coaches who make the most sense are Bieniemy and San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, from Dearborn.

Hamp didn't rule out a college coach.

"We're gonna be looking at everything," she said.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 coaches the Lions should consider for their coaching vacancy | Lions Wire (usatoday.com)

Eric Bieniemy, OC Kansas City Chiefs

Brian Billick, Former Baltimore Ravens coach

Matt Campbell, Head Coach Iowa State

Brian Daboll, OC Buffalo Bills ............ (no, a former NE Patroit. He was OC under Saban for 1 year three years ago)

Matt Eberflus, DC Indianapolis Colts

Marvin Lewis, Former Head Coach of the Cincinnati Bengals .............. (HELL NO)

Greg Roman, OC Baltimore Ravens ............ (It didn't look good when he had a shot with 49'ers)

Robert Saleh, DC San Francisco 49ers ............ (This choice seems logical from ownerships. The usual thought of ties to the area.)

Nick Sirianni, OC Indianapolis Colts

Arthur Smith, OC Tennesse Titans

Bonus: Brayden Coombs, Lions Special Teams Coordinator

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

quite a few suggestions from this article

Personally, I wish Hamp would involve Chris Spielman — the former Lions great — in the hiring process. Heck, I wouldn’t mind if he were named the team president, if he wanted it. He doesn’t have front office experience, but I trust him to make smart football decisions.

It worked for the San Francisco 49ers when they brought in John Lynch. And it worked — for a while — when John Elway took over the Broncos.

Can you imagine Spielman as the team president and Urban Meyer as the head coach? (BB_72 Meyer does have that benign brain tumor)

Maybe it’s far-fetched. But I have a feeling it would be successful. At worst, Spielman should be named a special assistant, similar to how the Tigers employ Kirk Gibson, Willie Horton, Jim Leyland, Lance Parrish and Alan Trammell.

Because it would be good for Hamp to get input for somebody like Spielman.

ugh

Sounds too much like hiring Matt Millen...

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish the Lions nothing but the best on the next hire. I hope the next round of GM and HC will bring y’all some long overdue success.
Good Luck

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ugh

Sounds too much like hiring Matt Millen...

I completely disagree with your take.

Spielman has just as much knowledge about the game as John Lynch or even Ozzie Newsome. It worked well for years with Ozzie and pretty much has been an improvement for the 49'ers having Lynch. Ozzie did have some years training involving player personnel prior to becoming GM. Chris' brother has had quite a bit of success at Minnesota. All GM's will have their misses drafting CFB or even NFL UFA signings.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions' Kenny Golladay likes post about Matt Patricia firing (freep.com)

Golladay has seen contract talks with the Lions grow contentious in recent months, and has used social media to express the disrespect he has felt from the team in the past.

Golladay and the Lions were about $2 million apart, annually, in their most recent negotiations, which have subsided of late.

The Lions used the projected 2021 franchise tag number for receivers of $15.5 million as their baseline in contract talks, while several of the NFL's top players at the position, including Amari Cooper (five years, $100 million), Keenan Allen (four years, $80.1 million) and DeAndre Hopkins (two years, $54.5 million), signed deals earlier this year worth $20 million or more annually.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on the Golladay extension, regarding money, seems to be about right.

I'm with @broncosmitty thinking that he's not a true No.1 for another. This team, yes, he's considered a No.1.

I believe 17M per year should be his ceiling.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm with @broncosmitty thinking that he's not a true No.1 for another. This team, yes, he's considered a No.1.

Same here. I might go to 18 tops. Lots of big salaries are gonna get shitcanned at the end of the season. Vaitai and Coleman are probably gone. That is enough right there to pay Golliday. Nick Williams too unless he comes to life the last 5 games. Flowers might be let go too but I have not checked his dead money.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be OK with Leftwich or Bienemy. Definitely not Marv Lewis though.

Harbaugh will be in the discussion.:L

My Top picks are Brian Billick and Keith Butler.

I thought I'd be the only person still clamoring for Brian Billick. How many years has be been out of the league now? Doesn't matter. He can coach. And how many years was Vermeil out of the league before he took the Rams job? I like it.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. I might go to 18 tops. Lots of big salaries are gonna get shitcanned at the end of the season. Vaitai and Coleman are probably gone. That is enough right there to pay Golliday. Nick Williams too unless he comes to life the last 5 games. Flowers might be let go too but I have not checked his dead money.

Cutting Vaitai would cost the Lions 4 million for the year, they can use the June 1st cutdown, but that would only save them 3 total for the first year. 2022 is the first year it makes sense financially to cut him.

Cuts that save the most money, all of these are the numbers if you don't use the Post June 1st cuts. So it could be more
Matt Stafford 10
Desmond Trufant 6.5
Justin Coleman 4.9
Jesse James 2.1
Nick Williams 4.7
Chase Daniels 2.3
Danny Shelton 4.0
Joe Dahl 2.9

Vaitai -4.9
Flowers -11

Flowers you have to wait until 2022 to cut.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd let him walk.

I'd also try and deal Staff.

No need to keep expensive players with no history of winning anything.

Marv and Amendola are also FAs. Also buh bye's for me.

With Prater Im on the fence.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real failure of ownership here was not firing Quinn before the season.

Wasted a year and didn't capitalize on moving guys with expiring contracts.

Instead they wasted more future picks trying to get to mediocre.