• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL apologizes to Raiders again

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALAMEDA – The NFL reached out to Jon Gruden on Monday to apologize for blowing a crucial call late in Sunday’s 20-16 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the team's final game at Oakland Coliseum.

Quarterback Derek Carr kept the ball on a read option and ran 12 yards for a first down, clearly sliding and giving himself up in the field of play. His lead foot never touched the ground and a defender never touched him, but his knee, hand and back leg were obviously down in bounds. By rule, a quarterback’s forward progress is stopped at the start of his slide.

When he gives himself up, he is down right away whether he is touched by a defender or not.

Officials surprisingly ruled him out of bounds and stopped the clock, allowing Jacksonville to preserve their final timeout.

The Raiders were flummoxed by the decision and received a delay of game penalty with the play clock reaching zero, while the Silver and Black thought the real clock should’ve run down to the two-minute warning. Instead the Raiders faced a first-and-15 and couldn’t convert again.

They missed a field goal, which set up Jacksonville’s game-winning touchdown drive.

“The league [officiating] director Al Riveron called and apologized,” Gruden said in his Monday press conference. “We accept the apology. Derek was in bounds. That play cost us dearly.”

“I’m very upset here today talking about it,” Gruden said. “Curtis Riley was not offsides on third and 8, where we should’ve been off the field. Everybody has sour grapes when it comes to officiating. … What happened yesterday, the quarterback gave himself up in the field of play. We have eight guys out there. I’m not going to say much more, but it’s not real fulfilling. It’s not real fulfilling for our team or our fans who came out to support us.”

[RELATED: Ugly scene ensues after Raiders' loss in Coliseum finale]

Gruden is not a fan of instant replay. His comments on the matter since returning as Raiders' head coach have made that crystal clear. That he was not able to challenge the ruling on the field was particularly bothersome, after so many replay decisions made by the league office in New York have gone against the Raiders.

“I don’t like it at all. They stopped the game in Indiana and took my middle linebacker away for 12 weeks. They ended his season [by suspension],” Gruden said. “They stopped the game in Kansas City and took Trayvon Mullen’s interception away. Why don’t you stop the game and get the clock right? I don’t think it was even close. I’m not happy about it. Apologies are great, but this is 2020. I’ve been in enough meetings [on replay] and I’m disgusted by it. I don’t want any instant replay in my life personally. If we’re going to have it, let’s get the call right. It shouldn’t be that hard.”

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
such an awful call, even that raider hating bag of shit gene steratore said it was wrong

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh look... it’s the raiders whining about bad calls!! Wait... let me get my shock face... :eek:

:D

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh look... it’s the raiders whining about bad calls!! Wait... let me get my shock face... :eek:

probably should have just filmed the opponents all season

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALAMEDA – The NFL reached out to Jon Gruden on Monday to apologize for blowing a crucial call late in Sunday’s 20-16 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the team's final game at Oakland Coliseum.

Quarterback Derek Carr kept the ball on a read option and ran 12 yards for a first down, clearly sliding and giving himself up in the field of play. His lead foot never touched the ground and a defender never touched him, but his knee, hand and back leg were obviously down in bounds. By rule, a quarterback’s forward progress is stopped at the start of his slide.

When he gives himself up, he is down right away whether he is touched by a defender or not.

Officials surprisingly ruled him out of bounds and stopped the clock, allowing Jacksonville to preserve their final timeout.

The Raiders were flummoxed by the decision and received a delay of game penalty with the play clock reaching zero, while the Silver and Black thought the real clock should’ve run down to the two-minute warning. Instead the Raiders faced a first-and-15 and couldn’t convert again.

They missed a field goal, which set up Jacksonville’s game-winning touchdown drive.

“The league [officiating] director Al Riveron called and apologized,” Gruden said in his Monday press conference. “We accept the apology. Derek was in bounds. That play cost us dearly.”

“I’m very upset here today talking about it,” Gruden said. “Curtis Riley was not offsides on third and 8, where we should’ve been off the field. Everybody has sour grapes when it comes to officiating. … What happened yesterday, the quarterback gave himself up in the field of play. We have eight guys out there. I’m not going to say much more, but it’s not real fulfilling. It’s not real fulfilling for our team or our fans who came out to support us.”

[RELATED: Ugly scene ensues after Raiders' loss in Coliseum finale]

Gruden is not a fan of instant replay. His comments on the matter since returning as Raiders' head coach have made that crystal clear. That he was not able to challenge the ruling on the field was particularly bothersome, after so many replay decisions made by the league office in New York have gone against the Raiders.

“I don’t like it at all. They stopped the game in Indiana and took my middle linebacker away for 12 weeks. They ended his season [by suspension],” Gruden said. “They stopped the game in Kansas City and took Trayvon Mullen’s interception away. Why don’t you stop the game and get the clock right? I don’t think it was even close. I’m not happy about it. Apologies are great, but this is 2020. I’ve been in enough meetings [on replay] and I’m disgusted by it. I don’t want any instant replay in my life personally. If we’re going to have it, let’s get the call right. It shouldn’t be that hard.”
Turns out it's Gruden that will murder Goodell.

I'm excited!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the nfl started making shit up to protect New England.

Nfl owes significant apologies to the ravens (multiple times), the jaguars, falcons, Seahawks and chiefs. And that’s only this decade...
The Eagles only lost by 3 in 2005 and the Patriots cheated at least the whole second half.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles only lost by 3 in 2005 and the Patriots cheated at least the whole second half.

I wasn’t going back that far or I’d go to the 2004 afc divisional round where a clear illegal block in the back by Brady lead to points for the pats and a phantom intentional grounding cost the titans 10 yards on their final drive.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice that the NFL apologized to the Raiders.

But most of the time the Raiders should be apologizing to the NFL for how bad they are playing.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs can be baffling in the NFL.... So many flags all the dam time, so many blown calls..
I'm not going to apologize for how bad they've been, but the NFL is also doing them no favors with all these dumb and ambiguous rules. Making a bad situation even worse.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3joc3d.jpg

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nfl owes significant apologies to the ravens (multiple times), the jaguars, falcons, Seahawks and chiefs. And that’s only this decade...
Huh... No Saints