• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's @ Indians: June 11th - 13th

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE: Logan Gilbert- I'm not clear to myself as to why I think this, but during yesterday;s game, I kept thinking Logan is going to end up being at the Randy Johnson level. Not necessarily for his fast ball, but more so in getting a high number of K's/game and if he had a decent offense behind him he would rack up an awesome win/loss record. IMO, he is the best we've had since the "best days" of Felix.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE: Logan Gilbert- I'm not clear to myself as to why I think this, but during yesterday;s game, I kept thinking Logan is going to end up being at the Randy Johnson level. Not necessarily for his fast ball, but more so in getting a high number of K's/game and if he had a decent offense behind him he would rack up an awesome win/loss record. IMO, he is the best we've had since the "best days" of Felix.
I keep seeing, and mentioning, that he reminds me delivery wise of Freddy Garcia and I think that is also his potential which isn't a bad thing at all.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing, and mentioning, that he reminds me delivery wise of Freddy Garcia and I think that is also his potential which isn't a bad thing at all.
I see that comparison a little ( and year that's a good thing in Gilberts favor )

As for me it's a Doug Fister comparison if it is an ex Mariners player pool for comparisons. Both tall and lanky and both have that straight up / tall type windup and delivery, with that big stride / late release to the batter which I am certain makes that 96-97MPH heater look like 100.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that comparison a little ( and year that's a good thing in Gilberts favor )

As for me it's a Doug Fister comparison if it is an ex Mariners player pool for comparisons. Both tall and lanky and both have that straight up / tall type windup and delivery, with that big stride / late release to the batter which I am certain makes that 96-97MPH heater look like 100.

Didn't Fister max out at like 92? He also didn't really have a wipeout slider, more of a floating curveball.

I think Gilbert's ceiling is quite a bit higher than Doug Fister.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Fister max out at like 92? He also didn't really have a wipeout slider, more of a floating curveball.

I think Gilbert's ceiling is quite a bit higher than Doug Fister.

Lets hope and pray his ceiling is higher than Doug Fister

92MPH may be alittle generous from what I recall.

Fister was a jack of all trades, but a true master of none.

I think he played around 10yrs and I doubt you need me to tell you what kind of pathetic run support he got with his few seasons w/ the Mariners, so W-L record means nothing.

Back to his jack of all trades .... pretty sure he threw both a 2 seamer and a 4 seam fast ball as well as a cutter ( yes that's also a fastball ) and a splitty ( technically it too is a fastball ) That is FOUR DIFFERENT FASTBALLS, pretty sure he had both slider and curve in his arsenal although he threw the 12-6 curve far more frequently than his slider. He might have only thrown 2-3 changeups per game, but he had a decent one. When the batter is facing a pitcher with half dozen or more diff pitches, that 89-91 mph fastball gets alot more lively and quick to the plate. He walked very few guys as well.

Hate on Fernando Rodney if you will ( as I hate him ) but you gotta tip your cap to a guy who throws just fastball and changeup and is still able to have a lengthy MLB career - close to 20yrs. pretty sure Rodney used a couple variants of fastballs, but it was extremely rare to see him drop a curve ball in. he had one, but you wouldn't know it by watching him pitch.

If Gibert has a 10yr big league career and posts up a sub 4.0 career ERA , then he had a marvelous career, as that is what Fister accomplished. Factor in he spent most all of those years in the AL and faced 9 legit hitters ( NL has pitchers batting ) - that makes his stats even more impressive. He spent a couple seasons with the Nats and all the rest was AL.