• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Movies Every Fan of Films Should See

Mannyrules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few lesser talked about, unique movies that I loved, and cures for the old "all Hollywood does is remakes and comic book movies."

Pan's Labyrinth - a fantasy rooted in a story about an abusive husband/father in WWII. By Guillermo del Toro. Captivating. I really liked Shape of Water, but this is even better.

The Lobster - Weirdest premise I've ever heard of. If you like Black Mirror, put this high on your list

The Big Sick - I laughed and laughed and laughed some more. Rom Com, heavy on the Com.

Her - This is where Joaquin Phoenix falls in love with his computer. He has a creepy mustache and dates an iPod...what else do you need to know?

Magnolia - I still don't really know what happened, but I loved it. Tom Cruise says '****' a lot for some reason.

Drag Me to Hell - Cheeky horror in the best sense

A Clockwork Orange - My favorite movie ever. Probably more well known than the above, but if you haven't seen it, you really should. Ultimate Cult Classic.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some other films I think every fan should see.

Bridge on the River Kwai
Doctor Zhivago
Spartacus
The Great Escape
The Magnificent 7 (the original)

Godfather I and II. I used to assume everyone has seen these but every now and then someone on this board will admit they never have. Hard to believe.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HER is a new ‘must watch’

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A trio of B&W film suggestions: Young Frankenstein, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, The Birds.

The first is a hilarious comedy, the second is a spoof of film noir which utilizes clips from old movies intertwined with new shots, the last is a great Alfred Hitchcock horror.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A trio of B&W film suggestions: Young Frankenstein, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, The Birds.

The first is a hilarious comedy, the second is a spoof of film noir which utilizes clips from old movies intertwined with new shots, the last is a great Alfred Hitchcock horror.
Nice selection. One problem - The Birds is a color movie. Perhaps you were thinking of Psycho.

Here are a few movies I haven't seen mentioned yet:

The Man From Earth (2007) - the movie consists almost entirely of a handful of people sitting in a room talking, but will still have you on the edge of your seat at times.

The Incident (1967) - very realistic portrayal of two hoodlums terrorizing passengers on a NYC Subway. Coincidentally the film debut of the "hoodlums", Tony Musante and Martin Sheen.

The Most Dangerous Game (1932) - an early horror flick. Cast includes Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong, of course both better known for King Kong made about a year later. In this movie, the island "owner" arranges for a ship to wreck, causing the passengers to be stranded on the island and later hunted as prey.

36 Hours (1964) - James Garner is an American officer who gets kidnapped by the Germans. They put on an elaborate hoax in an effort to convince him that a number of years has passed and the war is long over.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice selection. One problem - The Birds is a color movie. Perhaps you were thinking of Psycho.

I guess I must have watched it on a B&W television set, many years ago. LOL.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here are a few movies I haven't seen mentioned yet:

The Man From Earth (2007) - the movie consists almost entirely of a handful of people sitting in a room talking, but will still have you on the edge of your seat at times.

The Incident (1967) - very realistic portrayal of two hoodlums terrorizing passengers on a NYC Subway. Coincidentally the film debut of the "hoodlums", Tony Musante and Martin Sheen.

The Most Dangerous Game (1932) - an early horror flick. Cast includes Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong, of course both better known for King Kong made about a year later. In this movie, the island "owner" arranges for a ship to wreck, causing the passengers to be stranded on the island and later hunted as prey.

36 Hours (1964) - James Garner is an American officer who gets kidnapped by the Germans. They put on an elaborate hoax in an effort to convince him that a number of years has passed and the war is long over.
Major issue with the Most Dangerous Game. As a lover of literature, I can’t in good faith support an unfaithful adaptation. So while I love the story, I can’t watch it.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True Lies? really?

giphy.gif

True Lies is awesome.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Thing 1982: solid film, excellent suggestion.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High Noon (1952)
Rear Window (1954)
North By Nortwest (1959)
On the Waterfront (1954)
Vertigo (1958)
12 Angry Men (1957)
Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

I'm a huge fan of 50's movies............These are great.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High Noon (1952)
Rear Window (1954)
North By Nortwest (1959)
On the Waterfront (1954)
Vertigo (1958)
12 Angry Men (1957)
Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

I'm a huge fan of 50's movies............These are great.
Rebel Without a Cause is a film I was missing from my list. Loved Vertigo, and 12 Angry Men. Thinking my next film is going to be a Hitchcock film then a Welles film. May rewatch Touch of Evil or Chinatown.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rebel Without a Cause is a film I was missing from my list. Loved Vertigo, and 12 Angry Men. Thinking my next film is going to be a Hitchcock film then a Welles film. May rewatch Touch of Evil or Chinatown.

Touch of evil was a little too "campy" for me. Chinatown is way better imo as are the Hitchcock films mentioned.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waterworld

Jury Duty

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! -Julie Newmar

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prefer english, black and white is fine. 12 Angry Men is up there for me.

Finally watching the extended cut of Hateful 8. Never got the chance to watch it before. So far so good.

The first half of The Hateful Eight may be one of the greatest films I've ever seen. Then, the second half is sort of Tarantino bathing in his own farts. It's still very entertaining, but I felt a bit cheated. He over "Tarantino'd" it. Not the first time...

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first half of The Hateful Eight may be one of the greatest films I've ever seen. Then, the second half is sort of Tarantino bathing in his own farts. It's still very entertaining, but I felt a bit cheated. He over "Tarantino'd" it. Not the first time...
I see comparable aspects to The Thing. Thought it was a solid Tarantino entry although Jackie Brown, Reservoir Dogs, Django Unchained, and Pulp Fiction are much better.

Personally think Reservoir Dogs is head and shoulders above the rest, but that is a personal opinion I’m sure many people will want to fight with me about.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally think Reservoir Dogs is head and shoulders above the rest, but that is a personal opinion I’m sure many people will want to fight with me about.
I think Reservoir Dogs is the one where he takes the least amount of risks. Its just a darn good movie. Jackie Brown is in the same category for me although I like RD more.

You see a lot of risks in Pulp Fiction. I'd imagine my high opinion of the movie hinges on the Gold Watch sequence. If you're not of the opinion that its one of the best things Tarantino has ever done then I think the rest of the movie falls apart.

You see a lot of risks in his other movie but they do seem rather juvenile by comparison. As I've gotten older, I think those are the 3 QT movies that stand out among the rest.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The
I think Reservoir Dogs is the one where he takes the least amount of risks. Its just a darn good movie. Jackie Brown is in the same category for me although I like RD more.

You see a lot of risks in Pulp Fiction. I'd imagine my high opinion of the movie hinges on the Gold Watch sequence. If you're not of the opinion that its one of the best things Tarantino has ever done then I think the rest of the movie falls apart.

You see a lot of risks in his other movie but they do seem rather juvenile by comparison. As I've gotten older, I think those are the 3 QT movies that stand out among the rest.
Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 were solid films as well in my book, but would have to agree the other 3 are just better. Maybe Pulp Fiction is just ahead of its time and I am missing something? I feel like everyone puts it on a pedestal and I am missing something. It is a phenomenal film, but it reminds me of how I don’t think Citizen Kane is as great as it is built up to be.

Citizen Kane was ahead of it’s time and revolutionary in film making, but you can’t see that unless you watched tons of movies pre-Citizen Kane. Similar to how I have seen films inspired and directly impacted by Pulp Fiction but am oblivious to it out of ignorance.