• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Movies Every Fan of Films Should See

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Waterworld was a joke. Didn’t it tank at the box office? I know that doesn’t always make a movie bad, but normally it is an indicator. I know the film was massively expensive because they were filming on water.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Waterworld was a joke. Didn’t it tank at the box office? I know that doesn’t always make a movie bad, but normally it is an indicator. I know the film was massively expensive because they were filming on water.

It did not do well in the box office. However, it has sort of a cult following and years later it randomly began getting praise from a handful of notable people. It's one of those weird movies that some people love.

I have never seen it, but a couple of people I know have pushed it on me for a while.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It probably did tank at the box office; but it's the only Costner movie I've seen when the actor looked comfortable & competent in the role he played. Actually, he was okay in "Field of Dreams," but he looked out of his element in "Dances With Wolves."

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hombre. With Richard Boone. Maybe not a movie everyone should see but I bet a lot of people would like this Western.

Wasn't Steve McQueen in "Hombre," too?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Pulp Fiction is just ahead of its time and I am missing something? I feel like everyone puts it on a pedestal and I am missing something. It is a phenomenal film, but it reminds me of how I don’t think Citizen Kane is as great as it is built up to be.

Citizen Kane was ahead of it’s time and revolutionary in film making, but you can’t see that unless you watched tons of movies pre-Citizen Kane. Similar to how I have seen films inspired and directly impacted by Pulp Fiction but am oblivious to it out of ignorance.
Pulp Fiction was definitely ahead of its time and it had risky casting decisions at the time.

There are a couple of movies in my lifetime that have lost luster from when they came out. Jurassic Park and the Matrix are two that immediately come to mind but I'm sure there are more.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodfellas and Silence of the Lambs are also 10/10 movies that have been copied in one way or another so many times that younger generations might not fully get why they're so great.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Favorite Movies...
Office Space
Caddyshack
Green Mile
Top Gun
Unforgiven
Midnight Cowboy
Patton
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Dr. Zhivago
Shane

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OldBoy (the original, not the Spike Lee remake)

Brilliant action sequences, and a mindf*ck twist at the end.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Really don’t get it.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Did you read the book? That might help.
I did not. Am familiar with the Gonzo writing stuff etc, seen Rum Diaries. I don’t know, just seemed like nonsense. Feel like unless you have been into heavy drugs at some point it is nonsense.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not. Am familiar with the Gonzo writing stuff etc, seen Rum Diaries. I don’t know, just seemed like nonsense. Feel like unless you have been into heavy drugs at some point it is nonsense.

LOL Well it is about a crazy drug binge.

Yeah It was more timely when it was first written. ;)

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few lesser talked about, unique movies that I loved, and cures for the old "all Hollywood does is remakes and comic book movies."

Pan's Labyrinth - a fantasy rooted in a story about an abusive husband/father in WWII. By Guillermo del Toro. Captivating. I really liked Shape of Water, but this is even better.

The Lobster - Weirdest premise I've ever heard of. If you like Black Mirror, put this high on your list

The Big Sick - I laughed and laughed and laughed some more. Rom Com, heavy on the Com.

Her - This is where Joaquin Phoenix falls in love with his computer. He has a creepy mustache and dates an iPod...what else do you need to know?

Magnolia - I still don't really know what happened, but I loved it. Tom Cruise says '****' a lot for some reason.

Drag Me to Hell - Cheeky horror in the best sense

A Clockwork Orange - My favorite movie ever. Probably more well known than the above, but if you haven't seen it, you really should. Ultimate Cult Classic.

The Lobster was fucking ridiculous. Some chortles, but more annoying than good, IMO

If someone hasn't seen A Clockwork Orange, they are probably a child.