• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Average Rating of Films by Directors With 4 or More Films Seen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many of you may know, I rate films immediately after I see them on a 0-5 scale with half stars and record them. I used Tableau to create a graphic of the average rating of all the films I’ve seen by a director, when I’ve seen four or more of their films.

While I do subscribe to the auteur theory of cinema that posits that the director of a film is akin to the author of a novel, I will say that this list (obviously) does not reflect, in order, my favorite directors, which is kind of interesting IMO.

For example, Hitchcock and Kubrick are two of my favorite directors and appear at the bottom of my list. Both are hurt my numerous very bad films (The Birds: 0.5/5 stars, The Man Who Knew Too Much: 1.5/5 stars, Rear Window: 1.5/5 stars, Dr. Strangelove: 1/5 stars, Paths of Glory: 1.5/5 stars, etc.), but this does not take away the fact that they’ve made many of my favorite films.

I fucking hate Spielberg though.

D42676D7-2B7C-4486-BE1F-2D3F9F97E477.png

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling Paths of Glory or Dr. Strangelove bad movies is a heresy that cannot stand!!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling Paths of Glory or Dr. Strangelove bad movies is a heresy that cannot stand!!!
I respect that people love those two. While I stand by my ratings, I will admit that I’ve only seen both of them once. A rewatch may be in order.

I’m a huge fan of Kubrick, and nearly all of his films were disavowed/misunderstood when first released, only to grow in critical stature exponentially in the decades that followed. I freely admit that I may have fallen into that trap, but based off of the first viewing of both films (which is all I can go off of right now), I’m not a fan.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, movies are something that is purely a personal taste thing. Take Kubrick, for example. Obviously, Dr. Strangelove is one of my favs and I absolutely hate 2001 so it is what it is. Another director (although not on your chart) that a lot of people like but I can't stand is James Cameron. I hated Titanic, for example.And aside from the CGI, Avatar was a steaming pile of crap yet it was enormously successful.But again, just my personal taste.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, he also hates The Godfather movies, so you have to know the source...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, he also hates The Godfather movies, so you have to know the source...
I think The Godfather Part II is a very good film.

So, just so we’re clear, there isn’t a single film that is universally acclaimed that you dislike? You just move in lockstep with what everyone else thinks? 95% on RT == Calsnowskier automatically loves it?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any Jim Jarmusch fans? I’ve caught onto him recently. One of the best directors still making movies today, IMO.

Can’t wait til The Dead Don’t Die is available on Amazon

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gee two of favorites from Kubrick.. Dr Strangelove is somewhat dated with it's Cold War terminology but it's still a brilliant film. Path of Glory hasn't aged other than being in black and white.

Don't even get me started on Rear Window!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect that people love those two. While I stand by my ratings, I will admit that I’ve only seen both of them once. A rewatch may be in order.

I’m a huge fan of Kubrick, and nearly all of his films were disavowed/misunderstood when first released, only to grow in critical stature exponentially in the decades that followed. I freely admit that I may have fallen into that trap, but based off of the first viewing of both films (which is all I can go off of right now), I’m not a fan.

Paths of Glory was one of Hollywood's very first anti-war movies. France banned the film when it came out because they couldn't accept it's anti-WWI message.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paths of Glory was one of Hollywood's very first anti-war movies. France banned the film when it came out because they couldn't accept it's anti-WWI message.
I don’t remember the film being implicitly anti-war. More like anti-corrupt and cowardly assholes who lead wars.

Which I guess could be interpreted as anti-war.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t remember the film being implicitly anti-war. More like anti-corrupt and cowardly assholes who lead wars.

Which I guess could be interpreted as anti-war.

It was an indictment of the French military during the Great War and how thoughtless they were with regards to the lives of their soldiers.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any Jim Jarmusch fans? I’ve caught onto him recently. One of the best directors still making movies today, IMO.

Can’t wait til The Dead Don’t Die is available on Amazon

I and my then GF now wife saw Stranger Than Paradise at the Art Institute here when it came out... 84-ish. We were both quite buzzed and found the deadpan humor hilarious. Not too many others were laughing out loud, but we were very amused. It left an impression. But I just looked at his filmography and realized that Broken Flowers, which I also enjoyed, is the only other of his I've seen. Any other recommendations ?