• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: MNF game 2: Minnesota @ Philadelphia 8:30 pm EST on ABC

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vikings played the same soft shell that the Eagles play.
Last season, the Eagles made good QBs look great and great QBs look like HOF material.

Something has changed in their defensive scheme, might be talent, but the Eagles had 11 passes defensed last night.
That seems like a season total. Slay had 5 alone.

Slay is a fricking Viking killer. He has looked like Ty Law against us every time he has played us since he joined the Lions back in the day. Dude is a stud.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about the Minnesota defensive approach is, maybe with better talent that would actually work? I think the Vikes not only played a soft shell coverage but also had breakdowns defensively and gave up big plays, the exact opposite of what such a scheme is supposed to do.

The one thing that has stood out to me these first couple of games is the lack of team defensive speed. You going to play a lot of zone, you need guys that cover big areas. And we just dont have that.

Despite having a bad defense, we actually have an incredibly old defense. Our 2 main LB's are probably the older than anyone's in the league in Hicks and Kendricks. Asking those 2 to cover huge areas just isnt going to work anymore. And with the scheme they played last night, those 2 both needed to stop the run without any secondary help plus needed to get 10-12 yard depth on a pass play. It's impossible for those 2 guys to do both of those things.

I do think one of the reasons you saw that scheme last night was nothing more than fear. And I guess I get it to a certain extent. Patrick Peterson and Danzler wouldnt hold up long having to go one on one in tight coverage against Smith and Brown. That is really what monsters on the outside do to the type of defenses you see. It is only when WR's are dictating the defensive calls you are seeing when you know you actually have true impact WR's. And as of last night, the Eagles are there. Took 1 week of the Lions getting their ass whipped by Brown to get there.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that has stood out to me these first couple of games is the lack of team defensive speed. You going to play a lot of zone, you need guys that cover big areas. And we just dont have that.

Despite having a bad defense, we actually have an incredibly old defense. Our 2 main LB's are probably the older than anyone's in the league in Hicks and Kendricks. Asking those 2 to cover huge areas just isnt going to work anymore. And with the scheme they played last night, those 2 both needed to stop the run without any secondary help plus needed to get 10-12 yard depth on a pass play. It's impossible for those 2 guys to do both of those things.

I do think one of the reasons you saw that scheme last night was nothing more than fear. And I guess I get it to a certain extent. Patrick Peterson and Danzler wouldnt hold up long having to go one on one in tight coverage against Smith and Brown. That is really what monsters on the outside do to the type of defenses you see. It is only when WR's are dictating the defensive calls you are seeing when you know you actually have true impact WR's. And as of last night, the Eagles are there. Took 1 week of the Lions getting their ass whipped by Brown to get there.
Its only 2 games. Plenty of time to get the defense figured out. Teams will get the Eagles figured out, as well. Cards started 7-0 last year and for the most part looked unstoppable during that stretch. They dropped like a Led Zeppelin in the end.

Not saying this situation is the same, but adjustments will be made, injuries will happen, good teams will look bad, and bad teams will look good. That is the NFL

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about the Minnesota defensive approach is, maybe with better talent that would actually work? I think the Vikes not only played a soft shell coverage but also had breakdowns defensively and gave up big plays, the exact opposite of what such a scheme is supposed to do.
I feel like the plan hinged on Hurts being an athlete playing QB and not an athletic QB. Last night was really his first action where I saw him actually playing the role of NFL QB, dissecting a defense with his head and his decision making knowing that the defense can’t shut down all aspects of a well conceived play. The scheme only works if you’re playing a QB that can’t get the job done.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the Bucs played a similar style of D in the playoffs last year and ate Hurts up. But maybe he has a) Improved and b) Has better receivers now thanks to AJ Brown and the growth of Devonta Smith.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the Bucs played a similar style of D in the playoffs last year and ate Hurts up. But maybe he has a) Improved and b) Has better receivers now thanks to AJ Brown and the growth of Devonta Smith.

Hurts had guys open that day and didn’t see them.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before crowning the Eagles and Hurts, I think I need to see them beat a good team with a real defensive scheme. I am not sure what the Vikings were doing last night but they should have adjusted. So far we have seen two teams take two very different approaches, with Detroit blitzing a lot and Minnesota playing a soft shell defense all game. Neither worked much. I think at some point we will see coordinators mix it up much more to try and confuse Hurts, because right now he has been able to pick these schemes apart once he understood what they kept showing him.

Detroit I think might be pretty good, so maybe the Eagles are legit, we shall see.
You've got a real gem over there in RTK. I'm sure he's going to bring all that positive juju to the team.

The best team in the NFC
Going to the SB

All based on beating 2 non-playoff, below .500 teams from a year ago.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before crowning the Eagles and Hurts, I think I need to see them beat a good team with a real defensive scheme. I am not sure what the Vikings were doing last night but they should have adjusted. So far we have seen two teams take two very different approaches, with Detroit blitzing a lot and Minnesota playing a soft shell defense all game. Neither worked much. I think at some point we will see coordinators mix it up much more to try and confuse Hurts, because right now he has been able to pick these schemes apart once he understood what they kept showing him.

Detroit I think might be pretty good, so maybe the Eagles are legit, we shall see.
Washington will be a good road test. Eagles coming off a big emotional win on national tv on a short week. Team played well and Gannon's defense did a solid job. Let's see if Gannon can do it again.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got a real gem over there in RTK. I'm sure he's going to bring all that positive juju to the team.

The best team in the NFC
Going to the SB

All based on beating 2 non-playoff, below .500 teams from a year ago.
I don't think it's much of a stretch to call him a hero. He's gone a long way towards atoning for the negativity and pessimism of Eagles fans from previous generations. I'd like to think if he was around in the 60's the crowd would have sang carols and given milk and cookies to Santa instead of booing him and throwing snowballs.......

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slay is a fricking Viking killer. He has looked like Ty Law against us every time he has played us since he joined the Lions back in the day. Dude is a stud.
Imagine if Patricia had not accused him of sucking dick for giving praise to a rookie. Lions could be looking at a CB duo of Slay and Okudah, that would be pretty solid!

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize Matt Patricia was trending on social media last night. I think the only people more upset watching that Eagles game than the Vikings fans are the Lions fans watching Slay ball out and wondering why Patricia forced him out of town.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize Matt Patricia was trending on social media last night. I think the only people more upset watching that Eagles game than the Vikings fans are the Lions fans watching Slay ball out and wondering why Patricia forced him out of town.
First thing Patricia ever said to Slay was "You are not elite" that was right after he got all pro with 8 picks. The tear down of him for lifting up a player was the last straw. Patricia being a dick led to quite a few Lions players leaving. He might be the worst coach in Lions history, and that is one crazy competitive category.