• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: MNF game 2: Minnesota @ Philadelphia 8:30 pm EST on ABC

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a field goal better than the Lions, so it checks out.

They let you play catchup. Let's see the Lions win more than 7 games this year and maybe they can meet the Eagles again in Philly.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk 7 to 9 win cousins. Put his ass out to pasture like old yeller.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is the reason we will win 7-10 games this year. And only 7-10 games. With cousins, you will always be average.
Facts are facts. The dude literally looks like he is on crack when it matters. Biggest choker in the NFL, bar none.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what the Vikings are trying to do defensively, but it's not working.
They came in trying to gang up on the run and make Hurts be a QB to beat them and Hurts just shit on that idea. For the first time in his career, Hurts looked like a legit QB.

Scariest part of last night is that they dominated the game and still have room to get much much better. The penalties have to get fixed for one. The Eagles OL alone had like 8 penalties. The Eagles OL had more stops than the Vikings defense.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a field goal better than the Lions, so it checks out.
No 2nd half points last night from the Eagles. This team has a long ways to go when it comes to playing a complete football game. They took their foot off of Detroit’s throat last week. Hopefully, it’s just a product of the decision to hold these guys out of preseason and they’re just trying to find their legs. They catch Washington and Jacksonville the next two weeks. Once they get out of that, you hope they’re rounding into form.

This schedule looks really manageable.
@ Washington
Jacksonville
@ Arizona
Dallas
Bye
Steelers
@ Houston
Washington
@ Colts
Green Bay
Tennessee
@ Giants
@ Bears
@ Cowboys
Saints
Giants

The only games they may not be favored are @ Dallas (if Dak is back) @ Cardinals or Green Bay.

Eagles can legit compete for a playoff bye with that schedule.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before crowning the Eagles and Hurts, I think I need to see them beat a good team with a real defensive scheme. I am not sure what the Vikings were doing last night but they should have adjusted. So far we have seen two teams take two very different approaches, with Detroit blitzing a lot and Minnesota playing a soft shell defense all game. Neither worked much. I think at some point we will see coordinators mix it up much more to try and confuse Hurts, because right now he has been able to pick these schemes apart once he understood what they kept showing him.

Detroit I think might be pretty good, so maybe the Eagles are legit, we shall see.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They came in trying to gang up on the run and make Hurts be a QB to beat them and Hurts just shit on that idea. For the first time in his career, Hurts looked like a legit QB.

Scariest part of last night is that they dominated the game and still have room to get much much better. The penalties have to get fixed for one. The Eagles OL alone had like 8 penalties. The Eagles OL had more stops than the Vikings defense.

What game did you watch?

The Vikes did literally the exact opposite of that. You can count on one hand the times the Vikings had extra defenders in the box to try and stop the run. The entire game the Vikings played the same basic shell coverage where the CB‘ played 7 yards off the LOS and never pressed the WR’s and they always had safeties playing deep with the philosophy being to keep everything in front of them.

In other words they basically played a prevent defense the entire game.

It was as poor of a defensive game plan as I have ever seen. It is almost like our D coordinator got stuck on repeat. With our CB’s against their WR, I knew we weren’t going to see a lot of aggressive blitzes with man coverage behind it. But he at least could have lined up the defense differently to make Hurts and the Eagles think something different was coming. But they never did. They lined up showing shell coverage and they played that on virtually ever snap.

Mind boggling how they never once got aggressive.….and not only did they not get aggressive but they never once came up and acted like they were going to get aggressive and back out of it. This will be the easiest game to read defenses of Hurts career. The Vikes showed pre-snap that they weren’t going to be exotic…..and they always followed through on that post snap.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mediocre Cousins would have been refreshing last night.

Cousins over the years has only got rattled about 3 or 4 times really bad with the Vikes. And last night was as bad as we have seen it.

He literally just threw the ball up for grabs like 4 or 5 times in the 2nd half of the game with little plan for where the football was going….he just knew he didn’t want it anymore. You just don’t see that at the NFL level. There is a big difference between throwing it up and throwing it away and when Cousins really gets rattled he just throws it up. He gets so amped up that I don’t think his brain functions or something.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What game did you watch?

The Vikes did literally the exact opposite of that. You can count on one hand the times the Vikings had extra defenders in the box to try and stop the run. The entire game the Vikings played the same basic shell coverage where the CB‘ played 7 yards off the LOS and never pressed the WR’s and they always had safeties playing deep with the philosophy being to keep everything in front of them.

It was as poor of a defensive game plan as I have ever seen. It is almost like our D coordinator got stuck on repeat. With our CB’s against their WR, I knew we weren’t going to see a lot of aggressive blitzes with man coverage behind it. But he at least could have lined up the defense differently to make Hurts and the Eagles think something different was coming. But they never did. They lined up showing shell coverage and they played that on virtually ever snap.

Mind boggling how they never once got aggressive.….and not only did they not get aggressive but they never once came up and acted like they were going to get aggressive and back out of it. This will be the easiest game to read defenses of Hurts career. The Vikes showed pre-snap that they weren’t going to be exotic…..and they always followed through on that post snap.
I felt like they did commit to stopping the run and that’s seen in them keeping a 6 man box vs 3 WR 1 TE looks. Most NFL teams will take one of the 6 out of the box and play with 5. I think you need to update your rules for what constitutes committing to stop the run. You really don’t see that traditional safety coming down in the box anymore. These safeties are too good. They can play with heels at 15 yards and still get to the alley to contact the back at 2-3 yards. Their commitment to stop run can also be seen in the technique played by the ends. I felt like it was clear that their plan was to throw zone at Hurts with a 4 man rush and make him make good decisions with the football. They weren’t ready for the steps Hurts has taken forward. I’ll be honest, I don’t blame them. I would make Hurts beat me to based on past performance.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What game did you watch?

Additionally, I wouldn’t play much man vs Hurts. That lets him off the hook. He’s most comfortable taking his first read and staying with it through the first 2-3 seconds of the play with his second option taking off. That’s easier for him to employ vs man to man looks. The Hurts book is going to be similar to the Lamar book. Zone it up because QB run is the biggest threat in the pass game. The goal for Eagles and Ravens is for the QB to evolve and to keep beating zone with their decision making and their arm.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What game did you watch?

The Vikings played the same soft shell that the Eagles play.
Last season, the Eagles made good QBs look great and great QBs look like HOF material.

Something has changed in their defensive scheme, might be talent, but the Eagles had 11 passes defensed last night.
That seems like a season total. Slay had 5 alone.

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to admit it, but congrats RTK. You may definately have the best offense in the NFC and if I was picking the Superbowl right now I would probably be leaning Bills vs Eagles. You guys look damn good.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to admit it, but congrats RTK. You may definately have the best offense in the NFC and if I was picking the Superbowl right now I would probably be leaning Bills vs Eagles. You guys look damn good.
There’s a ton of football left to be played. Obviously 2-0 is great but let’s not get carried away. Still much to prove like can they consistently get great play from the QB position.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about the Minnesota defensive approach is, maybe with better talent that would actually work? I think the Vikes not only played a soft shell coverage but also had breakdowns defensively and gave up big plays, the exact opposite of what such a scheme is supposed to do.