• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MMQB's Albert Breer reports Washington is "preparing to take a big swing at a quarterback" this offseason.

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with everything you have written here, and without clarity the NFL can't act either. Given that, he was eligible to play this past year. It was his decision to not play for them. I'm pretty sure that any move against him prior to getting any clarity and the league faces legal problems. Bottom line, if everything remains the same, he plays!
the question being how long everything remains the same.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with everything you have written here, and without clarity the NFL can't act either. Given that, he was eligible to play this past year. It was his decision to not play for them. I'm pretty sure that any move against him prior to getting any clarity and the league faces legal problems. Bottom line, if everything remains the same, he plays!
If i were him or his agent or legal representatives, I'd take the same route. He stayed out for a year, but he's not gonna bench himself for 2 years. That is asking too much of any professional athlete (except, apparently, Ben Simmons).

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If i were him or his agent or legal representatives, I'd take the same route. He stayed out for a year, but he's not gonna bench himself for 2 years. That is asking too much of any professional athlete (except, apparently, Ben Simmons).
Ya know what man, the more I think about this, I am increasingly convinced that the cost to get him won't be as much as the Texans actually are asking for in trade. Seems to me that all things considered, it's a buyers' market!

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please clarify as I thought it was the Texans decision to leave him on the active roster but not play him, not Watson's?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please clarify as I thought it was the Texans decision to leave him on the active roster but not play him, not Watson's?
I'm not familiar with which rules apply and which ones don't in this situation but this is a pretty good explanation, based upon n his refusal to ever play for Houston again...

"NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters the league didn't have enough information about the lawsuits to make a decision on potential discipline for Watson. The information it did have wasn't enough to place the quarterback on the commissioner's exempt list.

If Watson is put on the list, he would be paid -- as he is now -- but not allowed to practice or play. Because Goodell didn't put Watson on the exempt list, the Texans are carrying him on their 53-man roster and making him a healthy scratch on game day. Watson gets a $620,000 game check each week even though he is deactivated.

If the Texans trade Watson before June 1, Houston would take on $16.2 million in dead money on their 2022 salary cap. If the trade happens after June 1, there would be $5.4 million of dead money against the cap in 2022 and $10.8 million the next year."

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not familiar with which rules apply and which ones don't in this situation but this is a pretty good explanation, based upon n his refusal to ever play for Houston again...

"NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters the league didn't have enough information about the lawsuits to make a decision on potential discipline for Watson. The information it did have wasn't enough to place the quarterback on the commissioner's exempt list.

If Watson is put on the list, he would be paid -- as he is now -- but not allowed to practice or play. Because Goodell didn't put Watson on the exempt list, the Texans are carrying him on their 53-man roster and making him a healthy scratch on game day. Watson gets a $620,000 game check each week even though he is deactivated.

If the Texans trade Watson before June 1, Houston would take on $16.2 million in dead money on their 2022 salary cap. If the trade happens after June 1, there would be $5.4 million of dead money against the cap in 2022 and $10.8 million the next year."
Right, so it was the Texans decision to put Watson on the 53 then deactivate him each week but pay him. I know at one point he was practicing in some capacity with the team to avoid any fines etc but not once did I see him REFUSE to play and thus, if you are deactivated by your team on game day, you cannot play. Either way with a trade, they pay the full amount of dead cap money so why not take the hit this year and trade him before March 16th and get it over with? They know and he know's he will never play in Houston again.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans had Watson playing safety in practice.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, so it was the Texans decision to put Watson on the 53 then deactivate him each week but pay him. I know at one point he was practicing in some capacity with the team to avoid any fines etc but not once did I see him REFUSE to play and thus, if you are deactivated by your team on game day, you cannot play. Either way with a trade, they pay the full amount of dead cap money so why not take the hit this year and trade him before March 16th and get it over with? They know and he know's he will never play in Houston again.
Correct! They will absolutely trade him before June 1st.

Now I'm not a lawyer but I believe that had they deactivated him and he was not allowed to practice, they might have been in breach of contract, thus freeing him to sign elsewhere almost as soon as they did this. I don't believe that they had a choice in keeping him active. Could be completely wrong but that's my reading of this situation. In as much as telling them that he won't play for them, there were many reports, here are two...

NFL: Deshaun Watson Is Reportedly Willing To Sit Out ...

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Desha...589j0j1&pglt=427&PC=U531&first=21&FORM=PERE1#

Deshaun Watson told David Culley he doesn’t want to play ...

texanswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/25/deshaun-watson-told-david-culley-doesnt …

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one thinking Texans still may draft a QB first round?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one thinking Texans still may draft a QB first round?
No, but I am pretty sure that they too will take a swing at one of the big names AND the secondary market of QB's, I don't see them spending selection #3 on a QB, considering the class, it's a desperate move to over-value any of these guys.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put in a good word Allen.
Screenshot_20220204-185330_Instagram.jpg

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I am pretty sure that they too will take a swing at one of the big names AND the secondary market of QB's, I don't see them spending selection #3 on a QB, considering the class, it's a desperate move to over-value any of these guys.

Aiden & Kayvon will likely be gone, I could see Evan Neal. I guess with a new coach coming in, don't you get a new QB instead of what's there?
You can still rob another team for Watson....Stingley Jr and Hamilton don't seem like good value at 3....that's just me
i do see what you're saying though

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think they'll insist on a clarification of Watson's playing status. These lawsuits aren't going away anytime soon, and even though the claims are disturbing, he's not been charged with a single crime for any of it (it's a civil suit for money). With that assumption, will the league let him play in 2022 or not? No way they wander in franchise QB limbo for a 2nd season. Whether he can play or not will determine what the Texans can get in a trade for him.
If Watson starts paying lawsuits or is found guilty in civil court, but no criminal charges are ever filed against him. Can the Texans claim Watson breached his contract?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Watson starts paying lawsuits or is found guilty in civil court, but no criminal charges are ever filed against him. Can the Texans claim Watson breached his contract?
It depends on the particular language of his contract. Could they? Maybe. Would they? No.

First, From what I know of "talent" contracts (actors, athletes, personalities, etc.), there is usually a moral turpitude clause that lets the employer fire them with cause and avoid having to pay their contract if they get sued or prosecuted for things like sex assault or fraud. NFL contracts might have that in it too, but I don't think it really matters b/c...

Second, a finding of fault in civil court, could make him eligible for suspension by the NFL and the Texans. Any settlements he makes with the women will include nondisclosure agreements, so the women can't say anything else, and provisions stipulating that Watson does not admit to doing anything wrong, so there is no "proof" that he was guilty, making it difficult for the team to say Watson breached his contract.

Third, even if the Texans found that Watson breached his deal, their remedy would be to cut him without owing him any further money and probably lets them recoup the unaccrued bonus money they already paid, or the team or league could suspend him without pay. However, if the TExans cut him, Watson would be snapped up by another team almost overnight. And suspending him without pay will only harden his stance toward the team and could result in a lawsuit and a grievance through the union.

In short, even if the Texans could claim that Watson breached his contract, why would they? Let's suppose they use a settlement or finding of guilt to suspend Watson without paying him. Well, Watson's pay would probably still count against the cap. While the team would save the cash of having to pay him, that is a drop in the bucket for NFL owners. I don't see a real benefit for the Texans to claim that Watson breached his deal. Am i missing something?

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont see anything wrong there outlaw