• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The answers to all your questions on why the Bears drafted Trubisky are in this article

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an depth long article on why the Bears now have Trubisky! All your questions should be answered if you have time to read the full article it is a bit long.

Click link for full article it is very long and am guessing maybe only Bears fans will want to read it all:

Why did the Bears draft Mitch Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson?

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell stepped to the lectern. “With the second pick in the 2017 NFL draft ...”

I: ‘The Chicago Bears select Mitchell Trubisky’
The cameras were rolling behind the scenes on that Thursday night in April. In Lake Forest and in Philadelphia. In this document-and-share age, the landmark moment required immediate cinematic treatment.

Bears general manager Ryan Pace had sent a jolt through the draft, trading up from No. 3 to No. 2 to select North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

It was a surprising and pivotal moment, arguably the franchise’s most significant move of the past decade. With so much adrenaline pumping, the cameras kept rolling, gathering moments that the organization could splice together for a fan-enticing social media montage.

The resulting video — 1 minute, 51 seconds — premiered on the Bears’ official Twitter account the next morning.

There was Pace, upstairs at Halas Hall, congratulating colleagues in the draft room and emphasizing the collective belief the Bears had in identifying Trubisky as the quarterback they just couldn’t live without.

“That’s conviction,” Pace said. “On a quarterback.”

There was Trubisky, 790 miles away, backstage at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, beaming with pride while on the phone with Bears coach John Fox.

“I’m glad I landed in the right spot,” the 22-year-old quarterback said. “We’re going to make it work. It’s going to be perfect.”

April 27, 2017.

The Trubisky selection was the first of three milestone quarterback moves that night.

Within a span of 1 hour and 14 minutes, three general managers got what they wanted. Each traded up in the first round. Each took a bold swing at a franchise quarterback. And after their war-room hugs and high-fives and celebrations were complete, each openly detailed that night’s meaningful decision.

With an undeniable rush, Pace expounded upon his philosophy of never having regrets, about making damn certain he would get the player he truly wanted. He highlighted Trubisky’s accuracy, his ability to see and process the entire field, his knack for extending plays. He emphasized his unwavering belief that Trubisky had great “potential to be a championship quarterback,” the key cog in allowing the Bears to enjoy sustained success.

“When you have an opportunity to get a quarterback of this caliber, you can't pass on it,” Pace said.

In Kansas City, GM John Dorsey jumped 17 spots — from No. 27 to No. 10 — to select Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes.

The Chiefs already had a reliable quarterback in veteran Alex Smith and a playoff-caliber team that had won 12 games the previous season. Still, in Mahomes, Dorsey and his talent evaluation team saw a transcendent talent with comic-book arm strength, impressive athleticism and a penchant for creating big plays.

Finally, in Houston, the Texans were preparing to plaster Clemson’s Deshaun Watson all over the city — on billboards, on media guides, on ticket stubs. Who wouldn’t be excited about landing a quarterback who posted a 32-3 record as a college starter, becoming a Heisman Trophy runner-up and a national champion in the process?

No wonder Texans GM Rick Smith felt compelled to trade up from No. 25 to No. 12.

As it always goes on draft weekend, each organization felt invigorated, sensing unbridled promise for its future. But now, a little more than 2½ years later, the review of that night and that entire pre-draft process feels so much different.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had questions?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes you take a swing, and sometimes you smack it out of the park, and sometimes you just swing and miss, Big!

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Trubisky's a distant 3rd in the comparison with Mahomes and Watson. Stiil I think he's a decent QB who can be a serviceable NFL starter.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Watson really bad. I talked myself into Trubisky after the draft.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With an undeniable rush, Pace expounded upon his philosophy of never having regrets, about making damn certain he would get the player he truly wanted.
Oh, I’m sure that dumbass has a regret...

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the long article Trubisky was ranked #1 by many not just the Bears GM

IV: How the experts rated the 2017 quarterback class
It is both easy and wholly unfair to apply revisionist history to the 2017 draft, to argue that the Bears’ selection of Mitch Trubisky over Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes was reckless and out of touch with the league consensus.

The fact is, NFL talent evaluators and draft analysts were divided and perplexed on how to stack the quarterback class.

Mike Mayock, for example, arrived at the scouting combine that February touting Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer as the No. 1 quarterback. Mayock, then an NFL Network analyst and now general manager of the Raiders, acknowledged Kizer wasn’t ready to be an immediate starter and had inconsistent mechanics. But Mayock also raved about Kizer’s ceiling, calling him “the prototype NFL quarterback.”

Big arm, Mayock said. Quick release. Smart. Athletic.

Eight weeks later, Mayock had reordered and finalized his quarterback rankings: Watson jumped to the top of the list, followed by Trubisky, Mahomes, Kizer and California’s Davis Webb.

That’s a small reminder of how fluid these rankings can be, how inexact a science the evaluation process and projection game truly is.

In more than a few circles, Trubisky was tabbed as the best pro prospect, lauded for his accuracy and quick release, his mobility and pocket awareness.

In the spring of 2017, a wide majority of major publications pegged him as the top quarterback in their mock drafts. Sports Illustrated. Fox Sports. The Washington Post. USA Today. CBS Sports. The Los Angeles Times.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper also arrived for draft weekend with Trubisky as his top-rated quarterback and No. 19 prospect overall, followed by Mahomes (No. 26), Watson (No. 34) and Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman (No. 59).

His colleague Todd McShay ranked the top five quarterbacks as Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Kizer and Tennessee’s Josh Dobbs. But in McShay’s opinion at that time, none was worthy of a first-round grade.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have time to read all that.

Just figured the Bears had Miss Cleo as a consultant.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone that watched the ACC and college football those years knows how stupid the Bears are.
To take Trubs over Watson?? It was the most retarded move I’ve seen. Worse than when the Rams took Sam Bradford. I was laughing on every thread here at tHoop go back and look

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't take issue with Tribusky being the first QB drafted, I had issue with him going #2 especially with the trade up to do so.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically, the Bears scouting staff and management looked at these guys and said,"Let's see, we have an athletic black kid that plays big in big games with a National Championship, a mixed race kid with a cannon for an arm that can throw off of any platform, and a kid who will need some development but damn, he's a tall white kid that can grow a beard. Well, fuck, the beard wins. Yeah, baby! Btw, is Trubisky Polish?"

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Bears traded up to take Trubs I was so happy because I knew the Bears were going to stay irrelevant for much longer