• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota game notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon isn't a priority for two more years - Bowman and Goldson are priorities this year - Goldson didn't become a full time starter until '09, but since that time he has aggregately matched Ed Reeds performance.

Granted the age difference between Reed and Goldson does make a difference; but, Goldson, like Anthony Davis, is much, MUCH better than some/many 49er fans seem to think he is.

And for those that didn't know, even if the 49ers wanted to sign Aldon Smith long-term right now, they can't. The new CBA states that no rookie contract can be renegotiated, amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player's third contract year. (An UDFA can not have his contract renegotiated, amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player's second contract year.)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What'd I miss???

Your assessment that Lott over-valued Goldson's long term ROI - Lott never said anything about what to expect in the future. He commented only on Goldson's current abilities and that they were worth keeping. As I said, Lott is correct.

Now, if you want to say he is correct up to a certain value or that he is wrong based on a presumed value that's fine. But nowhere did Lott indicate what we should expect in the future he only and accurately defined what we have in the present.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I mentioned Aldon Smith, I meant that it appears he may be a $100 million dollar guy because of his position and what may be a ton of the sexy stats... sacks.

So signing Goldson long-term to the kind of contract he wants, potentially lowers the amount of money left over for Aldon down the road.

Fortunately the 49ers don't have a ton of money locked up on offensive players outside of the O-Line, but that can always change.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Your assessment that Lott over-valued Goldson's long term ROI - Lott never said anything about what to expect in the future. He commented only on Goldson's current abilities and that they were worth keeping. As I said, Lott is correct.

Yes. Lott didn't break it down like a GM. He just said he'd like to see Goldson have a long-term contract. I was just commenting that he's not exactly the most objective person to be saying that would be a good thing. That's all.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I mentioned Aldon Smith, I meant that it appears he may be a $100 million dollar guy because of his position and what may be a ton of the sexy stats... sacks.

So signing Goldson long-term to the kind of contract he wants, potentially lowers the amount of money left over for Aldon down the road.

Fortunately the 49ers don't have a ton of money locked up on offensive players outside of the O-Line, but that can always change.

Add to that Alex Smith's new 7yr $125 Million dollar contract after winning SB MVP (#1 of 2 of course) and I could be wrong - we may lose our entire defense - haha.

Yeah, your point is certainly valid but not entirely unique - However, what does make your point more interesting is the lack of any increase in the salary cap for the next two years.

So, yeah, we will be losing some names around 2014 for sure - and on that note I'm officially depressed.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Lott didn't break it down like a GM. He just said he'd like to see Goldson have a long-term contract. I was just commenting that he's not exactly the most objective person to be saying that would be a good thing. That's all.

What is going to be interesting to watch is how the values for FS's rise over the next year or two due to the changing dynamics of the league. What may be overpaying for an "average" FS this year may not be next year. Just a thought.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You may have a point. I just wonder if he'll be easier or harder to replace a guy like Sopoaga. Soap's been playing amazing since lasy year. They both have.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may have a point. I just wonder if he'll be easier or harder to replace a guy like Sopoaga. Soap's been playing amazing since lasy year. They both have.

That is a good question as well - What is a blessing today will become a curse in the near future - thus the urgency to win now.

As for who we keep, IMO, it comes down to the draft, FA, who we have behind each player, the value of each player in our scheme, market value and how much they're looking for among other things.

No doubt some nightmarish decisions coming for Mr. Baalke & Co.

Last edited by a moderator:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I'm trying to find where I read it but Sopoaga has only played 15 of 137 snaps so far this year.

Granted, the teams we have played run a little bit different of an offense but we really do not need Sopoaga for our defense. He really isnt that important at all comparatively.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to find where I read it but Sopoaga has only played 15 of 137 snaps so far this year.

Granted, the teams we have played run a little bit different of an offense but we really do not need Sopoaga for our defense. He really isnt that important at all comparatively.

But Sop is a wall for our run defense. The GBs, DETs, NEs, NOs etc... he may not be a regular in playing them but he's a big component for our run defense nonetheless IMO.

But saying that, hopefully resigning him wouldn't cost us too much?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good question as well - What is a blessing today will become a curse in the near future - thus the urgency to win now.

As for who we keep, IMO, it comes down to the draft, FA, who we have behind each player, the value of each player in our scheme, market value and how much they're looking for among other things.

No doubt some nightmarish decisions coming for Mr. Baalke & Co.

Well here's to next year's draft class of FS showing some legit promise. If not, Goldson must be signed IMO.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers again choose Youngstown for 5-day layover

Immediately after Sunday's game against the Vikings, the 49ers will take a 90-minute flight to Youngstown, where the players and staff will prepare Monday through Friday for the Sept. 30 game against the Jets in East Rutherford, N.J.

The 49ers will save themselves more than 6 1/2 hours of flight time between games with their five-day layover in Youngstown.