• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Cap-hell

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
couldn't have said it better Ducky. Too many people think they understand the Cap and what many don't get is there is a difference between actual cash paid and that of the Cap Hit. It is not like other sports where the whole contract is guaranteed from day one meaning teams can manipulate when hits come and how they come and if they want to change the hit. Like you said they can restructure where it cost the player nothing, gives the player more security in the long run actually, and helps the team in that year with the cap without adding a ton to other years. Such as moving that down to say $17 million. That cap hit only adds maybe an extra $2 million a year cap hit wise which is nothing.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep agreed and I don't think that you'll find too many people who wouldn't trade Wallace and Odrick for Suh. Would you South?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Miami now the AFC East champions to be?????

And one more thing: If you are picking the 2019 AFCE favorite to win the division, I would bet Miami.

They are the only team in the division that we know for sure is going to have a legit NFL QB by that point.

This was a move to get one dominant piece in place to build around moving forward. Works in the present and it should work in the future if Suh plays like most expect him to for the next 6 years. Haynesworth still scares people too much because of the drop off he had. Traditionally DT is a position that ages quite well. Even when they lose their pass rush push, they still are monster pluggers that free up other people (best comparison is Ngata IMO).

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one more thing: If you are picking the 2019 AFCE favorite to win the division, I would bet Miami.

They are the only team in the division that we know for sure is going to have a legit NFL QB by that point.

This was a move to get one dominant piece in place to build around moving forward. Works in the present and it should work in the future if Suh plays like most expect him to for the next 6 years. Haynesworth still scares people too much because of the drop off he had. Traditionally DT is a position that ages quite well. Even when they lose their pass rush push, they still are monster pluggers that free up other people (best comparison is Ngata IMO).
How about Wilfork....he had a bad injury and still played well after. They last as they don't rely solely on speed like most positions do.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odrick + Wallace would have cost Miami an average of about $18M per season. Suh averages right around $19M. If all the Dolphins do is resign Odrick and keep Wallace would anyone even for a second thought about the possible cap hell Miami is facing? No. One big Suh contract is the exact same as two good vet contracts. Miami choose to move forward with 1 great player rather than 2 solid but not great players.

There are obviously other factors that make those two scenarios different (Suh costs more cash up front and the promises to him last longer) but in terms of cap hits over the next 3 seasons they are virtually identical (or can be made so with the sweep of a pen).

Restructures are not gifts from players. It's paperwork. The media is idiotic when it comes to reporting it. ESPN for Watt's contract restructure the other day had the opening line of the story "Watt is the gift that keeps on giving" or something to that effect. It's moronic. All Watt did was agree to take a huge check that Houston was scheduled to pay him and agreed to call it a signing bonus instead of a roster bonus. He isn't getting paid one cent less than what he was scheduled to make. And in fact by accepting to make the change, it actually decreases the likelihood that Houston would cut him in the future if his play severely declined tomorrow because the new structure of the contract would increase his accelerated cap hit if Houston released or traded.

There are times when players give back money. But Miami wouldn't be asking Suh to do that. They would just be asking him to take the same amount of money he was scheduled to make and call it something else. And in Suh's case it would be more beneficial to him because he would be converting a huge base salary to a signing bonus so he would get $15M of the $23M of the base salary he is due to make as game checks and get it paid up front before the season starts as a signing bonus. And if the Phin's do that they can turn his cap hit next year from $28M to less than $17M. As I said: Cap hit is nothing more but numbers on a piece of paper. All of it is easily manipulated. And pushing cap hits forward these days isn't that big of deal knowing that a $180M salary cap looms in the future before Suh's contract ever plays out.

So you acknowledge the cap hit next year of $27 million as too much and with the "sweep of the pen" you will just push it forward?

I am a business man. Manipulating the cap hit is a wonderful tool. Use a toll foolishly and it can make you bleed.
My point was that Miami has improved their team this year but not enough to win the division. Next year, it will become all about that Suh contract. Yes
At least you have some common sense so then why do you have such a hard on for the signing?
I love the signing. It plays into helping the Patriots long term.
Look at it from a different angle. Do you think the Jets signing Revis for $70 million is going to give them the AFC East?
(note, this post screwed up by computer glitch)

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you acknowledge the cap hit next year of $27 million as too much and with the "sweep of the pen" you will just push it forward?

I am a business man. Manipulating the cap hit is a wonderful tool. Use a toll foolishly and it can make you bleed.
My point was that Miami has improved their team this year but not enough to win the division. Next year, it will become all about that Suh contract. Yes

I love the signing. It plays into helping the Patriots long term.
Look at it from a different angle. Do you think the Jets signing Revis for $70 million is going to give them the AFC East?
(note, this post screwed up by computer glitch)
You are completely ignoring the fact that the money can be moved around next year if necessary. The money spent on Suh is no different than if they kept Wallace and Odrick....they theoretically didn't spend more money just on a different player. We can't explain this to you any differently? Anything can happen in football but if you fully believe that the pats will win the division then bet your house in Vegas. Show your balls or stop talking trash.

I don't think as well as many experts that the jets are closer than the Fins. Most people believe the Fins are up and coming building towards playoffs and more. Tanny's development will play a huge part but the D should be better putting them in a likelier scenario of making the playoffs. Then who knows. I also believe that the pats at this point took a step back. Either way I'm not betting my property on this like you talk it's just my opinion....