• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Denver Broncos 2020 Offseason

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2019 season has been frustrating, but has contained hope for the future. I have not given up on this team making the playoffs as we are only 2 games out of the final wild card spot and get the opportunity to play the Texans that could put is right there with them. Part of what lead to creating this point was a debate on Broncos Country Tonight on denverbroncos.com where they debated if the Broncos should keep trading players for picks. First let's look at the players that will be a free agent at season's end:
Player - Position - age
Chris Harris - CB - 31
Derek Wolfe - DE - 30
Shelby Harris - DT - 29
Theo Riddick - RB - 29
Casey Kreiter - LS - 30
Adam Gotsis - DE - 27
Corey Nelson - ILB - 28
Jeremiah Attaochu - OLB - 27
Coty Sensabaugh - CB - 31
Justin Simmons - FS - 26
Devontae Booker - RB - 28
Connor McGovern - C - 27
Will Parks - S - 26

There are some that are easy to let walk in my opinion but could be resigned at team friendly deals to give them a chance to make the team as a depth role. Those players are:
Theo Riddick - We don't have any idea what he might or might not do for us.

Corey Nelson - Was brought in to be a role player to help fill in while Davis was out.

Jeremiah Attaochu - Was brought in as depth once Chubb went on IR.

Coty Sensabaugh - Brought in as depth once Bausby was hurt.

Devontae Booker - Has been buried on the depth chart for years, he deserves a chance to go to a team where he can have a chance to play.

Will Parks - He is inconsistent but a reasonable depth guy.

There are several players that could be brought back if the price is right:
Chris Harris - We know that Chris is one of the best CBs currently in the NFL but he is getting older. Chris has stated that he wants to test the FA market, but also that he wants to be a Bronco for life. I believe Chris wants to get paid what market value is while remaining in Denver. So if Chris goes out and find outs out that his market value is 4 year 44 million contract with 25- 30 million guaranteed. Let's say a break down as follows:
  • 2020 - 13 million fully guaranteed
  • 2021 - 12 million fully guaranteed
  • 2022 - 10 million
  • 2023 - 9 million
I believe this is something like what he will see as he as 1 to 2 years left at a high level, and then start to fall off, and thus the contract would too. Some team might make a better offer if they have tons of money.

Derek Wolfe - Wolfe also wants to remain in Desnver, but is thinking about how long does he want to play. Derek has been playing reasonably well but any contract should be year to to year so if he walks away the cap hit is not devistating.

Shelby Harris - Shelby was struggling while playing nose tackle, but has been very good at DE. I would really like to see him return, but afraid that we will not be able to afford what another team may offer.

Adam Gotsis - Gotsis would be a depth signing. I am not sure he will be willing to come back as a depth guy, and likely walks for additional opportunities. I would not be torn up if we traded him for a 7th round pick if we could get it as there is next to no chance that we will get a comp pick for him.

Casey Kreiter - I would like to see Kreiter come back as he is very good LS and they don't make crazy money.

Connor McGovern - I would like to see McGovern come back as he has been a reasonable C, but probably better at guard which is where I would like to see him play if he returns.

I believe there is only one of free agents that we need to resign, and that is Justin Simmons. He is playing really well in the Fangio system and is making plays. I dont suggest we pay him as the best FS in the league but he is inline for a nice pay day.

Right now it looks like we will have ~17.3 million in cap space for 2020 per spotrac.

I would like to see the following cuts occur:
Joe Flacco - This will free up ~$10 million next year with $13.6 million in dead money. Joe is not playing well at all and I am tired of stop gap vetran QBs. Cut Joe and put all your time and resources into Lock and Rypien.

Ron Leary - This will free up ~$7.3 million with $875K in dead money. Ron is holding more and more and health is an issue.

This would give us ~$34.6 million in cap space. I am sure there will be some additional cuts and restructures that will make additional cap space.

When it comes to FA I want to see a change in philosophy also. I want us to spend on our own FAs and only sign role guys on the second and 3rd wave of free agency which are at a much lower price tag and if the team does their homework may be just as good so many of the high priced free agents that can kill a cap if they don't work out.

If we stay away from the higher priced free agents it is going to put more stress on the draft, but if this team is going to be good for years and not just flashes that is how it needs to be built. Yes next year we may have to draft certain positions, but that is maybe the way we dig out of this hole we are currently in.

I am looking forward to discussing this further as time goes on and we get more information.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how can you have that many Free agents going into FA and be broke???????????????

Sanders traded should have taken 10.3 off the books because that is now being paid by the 49ers.

We did pay a chunk of money for the Redskins a back up in Keenum $4.something million this year.

At some damn point, we shoulda had a wad of money for christ sakes.

At this point IMO Callahan and James I would try and cut bait with.

For sure Callahan he is done IMO.

We should have signed Taylor Elway spent on an injury-prone player James this last season and let our players Paradis that were ready to play or did play this season that were hurt in offseason.

We should have paid Harris and forgotten Callahan!