• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Cap-hell

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well looking at the Cap hits they have somewhat screwed themselves by taking such a low cap number this year. Getting rid of the Mike Wallace contract helps as they then will only have $120 million invested for next season so they should be able to resign Tannehil but they have definitely limited themselves with this kind of deal.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well looking at the Cap hits they have somewhat screwed themselves by taking such a low cap number this year. Getting rid of the Mike Wallace contract helps as they then will only have $120 million invested for next season so they should be able to resign Tannehil but they have definitely limited themselves with this kind of deal.
Until they cut him after this year. Then getting him for such a low cap will be the best deal ever. The salary is not guaranteed until next year..... Pretty interesting!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with the signing bonus I don't think they can cut him after this season. They would take over a $20 million dead money hit for doing so. So really at this point it is a 3-year deal. If they can survive year 2 they should be good to go with this deal. Essentially next year they are just going to have to sign players to once again have low cap hits that season such as Tannehil maybe only having a $5-10 million cap hit when he resigns.

At this point the deal does look difficult but the more I look into it really it is pretty manageable. The last 2-3 years of the deal I would look for them to rework it by then turning some of his base salary into guarantees to help lessen some of the blow.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with the signing bonus I don't think they can cut him after this season. They would take over a $20 million dead money hit for doing so. So really at this point it is a 3-year deal. If they can survive year 2 they should be good to go with this deal. Essentially next year they are just going to have to sign players to once again have low cap hits that season such as Tannehil maybe only having a $5-10 million cap hit when he resigns.

At this point the deal does look difficult but the more I look into it really it is pretty manageable. The last 2-3 years of the deal I would look for them to rework it by then turning some of his base salary into guarantees to help lessen some of the blow.
Do you wish that signing on Denver?????

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it stands, it looks like they will have enough money to get both Tannehill & Pounecy re-signed & still have $5+ mil left before any cuts/trades. That's assuming the cap is $150 in 2016 as has been rumored. Plus any rollover cap money from 2015.

The cap can be easily manipulated & the Dolphins look to be in reasonable shape.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you wish that signing on Denver?????

No I would not want the Broncos investing that much into a DT. I would rather see it spread around but at the same time the Dolphins right now don't have a quarterback making $15-20 million a year. They have manageable contracts on the rest of the roster so adding a blue chip piece like this is something that can definitely help them get closer to competing with the Patriots for top of the division. If Tannehil can take another step in the right direction then the Dolphins could be a sleeper team this year in my opinion and Suh is a part of that.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I would not want the Broncos investing that much into a DT. I would rather see it spread around but at the same time the Dolphins right now don't have a quarterback making $15-20 million a year. They have manageable contracts on the rest of the roster so adding a blue chip piece like this is something that can definitely help them get closer to competing with the Patriots for top of the division. If Tannehil can take another step in the right direction then the Dolphins could be a sleeper team this year in my opinion and Suh is a part of that.
I'm looking forward to him hanging out with the Pouncy bros, Chris Johnson and the gang in South Florida.....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MIA...yeah, they can count on him being around for 3 seasons min...Interesting they're pushing that much of his cap hit into '16...unless they make the playoffs this season, Tannihill imo will get a second tier deal...$60 to $75 mil....if he blows up and they have to pay him $100 mil deal...they're screwed.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MIA...yeah, they can count on him being around for 3 seasons min...Interesting they're pushing that much of his cap hit into '16...unless they make the playoffs this season, Tannihill imo will get a second tier deal...$60 to $75 mil....if he blows up and they have to pay him $100 mil deal...they're screwed.

The more I look at the deal the more it really isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Yes that 2nd year is going to be limiting a bit but they have a very rich owner so they can be very creative in contract writing pushing the bigger hits to the 2nd year of contracts when Suh's number drops again to a manageable number. Really in the NFL teams can handle having the one really big cap hit and not have too much trouble. Such as they can sign Tannehil to say a 4-year $80 million contract. Have the big hit be in the 2nd year when Suh's cap hit is in the teens so then maybe Tannehil's is $25 million for that year.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ndamukong Suh's contract is going to be a nightmare for the Dolphins after the first season - Yahoo Sports

Suh's contract results in a friendly cap hit this year (6.1 $mil)
Next year his cap hit becomes the poison pill (28.6 $mil) and his salary becomes fully guaranteed.
Is this a Revis type 1 year rental? or will they restructure??????

Never liked Suh's contract. "Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it." Yah I doubt Suh will turn into Haynesworth, but for a guy that has multiple fines in his career, who knows. He might get suspended or miss playing time, etc.

Also, there is ZERO reason to pay that much money to anyone non-QB. IMO the Dolphins kind of signed their franchise away with this move. Outside of the QB, nobody can 'take over' a game. The closest we've seen on defense in recent memory is JJ Watt who is getting paid less and is a better talent than Suh.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll be fine looks like they planned on moving Wallace all along. They weren't using him properly anyway for the cash being spent. He'll be replaced by Stills, Cameron and most likely a WR in the draft still cheaper.

Watt is still on his entry contract not comparable if he were a FA today he'd get more no doubt about it. You just don't see guys getting released at this stage and the caps going up...not concerned.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I read the contract structure right, it's not even fully guaranteed until year two. I kind of get the impression that this contract is for show and Suh would be willing to restructure at some point. I guess we'll see if that is correct.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll be fine looks like they planned on moving Wallace all along. They weren't using him properly anyway for the cash being spent. He'll be replaced by Stills, Cameron and most likely a WR in the draft still cheaper.

Watt is still on his entry contract not comparable if he were a FA today he'd get more no doubt about it. You just don't see guys getting released at this stage and the caps going up...not concerned.

Revis?????

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never liked Suh's contract. "Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it." Yah I doubt Suh will turn into Haynesworth, but for a guy that has multiple fines in his career, who knows. He might get suspended or miss playing time, etc.

Also, there is ZERO reason to pay that much money to anyone non-QB. IMO the Dolphins kind of signed their franchise away with this move. Outside of the QB, nobody can 'take over' a game. The closest we've seen on defense in recent memory is JJ Watt who is getting paid less and is a better talent than Suh.
When I go to the mall, I'm happy if I bring most of my money home.
When teenage girls go to the mall, they want to spend every nickel!
Dolphins fans here are all ecstatic that they blew their wad on Suh.....

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I go to the mall, I'm happy if I bring most of my money home.
When teenage girls go to the mall, they want to spend every nickel!
Dolphins fans here are all ecstatic that they blew their wad on Suh.....

A player, D contract. Balances out to a C+ or so. Just too many open questions with Suh.

1) Does he get fat/lazy with all the money? (My thought is no since his initial contract was pretty big but who knows)
2) Does he get fined/suspended for dirty play?
3) Does he not mix well with the Dolphins players (like Haynesworth didn't with Wash) and give up?
4) Does he get in trouble with the South Beach atmosphere?

Lot of open questions for a lot of money thrown at him. Again, just little reason to pay that much to a single defensive player. If you look at many of the great defenses over the past years, it's a by committee crew. One player (like a QB) rarely changed the entire team. Now I will argue Suh is a piece you build around, but at what cost? Next year he eats up a whopping $28M! Nearly 20% of the cap! And he cannot be reliably released until 2018 since the prior years would be WAY too much in dead cap (still $25M in his 3rd year).

Eh we'll see. A 6 year, $100M contract IMO with more around $50M guaranteed would've been appropriate and an A overall.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition,

Suh has to play LIGHTS out for the next 5 years to live up to that contract. Even the next 3 years, lights out. According to PFF he wasn't even the top DT last year (reserved by G. McCoy in Tampa). Any loss in productivity is a wash since the Dolphins are paying the very highest end of the auction spectrum.

When you sign players to these high end contracts as well, other positions may suffer. Miami may not be able to pay QBs (what if Tannenhill lights it up this year?) or they may pay less on their defensive front and Suh may not be as dominant as he was in Detroit and that may lead to locker room issues, etc.

Suh is eating up 40% of the cap guaranteed wise. That is absolutely ridiculous. Check out this graphic:
morris-feature-suh-2.png

Not to mention, guys like Watt, McCoy are returning to the same team. It's always preferable to pay guys that have been on your team prior because you know how they are in the locker room, you know how they interact with the same coaches/owners/FO/personnel and most importantly other players that have been on the team prior. It's ALWAYS a bigger issue to pay a guy that has not been part of your team environment.

So JJ Watt/McCoy contracts are on the very high end of the spectrum, but the $ value is diminished IMO because you know how they will continue to play/interact with the team. Suh is a giant ?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this contract is absolutely insane and makes no sense to me.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guaranteed money doesn't effect the cap any differently than non-guaranteed money does as long as the player is on your roster. Comparing it to a % of the cap means nothing.

The only thing to know for average fans who don't understand the cap or guaranteed money (and most here clearly don't) is that Miami committed to Suh for 3 seasons guaranteed. There is no getting out of the deal until after that.

We have gotten used to seeing some teams jettison players after a year or two (Michael Johnson, Revis come to mind). That can't happen to Suh. Miami has him, for better or worse, for 3 seasons. The structure of the contract means that Miami could have a Albert Haynesworth (and it really should be the Sean Gilbert because his situation was way worse) situation where a guy is on the roster and on the team when everyone knows that it would be better for all if they could cut him but they can't.

Is that a risk? A little bit but not nearly as much as people think. Miami bet that they would be happy with Suh for 3 seasons....if he would have had $25M in guaranteed money vs what he got, it really doesn't change a whole lot except in the 1% situation where Suh gets to Miami and grossly underperforms.

Miami did what they had to get Suh. It was a good move. His contract isn't going to look like an outlier in a single year. And in 3 years he will look like a pretty good deal moving forward. That's just how contracts work in the ever expanding money making machine that is the NFL.