• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Martellus Bennett ranks Rodgers ahead of Brady

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-0

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take that challenge:

Compared to the league average (eliminating all games under 14 attempts), Montana threw 27.4% more TDs and 31.6% fewer INTs than the league average from 1980-1994. I also eliminated the 1992 season.

Brady has thrown for 37.0% more touchdowns and 33.8% fewer interceptions than the league average from 2001-2016, and I eliminated 2008 from the numbers.

That's in 70 more games

Did you simply go to some site like pro football reference, and search until you found two numbers 'within their relative eras' to base your belief on? Are you taking into consideration the amount of attempts relative to their era, compared to their respective peers? Position on the field when those throws occur? % of TD throws when games are generally already decided late in the 4th? Home/road advantages or disadvantages? West Coast team playing in the East? The relative newly created term of 'game managers' that todays coaches emphasize far more vs. how QB's operated in Montana's time? Etc. etc.

Until I see an absolute and complete thorough breakdown of those 'stats', they remain generally useless.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article from April where Brees said Rodgers is in a tier of his own and set the bar high for the kind of throws only he can make. He said Rodgers cursed the league.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you simply go to some site like pro football reference, and search until you found two numbers 'within their relative eras' to base your belief on? Are you taking into consideration the amount of attempts relative to their era, compared to their respective peers? Position on the field when those throws occur? % of TD throws when games are generally already decided late in the 4th? Home/road advantages or disadvantages? West Coast team playing in the East? The relative newly created term of 'game managers' that todays coaches emphasize far more vs. how QB's operated in Montana's time? Etc. etc.

Until I see an absolute and complete thorough breakdown of those 'stats', they remain generally useless.
Those numbers by themselves aren't readily available so no I didn't search to find those numbers. I used the play index, searched all passing touchdowns/interceptions from 1980-1990 plus 1993/1994. Then did the same for 2001-2007 and 2009-2016. Exported to excel, totaled the numbers, divided by games to get a per game number. Then exported their game logs to excel, eliminated all games under 14 attempts, totaled the numbers, and got their per game numbers. Then compared that to league average.

It's a fair call out about attempts. I should have simply used TD% and INT% relative to their peers as that takes into account attempts. Brady's TD% is 31.3% higher than league average while Montana's was 20.2% higher. Brady's INT% is 36.6% lower than league average while Montana's was 34.1% lower.

Didn't take into account position on the field or game situation. If you know a place that goes back further than 1994 like PFR I'll gladly break that down. I can show Brady's numbers but couldn't compare that to Montana so it would be useless information.

What would you be looking for in home/road splits?
Tom Brady Career Splits | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Joe Montana Career Splits | Pro-Football-Reference.com

They are right there if you want to see them. Looks like Montana was better on the road than he was at home, an interesting little fact that maybe you could shed some light on as to why. Brady has historically thrown more TDs on the road and more yards/attempt, but has thrown more INTs.

As or West going East, that accounts for 28 out of Montana's 162 games of 14 or more attempts. Obviously he had to go west to east more than Brady has had to go east to west (8 times for Brady), but still only 17.3% of the games.

To your last part, that is why it is important to compare relative to their peers. It's a more pass-friendly environment today than it was in Montana's day, no question.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking Rodgers over Brady is a John Madden/Captain Obvious comment. This is common knowledge I mean the stats and the eye test demonstrate that Rodgers is not only better but significantly better than Brady

Stats since 2009 since both were starting (Brady injured in 08)

Rodgers Brady
QBR: 104.1 97.2
TD: 268 257
YDS*: 32,460 35,136
ATT*: 4,062 4,571
GP: 118 124
TD/INT: 4.62 3.89

Postseason:
Rodgers Brady
QBR: 99.4 88.7
COMP %: 63.5 62.4
PPG: 26.8 24.8
TD/INT: 3.6 2.03
YPA: 7.5 6.8
Adjusted YPA: 8.0 6.7

This doesn't even include how vastly superior Rodgers is in rushing totals and his QBR when pressured when compared to Brady.

Brady has rings and that's what the provocateur Skip Bayless uses but we all know that's not how to compare QB's because Brady has the best coach of our time and consistent good to great defenses while Rodgers has a liability in game coach and a trash defense every year except a couple.

More points to substantiate why AR is substantially better

1) AR12 has the highest QBR in NFL history
2) Rodgers has the best TD:INT ratio in history
3) Rodgers could throw 26 interceptions in a row and would still have a better ratio than Brady
4) Football is a team game! In the five years Brady has won the super bowl, the Patriots defense ranked 1st, 1st, 2nd, 6th, and 8th. Rodgers has only had a top 10 defense twice in 9 years! One of those years was when he won the Super Bowl! Bottom line, Rodgers is one of the best to ever play the game.

The only thing Tom has is the SB's which have a dark cloud over all of them cheating scandals and team cheating scandals, and the two recent SB's have come because teams decided to pass instead of run the ball and the first three were from cheating scandals.

Brady is by far the most accomplished but Rodgers is the superior all around QB.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I hear from Pats fans is that Rodgers could NEVER do what Brady did in the Super Bowl. That was other-worldly and no other QB is capable of that.

So let's see what Brady did in the second half of the SB. First drive, three and out. Subsequent drives, all scoring drives except for the drive that ended regulation. All TDs, except one drive that ended in a FG.

Now, let's take a look at what Rodgers did against the Falcons in the second half of the NFCCG. First drive, three and out. Subsequent drives all scoring drives except for the one that ended the game. All TDs and ZERO FGs.

Seems pretty Brady-esque to me, maybe just a tad bit better. When you're doing everything you need to win, and the defense just pushes the game further and further out of reach, it's easy to get frustrated, lose your focus and make mistakes. But Rodgers just get plugging away, business as usual.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I hear from Pats fans is that Rodgers could NEVER do what Brady did in the Super Bowl. That was other-worldly and no other QB is capable of that.

So let's see what Brady did in the second half of the SB. First drive, three and out. Subsequent drives, all scoring drives except for the drive that ended regulation. All TDs, except one drive that ended in a FG.

Now, let's take a look at what Rodgers did against the Falcons in the second half of the NFCCG. First drive, three and out. Subsequent drives all scoring drives except for the one that ended the game. All TDs and ZERO FGs.

Seems pretty Brady-esque to me, maybe just a tad bit better. When you're doing everything you need to win, and the defense just pushes the game further and further out of reach, it's easy to get frustrated, lose your focus and make mistakes. But Rodgers just get plugging away, business as usual.

Bottom line is both team fanbases are lucky to have these 2 guys as their QB. GB has been fortunate in the QB area with Starr, Favre and now Rodgers. Pats have finally a good QB

Last edited:

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking Rodgers over Brady is a John Madden/Captain Obvious comment. This is common knowledge I mean the stats and the eye test demonstrate that Rodgers is not only better but significantly better than Brady

Stats since 2009 since both were starting (Brady injured in 08)

Rodgers Brady
QBR: 104.1 97.2
TD: 268 257
YDS*: 32,460 35,136
ATT*: 4,062 4,571
GP: 118 124
TD/INT: 4.62 3.89

Postseason:
Rodgers Brady
QBR: 99.4 88.7
COMP %: 63.5 62.4
PPG: 26.8 24.8
TD/INT: 3.6 2.03
YPA: 7.5 6.8
Adjusted YPA: 8.0 6.7

This doesn't even include how vastly superior Rodgers is in rushing totals and his QBR when pressured when compared to Brady.

Brady has rings and that's what the provocateur Skip Bayless uses but we all know that's not how to compare QB's because Brady has the best coach of our time and consistent good to great defenses while Rodgers has a liability in game coach and a trash defense every year except a couple.

More points to substantiate why AR is substantially better

1) AR12 has the highest QBR in NFL history
2) Rodgers has the best TD:INT ratio in history
3) Rodgers could throw 26 interceptions in a row and would still have a better ratio than Brady
4) Football is a team game! In the five years Brady has won the super bowl, the Patriots defense ranked 1st, 1st, 2nd, 6th, and 8th. Rodgers has only had a top 10 defense twice in 9 years! One of those years was when he won the Super Bowl! Bottom line, Rodgers is one of the best to ever play the game.

The only thing Tom has is the SB's which have a dark cloud over all of them cheating scandals and team cheating scandals, and the two recent SB's have come because teams decided to pass instead of run the ball and the first three were from cheating scandals.

Brady is by far the most accomplished but Rodgers is the superior all around QB.

Take out the 'vastly superior' and cheating stuff, and this is a pretty good argument.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is both team fanbases are lucky to have these 2 guys as their QB. GB has been fortunate in the QB area with Starr, Favre and now Rodgers. Pats have finally a good QB
Absolutely. Truth be told both fan bases can make logical arguments as to which quarterback is better. Let's wait for both careers to end (let's hope later rather then sooner) and see where ALL the chips lay.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Truth be told both fan bases can make logical arguments as to which quarterback is better. Let's wait for both careers to end (let's hope later rather then sooner) and see where ALL the chips lay.

My feeling will always be that people that take the Brady side, will always lean on "TEAM" accomplishments

People on the Rodgers side, simply lean on his individual greatness, and the "Eye" test, because when you watch the 2, you see Rodgers do things maybe no QB ever can do

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Brady is already on the 18th hole and Rodgers just started the back nine, plenty of time for him to set the standard. And when I bring Brady into the convo, i don't bring up his SB's but his individual stats

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feeling will always be that people that take the Brady side, will always lean on "TEAM" accomplishments

People on the Rodgers side, simply lean on his individual greatness, and the "Eye" test, because when you watch the 2, you see Rodgers do things maybe no QB ever can do
Couldn't agree more. Against your Giants in the 2011 playoffs, Rodgers ran seven times, averaging over nine yards per attempts and picking up seven first downs. While his passing stats look average, the WR corp was credited with eight drops, and his one INT came on the very last offensive play where his arm got hit. He may have been the best player on the field that day, though, the Giants definitely deserved to win, based on TEAM play.

People think Rodgers needs to do more in playoffs, yet in playoff losses his offense puts up 25.6 PPG while Brady's offenses only put up 17.8 PPG. In those same games, Rodgers has a 2:1 ratio in TDs/INTs, while Brady has a 1:1 ratio. Oh, and in playoff losses, the Packer's D has given up 10 more points per game than the Patriot's D. I guess you can take from that whatever you want.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more. Against your Giants in the 2011 playoffs, Rodgers ran seven times, averaging over nine yards per attempts and picking up seven first downs. While his passing stats look average, the WR corp was credited with eight drops, and his one INT came on the very last offensive play where his arm got hit. He may have been the best player on the field that day, though, the Giants definitely deserved to win, based on TEAM play.

People think Rodgers needs to do more in playoffs, yet in playoff losses his offense puts up 25.6 PPG while Brady's offenses only put up 17.8 PPG. In those same games, Rodgers has a 2:1 ratio in TDs/INTs, while Brady has a 1:1 ratio. Oh, and in playoff losses, the Packer's D has given up 10 more points per game than the Patriot's D. I guess you can take from that whatever you want.

If you have no dog in the fight, its blatantly obvious that Rodgers has to overcome his own porous defense year after year, not to mention his lack of a running game behind him in many years, or when Jeff Janis became his #1 WR in a playoff loss in Arizona, etc.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take out the 'vastly superior' and cheating stuff, and this is a pretty good argument.

I said vastly because he's on another level due to his mobility and throwing on the run/out of the pocket. It adds an extra dimension to his game. To have the ability to run for yards, prolong plays and throw on the run gives him the ability to create something out of nothing. For instance, Barry Sanders could create something out of nothing with his agility and instincts which separated him from Emmitt Smith. However, some believe Emmitt to be superior because of his accomplishments, longevity and statistical superiority. The eye test demonstrates how Barry was certainly the better player.

Cheating has and will always be a part of his career and SB's. You can argue how much of the cheating was done but the fact is they were caught cheating and have many allegations that were presented with vast amounts of ocular evidence. This evidence was not just jealous teams.

Thank you for your input

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said vastly because he's on another level due to his mobility and throwing on the run/out of the pocket. It adds an extra dimension to his game. To have the ability to run for yards, prolong plays and throw on the run gives him the ability to create something out of nothing. For instance, Barry Sanders could create something out of nothing with his agility and instincts which separated him from Emmitt Smith. However, some believe Emmitt to be superior because of his accomplishments, longevity and statistical superiority. The eye test demonstrates how Barry was certainly the better player.

Cheating has and will always be a part of his career and SB's. You can argue how much of the cheating was done but the fact is they were caught cheating and have many allegations that were presented with vast amounts of ocular evidence. This evidence was not just jealous teams.

Thank you for your input

They were never caught cheating in the SB's tard. First game of 07 season vs Jets, and in the Indy game with the ball pressure. Stop with your weak ass circus lemonade shit. Of course Roma wants to knock Brady down because Brady has surpassed him as the Goat. Maybe Rodgers can get there when his career is over. Unbelievable talent, great wheels, but a headcase imo. When things don't go his way , he crumbles. What 4-5 losses in a row past season vs weak teams? Then he does his 'run the table". If he did play like that the whole season, would have had HFA wrapped up, GB is almost unbeatable at home. Good news was AR made the top 10 list by his peers, Brady is the only player making the top 5 each year, finishing no#1 twice. I'll value their opinion, vs some jackoffs here that either hate TB or are jealous. I always give AR props don't take take shit away from him. He had a 16-0 lead vs Seattle at hald because his shitty D caused 4 t/os in Seattle territory, creating 3 FG's and 1 Tds and then blown out to ATL last season in NFCG. Brady was down 10 points in 4th to Seattle and 25 in 3rd Q vs Atl and didn't fold. He beat both the teams in SB your team lost too, YW