• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners offseason rumor/discussion thread

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners Focusing On Complementary Players

By Charlie Wilmoth [January 26, 2014 at 5:40pm CST]
After an offseason highlighted by the signing of Robinson Cano, the Mariners may be done adding high-priced talent, MLB.com's Greg Johns reports. GM Jack Zduriencik is looking for another starting pitcher, but probably won't want to pay the prices necessary to sign Ubaldo Jimenez or Ervin Santana.
"I don't think we're going to jump in and invest where some of these dollars are going," Zduriencik says. "It just doesn't make sense when you take a 30-, 31-, 32-year old pitcher that wants five or six years and there is some history there of injury or inconsistencies."
Zduriencik said those risks were the reason the Mariners didn't strongly pursue Masahiro Tanaka (who is younger, but would have required a long commitment). He also suggests that it would have been difficult to outbid the Yankees. "We've made two major investments here in the last two years with Felix [Hernandez] and now Robinson," Zduriencik says. "To do that again would have been real challenging. And in the end, the numbers could have gone up. If we made that offer, who knows what the heck the Yankees would have done after that?"
Johns notes that the Mariners are "in the running" for starter Scott Baker, who missed all of 2012 and most of 2013 due to injury. Zduriencik also says the Mariners have had many talks with Nelson Cruz's representation, but the length and dollar value of the contract and the threat of losing a draft pick are all part of the Mariners' considerations.

I love the quote where Z says we don't want to invest in an injury prone 30+ year old pitcher yet they are in on a 30+ pitcher who missed the last two years in Scott Baker.

Looks like they are going into spring training with Franklin and Ackley, which surprises me. Ackley can play outfield, but what do they do with Franklin?

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the quote where Z says we don't want to invest in an injury prone 30+ year old pitcher yet they are in on a 30+ pitcher who missed the last two years in Scott Baker.

Looks like they are going into spring training with Franklin and Ackley, which surprises me. Ackley can play outfield, but what do they do with Franklin?

I am surprised about Franklin also. We have been discussing what is going to happen to him in another thread. Should be interesting to see how everything falls into place.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised about Franklin also. We have been discussing what is going to happen to him in another thread. Should be interesting to see how everything falls into place.

Yeah, missed that thread before I asked the question here.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to mention a 30+ year old OF who missed a year with surgery on both knees. That guy talks so much B.S. it's amazing he doesn't choke on it. We also traded for an injured 1B/DH last year who was 30+ I believe. It doesn't hold water. I wish he would just say we are cheap and won't pay for anything more because we blew our wad on 2 players already.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"However, newly appointed team president Kevin Mather -- he doesn't officially take over until next week -- recently said that his team has the financial flexibility to make additional moves, and that future spending is "up to Zduiencik." A public vote of confidence from the new boss could be enough to encourage Zduriencik to do something "major."

Mariners rumors: Seattle 'again a team to watch' in free agency - SBNation.com

I like that Mather said that the team has financial flexibility. It puts the ball in Z's court.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest On Nelson Cruz

By Steve Adams [January 30 at 7:00pm CST]
Just yesterday, the reports indicated that the Mariners were "back in business" in their pursuits of Nelson Cruz and Fernando Rodney, and their pursuit of Cruz appears to be picking up. MLB Network Radio's Jim Bowden said on the air today that the Mariners could make an offer to Cruz as early as today ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]428968741376765952[/MEDIA]"]Twitter link[/ame] from MLBN Radio).
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]428952688248623104[/MEDIA]"]Bowden also tweeted[/ame] earlier today (prior to the above report) that the market for Cruz currently consists of the Mariners, Orioles and Rangers, with Texas only serving as a fallback option for Cruz should his market completely crash. Seattle is "clearly the best fit" for Cruz in Bowden's mind, he added.
Reports on the Mariners' ability to spend (or lack thereof) have gone back and forth since the team's blockbuster signing of Robinson Cano earlier this offseason. GM Jack Zduriencik quickly followed that mega-deal up by signing Corey Hart and swinging a trade for Logan Morrison, but since that time all has been quiet for the Mariners in terms of significant additions. Cruz is the most powerful bat left on the market, which would make him a welcome addition to a Mariners lineup that is in need of some thump even after the Cano deal.
Cruz would add another corner/DH bat to a mix that already includes Hart, Morrison and Justin Smoak, and his questionable defensive reputation would be magnified by the fact that other corner outfield options (such as Hart and Morrison) aren't considered strong defenders either. Mariners right fielders combined to bat just .239/.290/.400 in 2013, however, so Cruz's bat would be a clear upgrade.
As for the Orioles, they lack an obvious answer in left field and could also upgrade at designated hitter, though they recently signed Delmon Young to a minor league deal and could be looking at him as a potential platoon partner for David Lough in left field. From an offensive standpoint, however, Cruz would likely be an upgrade over that platoon or Baltimore's in-house candidates at designated hitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners To Sign Fernando Rodney

By Jeff Todd [February 6 at 4:20pm CST]
The Mariners have agreed to a two-year, $14MM deal with reliever Fernando Rodney, reports Jonah Keri of Grantland ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]431552475254898688[/MEDIA]"]via Twitter[/ame]). Rodney, a client of MVP Sports Group, could earn up to $15MM if he meets the deal's incentives.

Soon to turn 37, Rodney established himself as one of the game's most dominant relievers during a 2012 career renaissance in Tampa Bay. Notching 48 saves for the Rays, Rodney threw 74 2/3 innings of 0.60 ERA ball that year, striking out 9.2 per nine while walking just 1.8 per nine. Though he was less dominant last year, Rodney still produced a 3.38 ERA over 66 2/3 innings, upping his strikeouts to a career-best 11.1 K/9 while surrendering 4.9 BB/9 (much closer to his career mark than the year prior).
As MLBTR's Steve Adams explained in his profile of Rodney at the onset of the off-season, Rodney had shown some of the most overpowering stuff of any of the free agent closers. Nevertheless, he was the last to sign of the premier bunch, and lands shy of the $18MM that Adams predicted he would get on a two-year pact. His new deal bests that given by his former club to Grant Balfour (two years and $12MM), but falls short of the two-year, $15.5MM pact awarded Joaquin Benoit by the Padres.
The Mariners were said to be one of the clubs most interested in Rodney, joining the Orioles and Mets in that regard. Though Danny Farquhar remains under contract after saving 16 games for Seattle last year, he will presumably bump down to a setup role now that Rodney is in the fold. Rodney represents the second-largest free agent commitment made by the Mariners this year, following Robinson Cano's massive ten-year, $240MM deal.
Seattle will hope that it gets the Rodney of the last two seasons rather than the less-than-stellar version of his earlier career. After strong seasons in 2005-06 in Detroit, Rodney posted five straight years in which he allowed over four runs per nine, though he saved 68 games for the Tigers and Angels over that stretch. Both the Steamer and Oliver projection systems like Rodney to produce solid results going forward, with each projecting him to post an ERA and FIP just north of 3.00.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked 15 hours yesterday and missed this. Good move. I preferred Balfour better, but I will take this.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone explain to me why they are spending money on a closer? It's not bullpen help they invested in, they invested in a closer. I can get this move if they are in the process of a blockbuster deal bringing them back a bat like Stanton or something along those lines but it really doesn't make sense to spend part of your budget on a closer when the Mariners have proven they can find cheap but great closers for at least year.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A closer was needed in my book. The team lost something like 19 1 run games last year. Convert half of those and this team is .500. Unless you consider Farq the closer, then I dont mind signing a closer. Pryor looks like he is missing at least half the year and who knows what you will get out of the Bartender. This team needed a bullpen arm, the right handed arms in the pen were a train wreck last year.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if he's not a bona fide closer in 2014, he's been through it all.

he'll be a good mentor for both farq and the bartender...well, really, most of the pitching staff.

i don't see this as a great signing when it comes to winning games next year, but it may pay dividends in 2015 and beyond.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It look like it's just a matter of time. I'm ok with this, we need some right hand power in the lineup

Mariners In Talks With Cruz, Willing To Offer Multiple Years

By Steve Adams [February 8 at 11:17am CST]
SATURDAY: It's only "a matter of time" before the Mariners agree to terms with Cruz, industry sources tell Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]432196201652314112[/MEDIA]"]on Twitter[/ame]).
FRIDAY: The Mariners are still in talks with Cruz even after agreeing to a two-year, $14MM contract with Fernando Rodney, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]431825551309819904[/MEDIA]"]via Twitter[/ame]). Last night, USA Today's Bob Nightengale reported that the Mariners were "all-in" following the Rodney signing and "cautiously optimistic" that they can land Cruz.
TUESDAY: Talks between the Mariners and Nelson Cruz have gotten more serious in the past few days, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Seattle is believed to be open to offering a two-year deal and could possibly stretch to include an option or even a third guaranteed year, according to Heyman's report. Reports late last week indicated that the Mariners were preparing to make an offer to Cruz and agent Adam Katz of the Wasserman Media Group.
Seattle has the sixth overall selection in the 2014 draft, meaning its first-round pick is protected under Major League Baseball's collective bargaining agreement. The Mariners have also already forfeited their second round pick in signing Robinson Cano to a 10-year, $240MM contract, meaning they'd "only" be looking at forfeiting their Competitive Balance round pick. Seattle won the final pick of Competitive Balance Round B in last summer's Competitive Balance lottery.
The Mariners have been reported as one of Cruz's primary suitors all offseason, though he's been connected to the Orioles heavily at times as well. Recent reports have suggested that he could be a fallback option for the Rangers on a one-year deal or that the Twins could show interest if his price dropped to the point where he fell into their laps (i.e. less than $10MM annually at a maximum of two years).

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he'll be a good mentor for both farq and the bartender...well, really, most of the pitching staff.

i don't see this as a great signing when it comes to winning games next year, but it may pay dividends in 2015 and beyond.

I finally agree with you. I'm not against the move it just doesn't make sense. You need to buy all the horses before you spend money on the cart.

Getting the team to .500 is nice and all but it seems they should worry about getting the offensive players to get them to .500 then worry about all those 1 run games with a closer.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have preferred signing guys like Marmol and Crain on the cheap in addition to any closer to help get to the 9th like the old days. Then I would have liked adding Maholm who just signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers to add to our rotation competition. I am not as concerned about the offensive signings this past month simply because there really aren't any good ones out there. That should have happened when Cano signed but we are the Mariners and we can't have too many good things.

Go Seahawks.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Mariners needed another bullpen arm. Fernando Rodney provides that. Would be nice to see Tom Wilhelmsen return to 2012 form as well.

I've expressed my opinion about Cruz numerous times. If it is just a 2 year deal I can live with it but the Mariners should not give him 3 years. We sure are projecting to have the worst defensive outfield in MLB.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt which is odd since Safeco keeps more balls in play than other stadiums. You would think that would have been more of a focus point. #TheMarinerWay

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we sign Cruz for 2yrs I hope something miraculous happens and that he defies all projections and hits dingers upon dingers in clutch situations against divisional opponents. I can dream...