• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners offseason rumor/discussion thread

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollins?

As a utility guy or something? Or would he be playing SS regularly when we face lefties?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of scratching my head on the Jimmy Rollins thing.

His power has diminished, he only gets on base at a .318 clip, -1.0 dWAR, 35 years old, scheduled to make $11m and the Mariners already have an exciting young player who had a better year than Rollins at SS.

I'm pretty confident they would not have him start at SS. But would they really want to pay $11m for a utility player past his prime? I really cannot understand the logic on this one. Can someone try explaining to me why the Mariners would have any interest in Jimmy Rollins?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rollins?

As a utility guy or something? Or would he be playing SS regularly when we face lefties?

Brad Miller hit .270 against lefties in 100 ABs and .262 against righties in 206 ABs.

Both are higher than Jimmy Rollins. Does not make any sense to me why the Mariners would be showing any interest in him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports that that Chris Snyder can earn $1 million plus incentives if he makes the Nationals roster out of spring training.

The veteran backstop inked a minor league deal with the Nationals on Saturday and is expected to compete for the backup catcher's job behind Wilson Ramos. He has always possessed a good deal of pop, and would be an intriguing name in deep NL-only leagues should he make the roster.

I was kind of hoping for him or Suzuki as our platoon catcher. We are out on both of them.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go. Free agency is still alive in Seattle:

2m According to BA's minor league free agent tracker, Mariners have signed RHP Matt Palmer and C Manny Pina. Both are AAA vets with MLB time.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5m Matt Palmer will be 35 next season, has pitched in the PCL since 2006. Actually had good #'s in Albuquerque last year, which is no easy feat.

LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo signs with the Rangers.

This worries me for two reasons:

1. Choo is a good player and the Rangers have improved from Nelson Cruz.
2. This means Nelson Cruz has one less potential buyer. It sounded like it was between the Mariners and Rangers. Even after the Mariners signed Hart then traded for Morrison it appeared that the Mariners still had interest in Cruz. I've said before that his injuries, age and splits concern me. I wouldn't be too excited with the prospect of Cruz getting anything beyond a 2 year deal from us.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo signs with the Rangers.

This worries me for two reasons:

1. Choo is a good player and the Rangers have improved from Nelson Cruz.
2. This means Nelson Cruz has one less potential buyer. It sounded like it was between the Mariners and Rangers. Even after the Mariners signed Hart then traded for Morrison it appeared that the Mariners still had interest in Cruz. I've said before that his injuries, age and splits concern me. I wouldn't be too excited with the prospect of Cruz getting anything beyond a 2 year deal from us.

Yes, it was a double dagger to M's. I can see us paying 4/$45M for Cruz which is about 2/$25M too much. I also have to think that this could be one of the all-time worst defensive OF's in the majors if we sign him.

Saunders - Decent OF
Cruz - Decent DH playing the OF
Hart - Was below average OF when he had two good knees. Now?
Morrison - See Cruz.
Ackley - Still learning the position with mixed results.
Almonte- Throws it everywhere and probably doesn't have a roster spot anyways.

Luckily Safeco outfield plays small.....:lol:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it was a double dagger to M's. I can see us paying 4/$45M for Cruz which is about 2/$25M too much. I also have to think that this could be one of the all-time worst defensive OF's in the majors if we sign him.
Saunders - Decent OF
Cruz - Decent DH playing the OF
Hart - Was below average OF when he had two good knees. Now?
Morrison - See Cruz.
Ackley - Still learning the position with mixed results.
Almonte- Throws it everywhere and probably doesn't have a roster spot anyways.

Luckily Safeco outfield plays small.....:lol:

we need righty hitting and we need a real MLB outfielder....okay, 2 real MLB outfielders.

it's a real problem for our lineup.

cruz is a decent fit.

even with all of these purchases, i'm still not convinced that a store bought team with 1 proven offensive talent will play .500 ball.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need righty hitting and we need a real MLB outfielder....okay, 2 real MLB outfielders.

it's a real problem for our lineup.

cruz is a decent fit.

even with all of these purchases, i'm still not convinced that a store bought team with 1 proven offensive talent will play .500 ball.

I'm in full agreement, but I just don't see our prospects getting us anything back in return. At this point, I would actually make a good offer for Stanton. I know they say he isn't available, but I would text their GM (like Jack did for Morrison) and say I will give you Ackley, Franklin, and Montero for Stanton and see where it goes. Maybe that ain't enough, but I would try.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Aaron Steen [December 21, 2013 at 9:40pm CST]
In an article with the latest on the David Price situation, the Tampa Bay Times' Marc Topkin dismisses reports that the Rays are motivated to move the Cy Young winner by Dec. 31 to avoid having to pay $4MM in deferred money. "The payment isn't due until Oct. 1, and it is the Rays' obligation, so really a nonfactor, as including it would be the same as asking for cash in a deal and subject to MLB approval," Topkin writes. While the Mariners are often named as a likely suitor for Price, they "seem to talk more about what prospects they don't want to trade."

I really love the last part about the M's.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in full agreement, but I just don't see our prospects getting us anything back in return. At this point, I would actually make a good offer for Stanton. I know they say he isn't available, but I would text their GM (like Jack did for Morrison) and say I will give you Ackley, Franklin, and Montero for Stanton and see where it goes. Maybe that ain't enough, but I would try.

Ackley, Franklin and Montero wouldn't even be enough for David Price IMO. I don't think Price is worth Paxton or Walker but I have little doubt that Mike Stanton would require one of those two, probably Walker. Mike Stanton is an every day player, is only 24 years old, proven major league talent and under team control until 2017.

Mike Stanton's trade value is enormous. Much higher than David Price IMO. But that may just be because I value a 24 year old with ridiculous power and under team control until 2017 over a a 28 year old under team control until 2016 who is coming off of a 3.33 ERA season with only 186.2 IP.

I would depart with Walker or Paxton for Mike Stanton and be happy to do so. David Price no way.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't disagree with that, but I would try everything possible to get Stanton w/o using Walker. Maybe that isn't possible, but I would try. I would give them Franklin/Ackley/Montero/Smoak/Ramirez for him w/o blinking an eye.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't disagree with that, but I would try everything possible to get Stanton w/o using Walker. Maybe that isn't possible, but I would try. I would give them Franklin/Ackley/Montero/Smoak/Ramirez for him w/o blinking an eye.

As would I, but I would give the same package for David Price. Franklin/Ackley/Montero/Smoak and Ramirez are nothing more than our spare parts and busted prospects at this point. I doubt that would be enough to even land Price. I hate to say it but that is just a package of junk with the exception of Franklin, who we don't even need at this point. Montero, Ackley and Smoak all have "potential" but have been mediocre to just straight up bad in the major leagues. Quantity does not equal quality. As nice as it would be to think they would take our broken dreams for Stanton/Price it would never happen if the Rays/Marlins GMs had even the IQ of a plant.

The Rays are right to want either Walker or Paxton for Price. If I'm the Rays I would instantly say no to any deal that did not include Paxton or Walker. I would listen to a deal centered around Zunino but the Mariners would have to include a strong package around him. Same obviously goes for the Marlins with Stanton.

I would give up Walker for Stanton honestly. I would be hesitant to do it but I think he is one of the few players who is worth Walker. I cannot say the same about David Price.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As would I, but I would give the same package for David Price. Franklin/Ackley/Montero/Smoak and Ramirez are nothing more than our spare parts and busted prospects at this point. I doubt that would be enough to even land Price. I hate to say it but that is just a package of junk with the exception of Franklin, who we don't even need at this point. Montero, Ackley and Smoak all have "potential" but have been mediocre to just straight up bad in the major leagues. Quantity does not equal quality. As nice as it would be to think they would take our broken dreams for Stanton/Price it would never happen if the Rays/Marlins GMs had even the IQ of a plant.

The Rays are right to want either Walker or Paxton for Price. If I'm the Rays I would instantly say no to any deal that did not include Paxton or Walker. I would listen to a deal centered around Zunino but the Mariners would have to include a strong package around him. Same obviously goes for the Marlins with Stanton.

I would give up Walker for Stanton honestly. I would be hesitant to do it but I think he is one of the few players who is worth Walker. I cannot say the same about David Price.

Walker/Franklin/Zunino/Bartender - Give us Giancarlo NOW.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or... Walker/Paxton/Franklin/Zunino/Bartender/Saunders - give us Price, Meyers and Odorizzi

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather use my package for Stanton over Price simple because you can get a stud pitcher of Prices's calibur via free agency but there are no Stanton's out there. Also, team control plays a big part which also favors Stanton. I would include Zunino for Stanton if that is what it took. He is a Miami guy and maybe that sells the Marlins on him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Ubaldo Jimenez has asked for a four-year contract worth $17-20 million per season.

Hoynes says it's the "last thing (he) heard," so Jimenez could have dropped his asking price since then. It's possible Ubaldo get somewhere close to the shallow end of that demand, but $20 million per season would be a stretch. As Hoynes notes, Jimenez's asking price will be too much for Cleveland. The Yankees have been mentioned as a possible landing spot, and Hoynes lists the Blue Jays and D'Backs as potential destinations, as well.

It must be nice to want. Pass.

seafan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I go 3/60 for ubaldo, hes the best free agent SP and i think a lot safer bet than tanaka especially if hed do 3 years.