• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners offseason rumor/discussion thread

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they would do it with the highest possible amount. Businesses always believe it is better to be safe than sorry.

That is how I would think they would do it, its the smart way. I haven't been able to find much info online about how it all works and each organization could do it a little differently. My guess is they have two different payroll numbers first one being guaranteed contracts and the second being how much possible incentive contracts they will allow. Example: The team is allowed to spend around $90 million in guaranteed contracts, on top of that they are allowed to spend a maximum of $10 million in incentives. At the end of the season the total payroll would end up being between $90-$100M, of course players being traded, called up, released etc. could change the overall number.

From our point of view though it can make their payroll numbers a little misleading. Giving the fans the appearance that they are increasing payroll X amount from last season when in reality it is much less.

I don't know but if anyone out there knows the answer I am curious to know how it works.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good deal IMO. When he is healthy he is a good player. Only problem is he always gets hurt.

Yep.

Should be a VERY low up front amount with lots of performance incentives.

I'm betting he injures his wrist the moment he swings at a MLB fastball again, but maybe he'll find some Venezuelan "supplements" that MLB chemists can't yet detect to bolster his glass frame.

We can always hope!

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Should be a VERY low up front amount with lots of performance incentives.

I'm betting he injures his wrist the moment he swings at a MLB fastball again, but maybe he'll find some Venezuelan "supplements" that MLB chemists can't yet detect to bolster his glass frame.

We can always hope!

It may not take swinging a bat to get this guy hurt. He will need to be careful tying his shoes.

And with his luck once he is healthy and playing well he will get hit by a baseball which will lead to the diagnoses of a disease.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to FOX Sports' Jon Morosi, the Mariners are showing "continued interest" in Ervin Santana.

Rays left-hander David Price is apparently out of reach, so the M's will look to make a rotation upgrade in free agency. Santana posted a fantastic 3.24 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 161/51 K/BB ratio across 211 innings this past year for Kansas City. He's said to be seeking a five-year, $112 million contract, but that price should soon drop.

---------

The headline said M's have continued interest in Santana and I immediately was thinking Johan. Kind of more interested in Johan honestly. Something about Ervin's track record scares me.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to FOX Sports' Jon Morosi, the Mariners are showing "continued interest" in Ervin Santana.

Rays left-hander David Price is apparently out of reach, so the M's will look to make a rotation upgrade in free agency. Santana posted a fantastic 3.24 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 161/51 K/BB ratio across 211 innings this past year for Kansas City. He's said to be seeking a five-year, $112 million contract, but that price should soon drop.

---------

The headline said M's have continued interest in Santana and I immediately was thinking Johan. Kind of more interested in Johan honestly. Something about Ervin's track record scares me.

I like Santana as a #3 or #4, but not at anywhere near that price. If he doesn't go significantly lower than that, no thanks.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1h Ruffin DFAd. Yikes. Fister trade, s1 pick by Detroit in '10. Strikeout rate jumped when back in pen, but pretty unimpressive last 2 years.

------------------

He was the big piece? Jack, wow!

Things like this make that broncosmitty idiot from the detroit board look that much more stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

---------

I like the idea of signing Ervin Santana but 5 years $112m is utterly ridiculous.

Santana is way too streaky to give a 5 year $112m deal.

When you look at his track record he is either in the mid to low 3 ERA range or has an ERA above 5. Even at his best he is not worth a 5 year $112m deal. He is wayyyy wayyyy wayyy too streaky.

Look at his year by year ERA/WAR:
2005: 4.65 ERA 0.8 WAR
2006: 4.28 ERA 2.9 WAR
2007: 5.76 ERA -0.4 WAR
2008: 3.49 ERA 5.0 WAR
2009: 5.03 ERA -0.2 WAR
2010: 3.92 ERA 3.0 WAR
2011: 3.38 ERA 3.0 WAR
2012: 5.16 ERA -1.3 WAR
2013: 3.24 ERA 2.9 WAR

You're talking about a guy who is worth I'd say $15m per season when he is having a good year and when he is having a bad year you don't even want in your rotation. This guy has not gone more than 2 straight years without having a 5+ ERA. I would never give a guy with that kind of track record a $20m+ annual salary. Way too risky.

I'd like to see him signed but not nearly at that price. 4 years $60m would even be a bit of a risk IMO. This guy's agent must be on crack thinking he would get anything near 5 years $112m.

Even if you could somehow redact his 2009, 2007 and 2012 seasons he would not be worth $20m+ a year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 years $112m would give him an average annual salary higher than almost every pitcher in major league baseball.

Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, C.C. Sabathia, Zach Greinke, Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander would be the only pitchers with a higher annual salary than that to my knowledge.

That is almost as much as the contract that Cliff Lee signed in 2011 after coming off of the following past 3 seasons:
2010: 4.8 WAR
2009: 5.4 WAR
2008: 6.9 WAR
Total: 16.8 WAR

Santana over past 3 seasons:
2013: 2.9 WAR
2012: -1.3 WAR
2011: 3.0 WAR
Total: 4.6 WAR

I understand the negotiation tactic of trying to use a big salary as a psychological anchor to try to get a good deal for your client but you don't do it to such absurd proportions as to make people laugh. 5 years $112m is a complete and utter joke.

It is one thing to overpay Robinson Cano. Mariners, please don't overpay Ervin Santana.

seafan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Question on budget. Everybody in baseball keeps mentioning M's have the means not to break the bank this year, but then all the reports I read by Seattle writers say we have between $12-14M left to spend. Right now we are $3M below last years payroll so that means our big bank breaking is $9-$11M? If true, that would be very disappointing.

I was hoping for a $125M budget to compete with the division (i.e.- Texas and Angels), and remember we have to spend more to get the same players. I will reserve judgment until opening day.

From the seattle times:

Lincoln said the payroll budget for the upcoming season will be higher than what the team budgeted last season. The team budgeted close to $95 million for payroll last season, but only used about $84 million.

“It’s certainly going to be above what we budgeted last year,” Lincoln said. “How much? For competitive purposes, I’m not prepared to say. But it certainly is not going to go down.”

This quote from lincoln doesnt make it seem like there is a cap at 95. We still need, at least a starter, a back up catcher and a bullpen arm. Id hate to see them fill all 3 with 11 mil.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and then there is this....

Mariners Could Be Nearing Payroll Limit

By Steve Adams [December 19 at 11:01am CST]
Mariners officials are signaling to agents and others in the industry that they could be nearing their payroll limit, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Rosenthal opines that, if true, this makes the decision to spent the majority of their available funds on Robinson Cano shows that there was no plan in place for the Mariners.
Rosenthal adds that the Mariners could make exceptions "for the right player" and are continuing to discuss David Price with the Rays. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports noted in yesterday's 10 Degrees column that the M's are softening on their stance that righty Taijuan Walker is off limits.
Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik appeared on MLB Network's Hot Stove this morning and addressed the issue directly when asked by Rosenthal:
"We're at a point where I think we are trying to do a few more things. I'm not sure that anything is going to be a huge splash. We have some options out there that we can either make a trade or could add another piece to it. I think that if we go for another large deal, that obviously is going to have to go above my head. And at this moment we are where we are, and we're trying to make things work with what we have."

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is almost as if they are trying to convince themselves that trading for Price is the right move. Which I personally believe would be a mistake especially with decent FA starting pitching still out there.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was happy with the Cano signing assuming that it would be the first move in a series of expanding the payroll but if the Mariners really are near their payroll limit I'm starting to question if it was the right move. Why tie up $24m per season in Cano and $22m per year with Felix if your payroll is only going to be around $95m to $100m? You're going to lock up around 45% of payroll on two players...?

Felix and Cano are both great players but it takes more than 2 to be a contender.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Multiple Teams Interested In Nick Franklin

The Mariners have a "strong" trade market for Nick Franklin, as several teams have shown interest in the young second baseman, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal and Jon Morosi report (Twitter link). Franklin went from being Seattle's second baseman of the future to an obvious trade candidate following the team's signing of Robinson Cano, and given his pedigree, it's no surprise that teams are looking to acquire a promising, controllable talent.
Franklin, 22, was taken by the Mariners with the 27th overall pick of the 2009 draft and he entered the season ranked as the 47th-best prospect in the game by MLB.com and as the 79th-best by Baseball America. The 2013 Baseball America Prospect Handbook ranked Franklin as the fifth-best prospect in Seattle's system, saying "he profiles as a solid regular who could play in a few All-Star Games." Franklin hit .287/.360/.459 with 46 homers and 63 steals (out of 81 chances) over 1756 minor league PA, and then hit .225/.303/.382 with 12 homers in 412 PA with the Mariners in 2013, his first taste of Major League action.
Since Franklin has a lot of minor league experience at shortstop, the M's could also make him Cano's double play partner and shop incumbent shortstop Brad Miller instead. Miller, however, actually outhit Franklin in both the majors and the minors and (while he isn't a great defender) is better suited to shortstop than Franklin, so Miller could have more value to the Mariners going forward.
With Cano, Omar Infante and even secondary options like Kelly Johnson, Mark Ellis and Brian Roberts off the board, teams looking for second base help have precious little left on the free agent market. The Blue Jays stand out as a would-be contender with a hole at second base, while teams like the Braves and Mets could have a need for a promising young second baseman if they move their current keystone position stalwarts (Dan Uggla and Daniel Murphy, respectively) who have been rumored to be on the trade market themselves.

Mets will gladly take either of them, wonder what it would take?

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was happy with the Cano signing assuming that it would be the first move in a series of expanding the payroll but if the Mariners really are near their payroll limit I'm starting to question if it was the right move. Why tie up $24m per season in Cano and $22m per year with Felix if your payroll is only going to be around $95m to $100m? You're going to lock up around 45% of payroll on two players...?

Felix and Cano are both great players but it takes more than 2 to be a contender.

They kind of did the same thing with Felix and Ichiro a few years back. Spread the money Jack.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Trade Rumors: Jimmy Rollins to Seattle Mariners?

Like this article
chevron-w.gif

By Larry Seely Dec 19, 2013 - 18 hours ago in Sports

Seattle - The Philadelphia Phillies are officially in rebuilding mode as the front office of the team has put just about every veteran on the trading block this winter.
Shortstop Jimmy Rollins is just the latest player rumored on then move as Philly looks to gain some young prospects and rid themselves of several big contracts. One problem with the latest rumor is Rollins can veto any deal, but if the money is right and a contending team came calling, one would believe the 35 year-old would need to listen to a potential move. Seattle is the new kid on the block as the Mariners signed a new TV deal in the Pacific Northwest that has the team with some additional cash flow. The signing of Robinson Cano made headlines, but this franchise needs much more than just one strong offensive player and trading for a quality lead off hitter could help overtake Oakland and Texas in the AL West. Rumors also have the franchise looking for another veteran pitcher and with Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels also on the trading block, don't be surprised if Seattle doesn't make some kind of move with the Phillies before the start of the 2014 MLB season.