• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners offseason rumor/discussion thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I would start a thread to post any rumors regarding possible free agency interest among the Mariners. Also can be used as a general free agency discussion and debate about rumors not big enough to warrant their own thread.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First topic of discussion, fresh off MLBTR:

The Mariners have money to spend and a need for offense. Yesterday, Joel Sherman of the New York Post wrote that the team could be aggressive on free agents Jhonny Peralta, Nelson Cruz, and Mike Napoli. The latest:

The Mariners' reported interest in Jacoby Ellsbury may be overblown, hears ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. Crasnick wrote earlier than the Ms are more immersed in the Carlos Beltran/Peralta/Kendrys Morales market than in Ellsbury's. The Mariners would like to find a way to add Cruz and Beltran, tweets Crasnick. If they are to pull that off, it could be another offseason of disregarding defense, in my opinion. Signing Cruz and Beltran requires the forfeiture of draft picks, but the Mariners' first rounder is protected. They would lose their second round pick as well as their Competitive Balance Round B pick (similar to the Indians last winter).

I'd take Nelson Cruz and Carlos Beltran over nothing but I think they would both be a tremendous waste of money. Carlos Beltran does not look to be a long term option (he turns 37 in April) and Nelson Cruz cannot hit away from Texas.

To emphasize my dislike of the Mariners pursuing Nelson Cruz here are his home and away splits:
Home: 405 games 92 HRs .294 BA .356 OBP .912 OPS
Away: 399 games 65 HRs .242 BA .299 OBP .734 OPS

Nelson Cruz career at Safeco Field: 172 ABs 8 HR .238 BA .299 OBP .741 OPS

He does not hit well away from Texas and he does not hit well at Safeco. His injury history is also a concern. Since Nelson Cruz's breakout year in 2009 he has averaged just 126 games played per season over those 5 seasons. Nelson Cruz has only played more than 130 games in a season once, in 2012 when he played 159 games.

I would stay away from Nelson Cruz entirely and Carlos Beltran is not much of a long term addition. Not a fan of either ideas.

chip

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on Cruz and Beltran. For the same reason you dislike the Cruz idea is why I'm not as high on signing corey hart. Those are his 2012 splits. Doesn't appear to be the productive hitter away from miller field. Granted he isn't going to cost as much as Cruz.

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Home 272 54 82 17 3 22 51 21 5 72 3 0 .301 .359 .629 .988
Away 290 37 70 18 1 8 32 23 6 79 2 0 .241 .310 .393 .703

chip

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Home 272 AB 54 R 82 Hits 22 HR 51 RBI 72 SO .301 Avg .359 OBP .629 Slg .988 OPS

Away 290 AB 37 R 70 Hits 8 HR 32 RBI 79 SO .241 Avg .310 OBP .393 Slg .703 OPS

Hopefully that's clearer

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Hart over Cruz and use the extra money elsewhere. Beltran won't come here and that makes me happy. Bautista is available and M's should make an offer. Take him for the right price. Ackley or Franklin would start the conversation and they want a 2B and pitching so Ramirez as well.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners Express Interest In Matt Kemp

The Mariners have expressed interest in Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, sources tell Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). It was reported last week that the Dodgers are open to moving Kemp, Andre Ethier, and Carl Crawford this winter.
Kemp, 29, nearly won the National League MVP in 2011 and was selected to the All-Star team in 2012 but hit only .270/.328/.395 in 290 PA for the Dodgers in 2013. The outfielder still has plenty of trade value, but he is owed $128MM through the 2019 season and Los Angeles may have to foot some of the bill if they move him. Health has been an issue for Kemp in recent years - he played 106 games in 2012 and just 73 last season. Of course, the Dodgers can afford to move one of their outfielders thanks to last year's emergence of Yasiel Puig.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$20+ mill/year for a 29 year old injury-prone outfielder in decline.

Should be a great replacement for Gutierrez glove night!

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised to hear mention of Cruz but even as much as i was a fan of him for Texas it's not the right move. Beltran is absolutely not true, we're not signing him. I don't want Matt Kemp unless they eat a huge portion of the salary and we don't have to part for much after Hultzen. That won't be happening either obviously lol. I would take Corey Seager from them but that is just a pipe dream..(back on topic). I do however want to sign Corey Hart as a DH and trade for Trumbo/Bourjos. Then maybe jump into the Tanaka bidding. I would love to trade Iwakuma for prospects if we just end up not signing anybody or doing any major trades. Iwakuma's value will likely never be higher!

Last edited by a moderator:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised to hear mention of Cruz but even as much as i was a fan of him for Texas it's not the right move. Beltran is absolutely not true, we're not signing him. I don't want Matt Kemp unless they eat a huge portion of the salary and we don't have to part for much after Hultzen. That won't be happening either obviously lol. I would take Corey Seager from them but that is just a pipe dream..(back on topic). I do however want to sign Corey Hart as a DH and trade for Trumbo/Bourjos. Then maybe jump into the Tanaka bidding. I would love to trade Iwakuma for prospects if we just end up not signing anybody or doing any major trades. Iwakuma's value will likely never be higher!
This is what everyone said after his first 4 months of dominant pitching 2 years ago. Then he came out and did the same thing last year. He's more of a guy you swap at the deadline for actual players, not just offseason prospects. That's when his value is highest.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Hart over Cruz and use the extra money elsewhere. Beltran won't come here and that makes me happy. Bautista is available and M's should make an offer. Take him for the right price. Ackley or Franklin would start the conversation and they want a 2B and pitching so Ramirez as well.

I like the idea of Matt Kemp a lot as long as the Dodgers eat a significant portion of his contract.

Kemp's injury history does not worry me as much as a lot of other players. From 2008 to 2011 he played an average of 159 games per season. It has just been the past two years that his injuries have been bad. He played 92 games in 2007 but I'm not sure if that was because of an injury or not. I think Kemp could be a really high upside move that we could get at a decent price because of his injuries.

I'm not sure how I feel about Jose Bautista. Something worries me about a player like him, a guy who was garbage the first 6 years of his career and suddenly explodes for 54 home runs at age 29. Maybe I'm just being a little overly cautious but I'm not sure I'd make a move for Bautista unless the price is right.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemp would not be happy in Seattle. He is a Hollywood boy and life in the rainy city would only make him mope and mold.

I'm not worried on why it took Bautista so long to develop. I worry about his injury that has slowed him the last couple of years, but whatever he did to turn it around has worked. The price has to be always right, but we are Seattle and they will be made to overpay in free agency as well as in trades. GM's smell their desperation.

Personally I still don't see how we get better with trades. We have limited talent so trading one for another really doesn't make us better. It may fill spots that we are weak at, but overall talent wise it doesn't make us better.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemp would not be happy in Seattle. He is a Hollywood boy and life in the rainy city would only make him mope and mold.

I'm not worried on why it took Bautista so long to develop. I worry about his injury that has slowed him the last couple of years, but whatever he did to turn it around has worked. The price has to be always right, but we are Seattle and they will be made to overpay in free agency as well as in trades. GM's smell their desperation.

Personally I still don't see how we get better with trades. We have limited talent so trading one for another really doesn't make us better. It may fill spots that we are weak at, but overall talent wise it doesn't make us better.

Why wouldn't he love Seattle then, with the way he looks he would be a werewolf in whatever new twilight movie.

Agree with that last one completely. The only real trade worth while in the offseason would be to deal Felix. There isn't really anybody on the team that can turn this team competitive unless Jack decides to deals everyone under 25 that we have heard of.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we can get better with trades and free agency. Overall talent can be built by simply getting the better side of the trades.

Between Bautista and Kemp I'd rather have Kemp. Kemp's injury concerns worry me less than Bautista's, he is 4 years younger and IMO when healthy a much more valuable player. Since Kemp is coming off of a two year stretch where he only played in 179 total games, we could get him for substantially less than we would if he was healthy. I think this could be a real value trade. When Kemp is healthy he is one of the best players in MLB.

I don't think there has been any talk about Braun but he is another guy I'd love to make a move for. With the whole PED thing I think he can be had for a reduced price. Personally I don't care if a guy is tarnished with the label of PED abuser, I just want someone who can play, and there is little doubt about Braun's ability.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three other guys that the Mariners have not been connected to that could be good trade options (if available) all come from the Cardinals:

3B: David Freese: Yankees have been connected to him. Therefore safe to say the Cardinals are open to trading him.
1B: Allen Craig: Cardinals have Craig and Adams on their roster already. Both are good players but they may be open to trading one of them and letting the other start full time.
1B: Matt Adams: See above.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I would complete the triple post by posting these other rumors regarding the Mariners:

A source says the says Mariners have "no interest" in Jacoby Ellsbury but the Cubs appear to be stealthily waiting in the wings (link). The Cubs are probably targeting 2015 to make a move towards contending but its possible that they'll look to make a splash this winter in advance of that.

The Mariners have Rockies outfielder Dexter Fowler on their radar as a potential trade target (link). The Mariners have been connected to any number of outfielders already this offseason, so it's unsurprising that they would be interested in Fowler, who hit .263/.369/.407 in 2013. Fowler is set to earn $7.35MM in 2014.

Tldr:
-The Mariners apparently have no interest in Jacoby Ellsbury. That comes a day after ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reported that the Mariners interest in Ellsbury was "overblown"
-Mariners interested in Dexter Fowler

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can get better with trades and free agency. Overall talent can be built by simply getting the better side of the trades.

That is funny. Not laughing at you, but one you mention free agency which Mariners are allergic to and then you mention getting the better side of the trades which they just seem apposed to. I get your points and I agree, but I just don't see them doing either or at least they haven't under GMZ. I have always said said you trade assets that you have extras of for positions you are thin at and then sign free agents to add to the building. M's don't seem to agree as history has proven.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another rumor, even though they could've just paste and copied from last years free agent rumors...

MLB Trade rumors: Mariners interested in Billy Butler - SBNation.com

The Seattle Mariners are trying to upgrade their lineup for 2014, and are reportedly interested in making a run at Kansas City Royals designated hitter Billy Butler, according to FOX Sports.
Seattle finished in fourth place in the AL West last season, largely due to an offense that ranked 22nd in runs scored and 28th in batting average. Butler would immediately step in and become a middle-of-the-order presence, having hit .289 with 15 home runs and 82 RBIs in 2013.
To acquire Butler, the Mariners would likely have to part with one of their major pitching prospects. Seattle has one of the strongest pitching systems in baseball, featuring Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen and James Paxton. Considering the Royals are probably going to lose Ervin Santana in free agency -- he's asking for $112 million over five years -- acquiring a top arm would appear to be a must for them, especially as they attempt to win before the contract of James Shields runs out.
The Mariners were about average offensively in 2013, but could lose both Kendrys Morales and Mike Morse from their lineup, as well as Raul Ibanez, who will be 42 years old and can't be expected to repeat his 29-homer season even if he does re-sign.
The one downside for the Mariners -- besides cost -- is that Butler is strictly a designated hitter at this point in his career. That clogs up that spot in the lineup, which would keep manager Lloyd McClendon want to rotate players through it. If he hits, though, the Mariners will deal with that.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOPE no pitching prospects for "Billy Butler" they're smoking crack. One year of control? He had a down year no thanks. If you want to send Erasmo, Bartender and some fringe pieces or even Hultzen OK. Not worth it otherwise. There's better options like Hart and wouldn't cost us anything but $.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please, don't trade a top prospect for Butler. I don't mind trading for him, but Walker, Hultzen or Paxton shouldn't be the price. Not only is he at $20.5 million over the next 2 years, but the team sacrificed pitching for offense last year and it really didn't help. Those pitching prospects have a good chance of being contributors in Seattle next year, I would hate to see them in KC.

I like Butler as much as the next guy, he hits well, doesn't strike out a lot, is patient and doesn't get hurt. If this deal happens, it will be confirmation that Morales will not be returning, cause you can't have Butler and Morales at DH, and neither can really be an option at 1st base for an entire season (or even half a season). But, at least he would be a solid right handed bat, which the Mariners seemed to be lacking last season.