• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners offseason rumor/discussion thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to have Morales back and I'd much rather have the money spent on him than on Nelson Cruz.

It seems things have died down with Cruz. I have to imagine Cruz wants more than the Mariners are willing to give. Thank God they're not willing to give him more than he deserves.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen!!!!!!

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time I checked an over priced second baseman isn't the last missing piece of this organization...

I dont think there is such thing as missing piece to this organization. Adding Cano will do nothing but help.

I have as much mariner hatred built up as the next guy. But you have to agree this off season was better then most.........

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think there is such thing as missing piece to this organization. Adding Cano will do nothing but help.

I have as much mariner hatred built up as the next guy. But you have to agree this off season was better then most.........

Absolutely!

We land the biggest fish in the sea, add an actual closer, and now may be on the verge of landing Morales. We will have no doubts this year about Guti, have solid trade pieces available due to the Cano signing, and have a couple of high potential guys (Hart & LOMO) that could make an impact. No more dealing with Brenden Ryans struggles, Michael Morse underachieving, or Safeco Joe on the road. I'm even excited to see Willie back!

At the end of the day the Seahawks are Superbowl Champions, so not even the M's should bring any of us down this year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Better in regards to gaining more attention for the team, but as far as making us better not enough to matter if at all. Spending a big chunk of your payroll on one guy doesn't do much in baseball where you can simply pitch around a one trick pony lineup. Yes Hart could help, but we have so many 'coulds' in this lineup that we could also set the record for lowest runs scored. Cano plus two more legit MLB hitters w/o 'could' associated with them would have been a good offseason along with another legit SP and Baker as a bonus signing.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:wtf2: Wazzu you really Jack Z? just joking...

It's one piece, he's not gonna club a ton of HR's but he will have a hay day hitting doubles at Safeco...

Yes they made moves, are they positive moves? We wont know until say August if the M's are still competing and winning games, but if they can't score runs, pitch out of tough situations and bottomline wins games then it will be classified as over all wrong moves, ( I used moves it's not all on Cano).....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news and bad news.

Bad news? Orioles are on the verge of signing Ubaldo Jimenez which means one less SP the Mariners can go after.

Good news? The Orioles were one of the few remaining serious contenders for Kendrys Morales. After giving Ubaldo 4 years $48m, I wonder how willing they would be to offer Morales a deal.

The Mariners have a lot of DH types, but I'd feel more comfortable with Morales at DH than Logan Morrison.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news? The Orioles were one of the few remaining serious contenders for Kendrys Morales. After giving Ubaldo 4 years $48m, I wonder how willing they would be to offer Morales a deal.
Keep in mind that they lost a first round pick in signing Ubaldo. That means that a deal with Morales or Cruz could be a better proposition because they would only have to give up a 2nd rather than a first as it once was. Hopefully they go after Cruz so we can have Morales back.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf2: Wazzu you really Jack Z? just joking...

It's one piece, he's not gonna club a ton of HR's but he will have a hay day hitting doubles at Safeco...

Yes they made moves, are they positive moves? We wont know until say August if the M's are still competing and winning games, but if they can't score runs, pitch out of tough situations and bottomline wins games then it will be classified as over all wrong moves, ( I used moves it's not all on Cano).....

lol. it's almost spring, pitchers and catchers have reported and im going to choose to be positive. In all likelyhood come June the team will be out of it, and ill have plenty of time to be cranky!!

But if I look at this club last year, and then look at what they did in the off season. Im not sure I could really of asked expected more........Now sure you could be totally unrealistic and say you wanted cano, tanaka, elsbury, cruz, trade franklin for Zach Greinke etc. etc.

But if were being realistic with all things considered this off season is much better then the "well lets hope Montero, Ackley and Smoak hit" off seasons past.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if were being realistic with all things considered this off season is much better then the "well lets hope Montero, Ackley and Smoak hit" off seasons past.

No your are 100% on that man, question is gonna be on the starting rotation, I'm nervous with two of the big three being thrust into the rotation, and lets face they are for the simple fact there isn't anyone else. Granted its time to see what they have and if they can succeed in the biggs....

Time will tell and come June we could be surprised that there playing good ball and winning games and there aren't any injuries...:suds:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett Gardner has agreed to a 4 year $52M extension. Next year's free agency class is slim pickins and Gardner's extension removes another good player from that class.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, and that is why I wanted so much for us to do our christmas shopping this year. Fans keep saying you can't do it all in one offseason, but it has been 10 offseasons and the next one coming up has very little to offer so get the goods when the goods are available which was this offseason.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • While the Mariners could still use a pitcher and a right-handed bat, two sources tell CBS Sports' Jon Heyman that the team has "little or no loot left to spend," which GM Jack Zudriencik wouldn't confirm. A lack of payroll space could explain why the Mariners haven't extended offers to Santana or Kendrys Morales, and didn't make an offer to Nelson Cruz (before he signed with the Orioles) despite interest in all three players.
  • Missing Iwakuma and Walker early in the season could particularly hurt the Mariners since they play the A's 10 times before May 7. "If Walker and Iwakuma miss the month of April, with our schedule that month it could get ugly," a Mariners source tells Heyman. Robinson Cano and at least one other M's player expressed the opinion that Santana would be a great fit, while Cano would also like to see the switch-hitting Morales brought back. "I'm not going to lie. We need an extra bat, especially a right-handed bat," Cano said. "We have many left-handed hitters. We need at least one more righty. You don't want to face a lefty pitcher with a lineup of seven left-handed hitters."

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If true, it is sad on two basis;

1- Ownership is trying to screw the fans for the umpteenth year buy dangling a star to get your attention with little else around it win...like always.

2- It is the worst method of budgeting your money as a GM if you knew what your budget already was. Didn't GMZ learn from the Ichiro/Felix 30% of budget years that it doesn't work unless you have top flight rookies to balance it out? Currently Felix/Cano make up about 55% of current payroll and we don't have the benefit of Cardinals rookie talent to fill out the roster.

It just becomes beyond ridiculous at some point and that point was a decade ago and still counting.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea I agree with what your saying completely. If this team doesnt make the playoff in the next 3 years, the Cano contract will be a disaster. After 3 years he will be 34 and likely starting to decline, Felix will be 30 and then you are likely back to square 1 with everything except in worse shape because you have a huge contract on the books for 7 more years. If they dont try and go all in during this time frame then it will be extremely disappointing. Z is likely in a lame duck year anyway barring a miracle.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly and unfortunately Jack will be long gone in 3 years and we will still be here bitching about poor management unless Lincoln is moved into a care home and new ownerships comes in and really enjoys baseball and has this thing about trying to win. I can dream.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Walker and Iwakuma both being injured our pitching situation is looking grim to say the least. The Mariners seriously need to make room and sign Ervin Santana. We needed pitching before these two went down and now we need it even more.

Kendrys Morales looks to be out of suitors, the Mariners should offer him a 1 year deal now before someone else does. He is an extreme bargain at this point. Seriously, I don't care if they don't have much money left, he will be off the books this time next year.

This organization frustrates the living hell out of me. They have two options in Santana and Morales that both make a hell of a lot of sense, and yet they are suffering from payroll constraints? How rigid can they be? Don't they see how insane this city is going over the Seahawks? Don't they see the amount of support this city will give a winner? If the Mariners put a contender out on the field, it will pay for itself.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The payroll constraints are self imposed and that is the most frustrating part. They have plenty of money to spend, but choose to play the poor act. That act is getting old.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The payroll constraints are self imposed and that is the most frustrating part. They have plenty of money to spend, but choose to play the poor act. That act is getting old.

This. The team needs a bat and a starting pitcher. There are one of each on the open market the Mariners could sign, yet they refuse to make a move.