• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners offseason rumor/discussion thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The payroll constraints are self imposed and that is the most frustrating part. They have plenty of money to spend, but choose to play the poor act. That act is getting old.

Its true. I still dont think signing Santana and Morales make this a playoff team but it balances things out a bit. I actually am optimistic about what Paxton, Walker and Ramirez can bring. It will be more refreshing watching them then the power trio of Saunders, Harang and Bonderman that was trotted out last year. However they will all be on innings limits so unless you get an amazing lift from Scott Baker you need another starter. I get Morales can only DH but he is one of the few guys that can hit at Safeco and can push Smoak for playing time.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The payroll constraints are self imposed and that is the most frustrating part. They have plenty of money to spend, but choose to play the poor act. That act is getting old.

The FO did just pay 1 player 240 million dollars, not sure the payroll constraints were used for the best interest of the team

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FO did just pay 1 player 240 million dollars, not sure the payroll constraints were used for the best interest of the team

That $240M contract is an old magic trick. They say, 'See you can't call us cheap because we spent $240M so that makes us legit'. But in reality, they spent their normal payroll which again is under $100M. It is under $90M right now. The years given mean little as well because only he and Felix are under any sort of long term contract so increase in payroll outside of inflation is still within their total control. So having 2 guys make $45M combined with 23 making a combined $40M doesn't change their squeak, squeak when they walk.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't Hansen and Ballmer like baseball as opposed to basketball?

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That $240M contract is an old magic trick. They say, 'See you can't call us cheap because we spent $240M so that makes us legit'. But in reality, they spent their normal payroll which again is under $100M. It is under $90M right now. The years given mean little as well because only he and Felix are under any sort of long term contract so increase in payroll outside of inflation is still within their total control. So having 2 guys make $45M combined with 23 making a combined $40M doesn't change their squeak, squeak when they walk.

Same ol Mariners...

They have a fan base and a sports town dying to see a contending mlb team. The past few years I've watched meaningful sept games and playoff games where stadiums weren't sold out and I thought to myself...if the M's were contending or playing in a meaningful game Safeco field would be packed to the brim

But nope...the owners don't want to field a contending team. They're happy making the money they're making. Their philosophy behind this is probably...well a dead clock clock is right twice a day. So if we do nothing essentially and just roll the dice we'll get lucky and hopefully contend maybe once or twice every 10 years

I was moderately excited and optimistic after the Cano signing, but checking the pulse now...I bet there are more Seattle fans attending and interested in Russell Wilson in spring training than the Mariners

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to the last few innings of that Wilson/Rangers game. It was packed full of Seahawk gear. My wife went in the morning and the line was long and they weren't Rangers fans in it. Remember when the Mariners led the league in attendance? I barely do since it has been so long, but who can blame the fans. Sad.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It really pisses me off!!! Every year they say they will increase payroll then they don't. Then they pay Cano too much money thinking we won't realize the team isn't any better than it was the years before.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep.

It's what I figured from the get go. The FO/owernship is betting that their investment in Cano will earn a little bit of money in the long run. They don't care about building a winning team. It's just so sad.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's this? M's looking at a trade? And it is a blockbuster....I mean a blockluster.

M's talking with White Sox about Dayan Viciedo and Smoak's name has been mentioned as possible return. This would probably actually lower our payroll. Cheap ass bastards.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's this? M's looking at a trade? And it is a blockbuster....I mean a blockluster.

M's talking with White Sox about Dayan Viciedo and Smoak's name has been mentioned as possible return. This would probably actually lower our payroll. Cheap ass bastards.

Believe it or not I think I'd actually rather have Smoak. Vicidedo cannot play defense, run, or get on base. We already have a ton of guys who cannot run or play defense, I'm not sure why we would need another.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I would rather have smoak too. Vicidedo essentially is Corey Hart but younger. I seriously am afraid of Z making any trade.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3: where's that "upbeat approach" you were talking last month Coug about keeping positive thoughts??
You caught me. It must have been this news of sudden budget constraints that whacked me in the face.:gaah:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only Mariners can find a way to trade a bad player for a worse player.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now rumors say they are talking Saunders for Viciedo. I said on another site that I think Saunders is dealt before start of the season. I just wish it would be for something more than a hack with no defense.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via MLBTR, an update on the Morales situation:

The Mariners have made a series of attempts to re-sign DH Kendrys Morales since he turned down their qualifying offer, but the Mariners' proposals probably reflected the reality that if they re-signed Morales, they would lose the compensatory draft pick they would gain if another team signed him. Some Mariners personnel believe the team's greatest need right now is another hitter.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....Some Mariners personnel believe the team's greatest need right now is another hitter

MENSA-level analysis. A promotion is in order for the personnel that came up with that.