• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Look at Tebow's guns compared to Manning's.

Manning looks pencil thin.

http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8277f9e6&module=HP11_cp
goto

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now that you mention it, my wife has been out of town since Sunday, so perhaps I'm a bit more tense than usual.

I did not mean for those comments to come out quite as dick-ish as they did. A little bit, sure, but re-reading it, it's a bit stronger than I intended.

My sense from this conversation is that you have made up your mind that it is all about the money for Peyton, and are now looking for evidence that supports you. As you said - and I did realize you said it I just didn't think you were actually considering it - we don't have a clue what the Colts offered, or even if they did. Here's the thing: from the Colts' perspective, this is probably a convenient excuse to get rid of Peyton at just the right time. They have a chance to get the best QB prospect since Peyton, and having the two of them on the same team creates some tension. So now they get to delicately get rid of Peyton and go with the younger guy, which is absolutely the right call if they think Luck is a franchise QB. They will need the cap space that Manning would take up to give Luck the supporting cast he needs to be successful.

I said above that they might have only offered him 50% of what they had. I think there's a good chance that figure is still too high. He was due a $28 million roster bonus. I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted to drop that to $10 million or less, or completely restructure the contract to remove the roster bonus altogether. I can't fault Manning for deciding he didn't want a contract to play for Indy for one year, break in Luck, and then get kicked to the curb. That may not be the reality, but I think it's closer than Manning simply wanting more money. And let's be honest: money is a consideration. Sure, Manning doesn't need more money. But it's the actual funds combined with what it says about the player. I'm sure Manning will get far more than he could from the Colts somewhere else. That may not be his primary concern, but it is a concern.

Finally, I was a bit harsh about reading the article. I figure that all the regulars on here, at least, know that restructuring is not the same as taking a pay cut, and that guys routinely restructure to help their team's cap, but don't actually lose out on any money. My first thought on seeing the headline was, "Well did he actually take a pay cut." I was surprised you didn't check that, and it was rather prominently featured in the article. But again, I am sorry if I was a dick about it.

No worries...I appreciate your reply. There are a lot of quick, snappy, and harsh replies at times and sometimes it gets really frustrating, you are not usually the one to do it. An argument that boils up out of several exchanges and someone is being stupid and ignorant...if I do that fine, that's fair.

Yes, my gut feeling is money, but I can completely understand them wanting to graciously show him the door and low balling him (if that happened). I think if Irsay had a chance in hell to keep Peyton for another two or three years to REALLY let Luck season, he would want to do that. Luck is everything but proven (NFL) and Peyton could use at least a year in familiar surroundings to show his injury is a non-factor. If its about Luck and the conflict with him and Manning...then this is a decision I respect. But because of the statements he made about being a Colt, I sincerely hope it wasn't about money.

Colt QBs had a rough go last season and Luck might be in for a very tough transition. I guess my comment is about loyalty more than anything, which I think you understand about me. I do something that I absolutely love, a dream come true, dearly bought, requiring sacrifice to keep, and difficult; I take those comments by Peyton seriously. Barry Sanders is a guy I hold up in very high regard.

But like we both agree...who knows what happened. And to be honest I really don't understand all that much about contracts, perhaps I need to read more on that if I'm going to post on it. I saw the reduced yearly payment to $1.75 million a year and then the total, but thought there has to be a reduction otherwise its just smoke and mirrors. I think it very admirable for a player to take a cut to stay with his team when he is the elite guy. And I know something about the Mannings, like I told Nonsense, I know the church his parents were married in, I shop at his grandparents store regularly, they are a local topic, in a small town. Eli is the "nice" guy...to be honest I use comparisons about how Peyton trains in my job...I know how competitive he is.

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just flat-out wrong. Off the top of my head, Brees, Dilfer, Gannon, TB's QB (Brad Johnson?), and Brett Favre won for teams other than the one that drafted them. Kurt Warner could be considered in that class as he went to camp with GB before moving to the arena league.

Now, if you're talking about a QB winning for another team the first year he joined them, you may be right. Johnson and Warner won in their second years, and Gannon in his third. Can't speak for the rest and don't have time to research now.

I see Warty addressed this. Sorry to reiterate, though I'm pleased to see I came up with a few names Warty missed. :-)

Except Gannon didn't win a super bowl.:llama::llama::llama::llama:

I don't know how I whiffed on Dilfer.

That llama makes me happier than PacMan (the video game, not the idiot).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Gannon didn't win a super bowl.:llama::llama::llama::llama:

I don't know how I whiffed on Dilfer.

That llama makes me happier than PacMan (the video game, not the idiot).

In all fairness Dilfer probably should not even count because he was not the starter at the beginning of the season - Tony Banks was. Dilfer didn't become the starter until the 9th game of the 2000 season. Hilariously, (or perhaps not so hilariously if you're Dilfer) after Dilfer won the Super Bowl he was released the following year - How's that for a thanks now get lost!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure which Manning-Smith thread to put this in so I'll put it in this one. The link isn't that great, so you might need to scroll down to see the video and article.

Alex Smith on Peyton Manning

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON)--After being released from his team this week, could former Indianapolis Colts star Peyton Manning start over with the San Francisco 49ers? KRON 4 caught up with 49ers quarterback Alex Smith who discussed the speculation surrounding Manning signing on with the Bay Area team.

"I think there will be quite a few teams that kick the tires on him and play the what-ifs," Smith said. "It's Peyton Manning so I'm not thinking about it, it's outside of my control, my realm--but how can you fault a lot of teams taking some interest in him?"

KRON 4 also spoke with Smith about contract negotiations.

"It's going. That's all I really want to say," Smith said. "I think everybody knows how I feel about the San Francisco 49ers, about Coach Harbaugh, the staff.I love it here."

Manning, who played with the Colts for 14 seasons, was released from the team earlier this week. Despite speculation about where he could end up, Manning said Thursday that he hasn't given much thought yet to the future.

“I haven’t thought about teams and I don’t know who is interested, I really don’t. This is all new to me,” Manning said. “I think my agent has been getting calls at 4 o’clock today since this started. I haven’t talked to him because I literally just got off the plane and am ready to start back on my training again because that’s what I need to do.”

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously these are contract negotiations, and you can't take anything anyone says at face value......but can you imagine if this came up. "You said Alex was an elite QB, and Pro Bowl player, numerous times, we have it documented!". Harbaugh would have to politely explain that he was just being positive and pumping him up.

I mean, I can't imagine even Condon would try to portray Smith as an elite QB, no matter what Harbaugh said in a presser.

I cant believe how many fans actually believed Harbaugh truly felt Alex was "elite" and not just doing what you are suppose to do to build confidence as a Head Coach.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My favorite scenario is the Broncos signing Peyton and trading Tebow to the Seahawks.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure which Manning-Smith thread to put this in so I'll put it in this one. The link isn't that great, so you might need to scroll down to see the video and article.

Alex Smith on Peyton Manning

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON)--After being released from his team this week, could former Indianapolis Colts star Peyton Manning start over with the San Francisco 49ers? KRON 4 caught up with 49ers quarterback Alex Smith who discussed the speculation surrounding Manning signing on with the Bay Area team.

"I think there will be quite a few teams that kick the tires on him and play the what-ifs," Smith said. "It's Peyton Manning so I'm not thinking about it, it's outside of my control, my realm--but how can you fault a lot of teams taking some interest in him?"

KRON 4 also spoke with Smith about contract negotiations.

"It's going. That's all I really want to say," Smith said. "I think everybody knows how I feel about the San Francisco 49ers, about Coach Harbaugh, the staff.I love it here."

Manning, who played with the Colts for 14 seasons, was released from the team earlier this week. Despite speculation about where he could end up, Manning said Thursday that he hasn't given much thought yet to the future.

“I haven’t thought about teams and I don’t know who is interested, I really don’t. This is all new to me,” Manning said. “I think my agent has been getting calls at 4 o’clock today since this started. I haven’t talked to him because I literally just got off the plane and am ready to start back on my training again because that’s what I need to do.”

Alex has always been really good at being diplomatic and saying the right things. Nice to hear that he states openly that he would understand teams showing interest in Manning because after all it is Peyton Manning. Safe to assume he was saying he'd understand if the 49ers explored the possibility.

Part of what makes Smith a likeable guy. He works hard and carries himself like a professional. It's just too bad that his effort isn't turning him into an elite QB.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can now officially cross out the New York Jets and Washington Redskins from the hunt. Who are the legitimate destinations left?

Everyone is saying Seattle is out of the picture because of geography. So we have Arizona, Miami, Kansas City, and Denver.

Does Manning wanna deal with the Tim Tebow drama in Denver? The suspensions?

Does Manning wanna deal with Miami's dysfunctional front office and rookie HC?

Honestly, Arizona and Kansas City are his two best options, IMO. If he really cares about not playing in the NFC, then Kansas City should be his pick.

NolanNonsense

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Colts better be careful. The way they are gutting their team, Luck might pull an Elway on them and refuse to sign. Then they'd really be up shit creek.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Colts better be careful. The way they are gutting their team, Luck might pull an Elway on them and refuse to sign. Then they'd really be up shit creek.

Well Luck won't do that because he isn't a douche.

If I didn't think the Colts were generally a good franchise or if it were the Rams/Seahawks/Cardinals/Packers/Cowboys, I'd be rooting for this. I'm sure I'm leaving some teams out because I literally hate half the NFL. (Sarcasm)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If I didn't think the Colts were generally a good franchise or if it were the Rams/Seahawks/Cardinals/Packers/Cowboys, I'd be rooting for this. I'm sure I'm leaving some teams out because I literally hate half the NFL. (Sarcasm)

I'd be rooting for this if there were even a .01% chance the Niners got him.

NolanNonsense

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well Luck won't do that because he isn't a douche.

I hope he doesn't do it but I wouldn't put it past him. But I rooted against Elway for his entire career because of it. If I had been in Robert Irsay's shoes I'd have called Elway's bluff and let him go play minor league baseball. I think Indy retained his rights for three years? Elway would have signed.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can now officially cross out the New York Jets and Washington Redskins from the hunt. Who are the legitimate destinations left?

Everyone is saying Seattle is out of the picture because of geography. So we have Arizona, Miami, Kansas City, and Denver.

Does Manning wanna deal with the Tim Tebow drama in Denver? The suspensions?

Does Manning wanna deal with Miami's dysfunctional front office and rookie HC?

Honestly, Arizona and Kansas City are his two best options, IMO. If he really cares about not playing in the NFC, then Kansas City should be his pick.

I've been saying he should go to KC from the get go. I think that's a good fit for him. They also have a ton of cap room (when i last looked) and could bring in Wayne and possibly Clark as well. KC should do whatever they can to get him.

NolanNonsense

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've been saying he should go to KC from the get go. I think that's a good fit for him. They also have a ton of cap room (when i last looked) and could bring in Wayne and possibly Clark as well. KC should do whatever they can to get him.

I believe he'll go to Arizona.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be rooting for this if there were even a .01% chance the Niners got him.

True, true. But all this not going for Manning has shut my mind on us getting anyone else but Smith, including Luck. I've been distracted (discouraged a better word?). :(