• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Luke Walton named HC of the Lakers

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should eventually top everyone on this list not named Riley.

Per our great @ESPNStatsInfo crew, Luke Walton will be the eighth former Lakers player to go on to coach the team:

View attachment 113019
He might pass up Pat Riley - you just never know, but either way - it was the best hire of the next NBA season - going to be a lot jealous teams out there with this one. According new article - the Lakers is the one and only team he honestly wanted to coach - I am already excited about this one

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should eventually top everyone on this list not named Riley.

Per our great @ESPNStatsInfo crew, Luke Walton will be the eighth former Lakers player to go on to coach the team:

View attachment 113019

Slow down, Turbo.

Riley has 1 Chip as a player, 1 as a Assistant, 4 as a Coach.

* with the Lakers*

Unless Mitch finds him a Magic, Kareem and Worthy....that's gonna be a tall order to surpass that kinda success , especially for a young Coach with a young roster.

I think it's a great Hiring.

But patience is needed.

I hope people don't expect a Warriors like renaissance because he can't bring Steph with him.

What I do expect is for him to have this young Team running and to treat their mistakes as a teaching moment, not a reason to be punitive.

It should be exciting to watch, with gradual improvement as the youngsters mature.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was gonna wait until Monday but I thought I would post my thoughts on this sooner.

Really happy for Luke, sad for the Warriors. Luke has all the tools to be very successful. His strength as a coach was his ability to relate to players. The biggest x-factor will be having to be the bad cop at times for this team. For the most part he was always the good cop, even with Kerr out.

Lastly the biggest part of his potential success will be his ability to build a great staff. That one was one of the major differences between Jackson and Kerr. Luke will need to bring on a good staff and one that has plenty of experience. If he can do that, Lakers fans should feel really optimistic about this hire.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope people don't expect a Warriors like renaissance because he can't bring Steph with him.

Even if he could, Kerr took over a 50 win team. Luke is taking over a 17 win team. If the Lakers don't land a top tier FA, improving to 30 -34 wins would be just fine for next season.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I do expect is for him to have this young Team running and to treat their mistakes as a teaching moment, not a reason to be punitive.

The defense and the bold part of your quote are why I stopped supporting Byron. He would pull a guy for making a mistake and instead of talking to him and putting him right back in the game, he'd just park them on the bench and leave them there. None of the young guys ever complained about being yanked from the game or benched. They complained about not knowing why it happened.

If Luke just does that and improves the defense, he will prove himself to be far better than Byron.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense and the bold part of your quote are why I stopped supporting Byron. He would pull a guy for making a mistake and instead of talking to him and putting him right back in the game, he'd just park them on the bench and leave them there. None of the young guys ever complained about being yanked from the game or benched. They complained about not knowing why it happened.

If Luke just does that and improves the defense, he will prove himself to be far better than Byron.

Byron is a terrible coach. I kind of hope he doesn't get another HC position

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumour has it he'll be taking the triangle out of the offense completely and use more of the GSW approach.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How were you wrong? Mark Jackson started this shit. We don't know if they would've won a ring or not if Mark stayed. He was not given enough time to see if he can, because he and the owners didn't see eye to eye. Who's to say that Kerr is good enough to turn the Warriors around like Mark did.

This isn't a Mark vs Kerr thing. I don't know who is better, but Kerr being successful does not discredit what type of coach Mark is.

This.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke needs to make his 1st assistant a solid veteran lifer assistant HC. Somebody he can rely on a lot.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron Scott couldn't relate to this young Lakers team in which I think Luke will beable to do. Now just need Jim Buss to go and things would be looking really good. Go Lakers!!!

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could have gone either way to be honest. Especially with Phil being Luke's biggest influence. Just glad he made the right decision.

I should hope not based on the recent success of the triangle, and the fact that the roster most likely won't fit the triangle.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me I knew Byron was on borrowed time when time after time James Worthy was questioning Scotts actions and each time said he did not understand why Scott did those things. I think Scott's biggest weakness was making the transition from old school basketball to today's - He just never made the change

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should hope not based on the recent success of the triangle, and the fact that the roster most likely won't fit the triangle.

How could Phil Jackson's influence in Luke Walton be anything but positive? Just because he has been influenced by the man does not mean he will use his offense. In fact, the reason Jackson was such an awesome coach was because of his ability to relate to players and get them to focus on common objectives. His success had very little to do with the triangle. Yes, the offense worked for him, but the Bulls and Lakers could have been equally effective (perhaps more so) With other systems.