• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Luke Walton named HC of the Lakers

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surpised but the Lakers don't exactly have the same roster the Warriors do. His success when Kerr was out could have been because he didn't need to do too much.....just not fuck it up.

Not sure how I feel about this hire......Mark Jackson may have been the smarter choice imo. He rebuilt a team and turned them into a 50 win team.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surpised but the Lakers don't exactly have the same roster the Warriors do. His success when Kerr was out could have been because he didn't need to do too much.....just not fuck it up.

Not sure how I feel about this hire......Mark Jackson may have been the smarter choice imo. He rebuilt a team and turned them into a 50 win team.

Mark Jackson would qualify as another re-tread though. I still remember the debates with @Hambombs on the topic of Jackson vs. Kerr as it relates to how much of a disparity there was in quality of coaching. Surprised that all of us were so wrong on a large scale.

Jackson will help improve the team, but he's not going to win you any titles (most likely). Isn't that the goal in Laker land?

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a retread is somebody who has coached multiple teams......Jackson coached GS for 3 seasons in his only experience as a HC. I don't consider him a re-tread. Somebody like Scott Skiles who has been around the proverbial block? Yes......re-tread.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Jackson would qualify as another re-tread though. I still remember the debates with @Hambombs on the topic of Jackson vs. Kerr as it relates to how much of a disparity there was in quality of coaching. Surprised that all of us were so wrong on a large scale.

Jackson will help improve the team, but he's not going to win you any titles (most likely). Isn't that the goal in Laker land?

I remember I was one of the very few guys that said Kerr is a much better coach than Jackson and that Kerr probably will get more out of this team than jackson. I remember I was told that we were maxed out by Jackson in terms of wins. Lol good times.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How were you wrong? Mark Jackson started this shit. We don't know if they would've won a ring or not if Mark stayed. He was not given enough time to see if he can, because he and the owners didn't see eye to eye. Who's to say that Kerr is good enough to turn the Warriors around like Mark did.

This isn't a Mark vs Kerr thing. I don't know who is better, but Kerr being successful does not discredit what type of coach Mark is.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How were you wrong? Mark Jackson started this shit. We don't know if they would've won a ring or not if Mark stayed. He was not given enough time to see if he can, because he and the owners didn't see eye to eye. Who's to say that Kerr is good enough to turn the Warriors around like Mark did.

This isn't a Mark vs Kerr thing. I don't know who is better, but Kerr being successful does not discredit what type of coach Mark is.

Jackson didn't run any offensive sets as he usually went with iso offense while using Curry. The one argument I'll support for Jackson is Curry had ankle issues through a good portion of Jackson's tenure. Also, I don't believe those Golden St. teams were particularly good at defense either. Say what you want about ownership and them not seeing eye to eye with Jackson. It clearly worked out and many on this forum were wrong.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember I was one of the very few guys that said Kerr is a much better coach than Jackson and that Kerr probably will get more out of this team than jackson. I remember I was told that we were maxed out by Jackson in terms of wins. Lol good times.

Yup. And I ate my crow while the Dubs won the title.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke should feel right at home sitting on the Lakers bench :-)

Great hire for the Lakers. I think this ends up being viewed as the best coaching hire of this off-season.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good hire for the Lakers for sure.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spent four years learning the game from a top college coach. Role player on a championship team. An assistant coach on a championship team. First time head coach with the Lakers after minimal experience. We've seen this before in none other than Pat Riley. That worked out pretty good.

Luke grew up learning about the game and life from Bill Walton. He also grew up as a pro learning about the game and life from Phil Jackson. Kerr raved about him. The GS players raved about him. A young, smart, modern thinking coach with the chance to grow up as a head coach with a young squad plus whatever else they can add this summer.

It's a great hire. Plenty to be determined though. First off being his ability to lure the free agents. I don't think that will be a problem. He's very likable. Also curious to see how the coaching staff fills out. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much effort can be put into that until the GS season is over, which could be awhile.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll bring in a system based on the roster he has, that alone already makes him the best coach the Lakers have had since Phil Jackson, no matter the results.

I'm kind of surprised the Lakers actually got him, although now with Kobe's retirement the Lakers really are a blank slate of young talent waiting to be molded. Must be a much more attractive destination for coaches.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a great hire and a nice change, but I would caution everyone to not set their expectations too high. It is going to be different for Luke Walton choosing his own staff, developing his own system, plays and everything on his own opposed to maintaining the existing system for the man. Think of Kerr as the president of the team and Luke Walton as the vice-pres. The job of the vice-pres is to take over the job of the vice in his absence and that means executing his dream - not yours.

That being said - I like this new hire and I do believe Luke Walton will work out

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson didn't run any offensive sets as he usually went with iso offense while using Curry. The one argument I'll support for Jackson is Curry had ankle issues through a good portion of Jackson's tenure. Also, I don't believe those Golden St. teams were particularly good at defense either. Say what you want about ownership and them not seeing eye to eye with Jackson. It clearly worked out and many on this forum were wrong.

Once again, just because something worked out, doesn't mean you were wrong.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, just because something worked out, doesn't mean you were wrong.
Honestly - I think the Warriors made the right choice when they hired Kerr - they got the championship they wanted and might be back there again. The Warriors may have won in spite of Jackson - not because of Jackson - Big difference there if that was the case

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke should feel right at home sitting on the Lakers bench :-)

Great hire for the Lakers. I think this ends up being viewed as the best coaching hire of this off-season.
He should - he sat there year after year as a player when he couldn't play

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should eventually top everyone on this list not named Riley.

Per our great @ESPNStatsInfo crew, Luke Walton will be the eighth former Lakers player to go on to coach the team:

ChQhFCwUgAAARWU.jpg