• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lots of Ram News.....

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

They have the depth because they draft better- period.

And because they draft well, even when they miss like the Hawks with Curry, they have replacements to step in. The Rams don't draft as well, so when they miss, it's more glaring ( ie still no #1 WR because they took Quick over Jeffries ).

They had to trade a 6th and 7th to get Stacy because they missed on Pead. You can say all you want about them being low picks, but the fact is it provides depth on your roster and if you get lucky, starters.
This has little to do with the current leadership in Rams camp.

We need to understand their long term plan.

The Seahawks leadership has been in place since 2010 and took over a club not nearly in the same mess as the current leadership of the Rams had to deal with.

The GM for the 9ers has been building his roster since 2005, so lets cut these guys a break.

This is the start of their third season together.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was comparing their free agent signings to ours. Because they are in our division, they are our opponents. We have to defeat them in order to get to the promiss land.

Repeat after me...they sign guys and win.....we don't sign guys and we lose. Pretty simple !!

you're twisting the truth to benefit your point.

Better use of words........They supplement players to fill holes on their already awesome team.

The Rams (unfortunately) are not there yet.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad we didn't overpay for Byrd.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if fisher gets his Olineman not in the 1st round, why would he overpay for Saffold?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy Watkins fanboys should be worried atm

Why? We're not taking a guard at #2 overall or at #13. Pretty sure that we can find a guard.

mikey728

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? We're not taking a guard at #2 overall or at #13. Pretty sure that we can find a guard.

Agree 327%, SJ...Needing a guard(s) has no bearing on the 2 pick..I think #2 is Watkins or they trade down..I would love a #1 receiver, but I'm guessing they will try and stockpile picks again...This time I hope they pull the trigger at #2

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zeke, I'm not trying to argue with you.

It sounds like you are to me.

Just answer me this, do you think we should build through the draft or free agency?
I'll guess it's through the draft.

Both...
I have been saying all along that you need leadership/experience to a certain degree. Bringing in a 21 year old kid every time takes time. You are an adult, I would think that you would understand this. There are also ways of doing it without overspending. Boy I wish I had a dime for every time I heard Jacob say after Jeff Fisher was hired " You guys just wait, in 3 years we will be in the playoffs!" Good thing Jacobs not making the decisions here....:clap:

With that in mind, our roster is/was in greater shambles than both the Hawks and 9ers. They can afford to take risks because they have a solid foundation and can gamble with a big splash that can set them apart.

Every year I hear this. When does it stop?? Why don't you guys just come out and admit this is because of few guys absorbing all of our CAP $$? Snead overpaid Jake Long last year as well. Truth is: We have 6 guys taking up half of our salary CAP $$. I don't think any of the 6 has ever seen a pro bowl.

In shambles?? We won 7 games last year. IMO we are only a couple of pieces away of being competitive. Plus next year we can dump Bradford/C.Long massive contracts. IMO we are slowly climbing out of the crapper.

You have to look at what they(49ers/Hawks) do, they are active in every aspect (draft, free agency, trading, no MASSIVE contracts). That is why they are winners. Why don't you guys just come out and admit it??

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

They have the depth because they draft better- period.

And because they draft well, even when they miss like the Hawks with Curry, they have replacements to step in. The Rams don't draft as well, so when they miss, it's more glaring ( ie still no #1 WR because they took Quick over Jeffries ).

They had to trade a 6th and 7th to get Stacy because they missed on Pead. You can say all you want about them being low picks, but the fact is it provides depth on your roster and if you get lucky, starters.

They have depth because of moves like this....

Dolphins | To receive 7th-round pick for Jonathan Martin - NFL Hot off the Wire

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most free agents are over paid for. Great teams don't often fill major holes in free agency, they scoop up the 2nd tier FA so a more fair deal after the top tier guys get bid on and bought up very quickly at high prices.

I agree, lets all hope that is the case here. There are ways to improve your team without overspending. All of our problems cant be helped with just the draft.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought everyone here thought Martin was a cancer? It seemed I was nearly the only one that thought he deserved a fresh start elsewhere?

I guess it all depends on how much you have to give up for him. Bringing in a guy like this for a 7th rd conditional pick is to me is well worth the risk. He was a starter less than a year ago. Just goes to show you dont have to overspend to get talent. Time will tell.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it all depends on how much you have to give up for him. Bringing in a guy like this for a 7th rd conditional pick is to me is well worth the risk. He was a starter less than a year ago. Just goes to show you dont have to overspend to get talent. Time will tell.

I would've given more than a 7th for him. I wonder how much the Dolphins shopped him to settle for a conditional 7th.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zeke, I'm not trying to argue with you.
It sounds like you are to me.

Well I'm not, just not sure how you are seeing things.

Who would you have liked us to go after in day one of free agency?

We have just over $12M of cap space and we need about $5.5M to sign rookies so that leaves us about $6.5M unless you are going to make cuts to free up some more cap space.

Here is a cap calculator, it's pretty cool!

Salary Cap Calculator - Over the Cap

Just answer me this, do you think we should build through the draft or free agency?
I'll guess it's through the draft.
Both...
I have been saying all along that you need leadership/experience to a certain degree. Bringing in a 21 year old kid every time takes time. You are an adult, I would think that you would understand this. There are also ways of doing it without overspending. Boy I wish I had a dime for every time I heard Jacob say after Jeff Fisher was hired " You guys just wait, in 3 years we will be in the playoffs!" Good thing Jacobs not making the decisions here....:clap:

Just so you know, I'm not conceding the season just yet, however maybe jaco is right and we make the playoffs in year three of Fisher's tenure. Fisher is merely a half a game out from winning as many games as his two predecessors combined over the previous 5 years! Considering where we were and the complete turnover of the roster outside of Sam, Chris and James from just two seasons ago you're right, we will most likely have the youngest roster in the NFL for three years running.

You know another team who was in this position just a few years ago say 2009? Yep the SF 49ers! They built their roster through the draft and it took them several years but in 2011 things started looking up for them and in 2012 they made the Superbowl!

With that in mind, our roster is/was in greater shambles than both the Hawks and 9ers. They can afford to take risks because they have a solid foundation and can gamble with a big splash that can set them apart.
Every year I hear this. When does it stop??

It stopped when we fired Spags and Devaney.

Why don't you guys just come out and admit this is because of few guys absorbing all of our CAP $$? Snead overpaid Jake Long last year as well. Truth is: We have 6 guys taking up half of our salary CAP $$. I don't think any of the 6 has ever seen a pro bowl.

zeke which is it? Do you want them to go after free agents or not? You're a bit confusing when you talk of overspending in one breath and then in another about not keeping up with the big splashes of our division foes.

Oh and I already admitted it was due to a few guys using a lot of cap space when I posted this earlier in the thread...
We were limited with the Bradford & Finnegan contracts and some dead money from prior years (Cough, cough Jason Smith).

In shambles?? We won 7 games last year. IMO we are only a couple of pieces away of being competitive. Plus next year we can dump Bradford/C.Long massive contracts. IMO we are slowly climbing out of the crapper.
I was speaking on our club Pre Fisher/Snead. But if you want to talk about those couple of pieces we need to be competitive fill us all in. If your talking about dumping Sam and Chris' contracts, nothing like that will happen until the 2015 and if we were to cut them both it would only add $21M in cap space but we still would need to sign a starting QB and a starting DE.

You have to look at what they(49ers/Hawks) do
they are active in every aspect (draft, free agency, trading, no MASSIVE contracts). That is why they are winners. Why don't you guys just come out and admit it??
If you look at what the 49er did when they were bad like we were prior to Jeff/Snead you'll see they built through the draft.

The Seahawks always maintained a decent core of professional football players and have drafted well too, prior to Pete coming over, they just lacked leadership at the QB and HC spots.

Those two clubs are just a few steps ahead of us but the 49ers are poised for a decline soon! The payday for Kaep is coming real soon and then so will Wilson's after that. Those will factor in just as ours will with Quinn. Overall it will limit their flexibility they have with their rosters right now. If we find a stud QB in the next year or two (Marriota, Hundly, Winston) we will be in great shape in the near term, in part because we haven't back loaded contracts so we wont have dead money issues. To make that big splash to keep up with the Jones would require us to back load a get free agent and that goes against the plan the Rams are implementing.

Be patient Rams' fan! These Rams are just now stating to develop into a young veteran club and will soon move slightly away from that youngest roster in the NFL tag. I Imagine our roster will soon only include fast young veterans flying all over the field! :yahoo:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've given more than a 7th for him. I wonder how much the Dolphins shopped him to settle for a conditional 7th.
I wouldn't! The Dolphins were lucky to get a 7th for him. Who cares about his so, so talent even for depth issues. Dude is a backstabber. I'm very glad he went to the 49ers, maybe he can f that team up from the inside out.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Vita on this 1. Only reason SF was willing to take him was because he play for Harbaugh in college.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me in too Vita. All of your points are excellent. I like that we didn't bite on any of these overpriced players who have exaggerated opinions of their worth. I would have liked to have seen Byrd in a Rams uni but not for what eventually got by some old white dude with way too much money. Your cap numbers are absolutely dead on. AFter the rooks get taken care of we don't have a whole lot of extra cash and we are down to Wells being the only legit dude to be let go and Fisher apparently is keeping him another year.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davin Joseph is visiting the Rams today.... fingers crossed!!

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that the Rams haven't exactly set the league on fire with their FA signings the last few years, can we really blame them for being rather passive in this area? Of course there is the possibility that they are a bit too passive at this point, but it's only day two. Wisdom and experience would suggest that there will inevitably be teams that are going to have buyers remorse after the smoke clears and they discovered they over-paid, which seems to be a contagious disease in the NFL these days.

All this just strengthens my belief that because of the salary cap issues we have, and the huge $$$ we have to spend to keep Bradford in diapers, we're going to be trading down quite a bit in the upcoming draft. We have too many holes to fill, and not enough money to fill them through FA. Alas, the rookie salary cap will allow us to do just that if we can accumulate enough picks. That means more "good" players, and no impact players again this year in the draft.