• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lots of Ram News.....

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so fast zeke.

From your link...
It looks like we are trying to build our team through the draft.

I thought that's what most Rams fans wanted them to do.

Not you? :noidea:

I was hoping that we would at least bring in 2 big names through free agency, but it sounds as though we will be just sitting on our hands as we usually do this time of year. We need some experience/ leadership on this team!!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping that we would at least bring in 2 big names through free agency, but it sounds as though we will be just sitting on our hands as we usually do this time of year. We need some experience/ leadership on this team!!

Rams haven't exactly sat on their hands in free agency under Fisher though.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

2012Free Agent Signings
$$ Cortland Finnegan, CB (From Tennessee Titans)
$$ Scott Wells, C (From Green Bay Packers)
$$ Kendall Langford, DL (From Miami Dolphins)
Steve Smith, WR (From Philadelphia Eagles)
Matthew Mulligan, TE (From New York Jets)
Jo-Lonn Dunbar, LB (From New Orleans Saints)

2013 Free Agent Signings
$$ Jake Long LT (From Miami Dolphins)
$$ Jared Cook, TE (From Tennessee Titans)
Kellen Clemens QB - (Re-signed by Rams)
Jeremelle Cudjo DL - (Re-signed by Rams)
William Hayes OL - (Re-signed by Rams)
Chris Williams OL - (Re-signed by Rams)

That's 5 big splashes in 2 years! Were all hits, no and that's why it is best to build your roster through the draft, especially with the rookie wage scale.

Last edited by a moderator:

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2012Free Agent Signings
$$ Cortland Finnegan, CB (From Tennessee Titans)
$$ Scott Wells, C (From Green Bay Packers)
$$ Kendall Langford, DL (From Miami Dolphins)
Steve Smith, WR (From Philadelphia Eagles)
Matthew Mulligan, TE (From New York Jets)
Jo-Lonn Dunbar, LB (From New Orleans Saints)

2013 Free Agent Signings
$$ Jake Long LT (From Miami Dolphins)
$$ Jared Cook, TE (From Tennessee Titans)
Kellen Clemens QB - (Re-signed by Rams)
Jeremelle Cudjo DL - (Re-signed by Rams)
William Hayes OL - (Re-signed by Rams)
Chris Williams OL - (Re-signed by Rams)

That's 5 big splashes in 2 years! Were all hits, no and that's why it is best to build your roster through the draft, especially with the rookie wage scale.

3 in 2012 and 2 in 2013 is something, but how did we do compared to the 49ers and Seahawks??

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you are correct, from the short time that Fisher and Snead have been here they are trying to make something happen.With the exception of 2012 we havent been that agressive.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are correct, from the short time that Fisher and Snead have been here they are trying to make something happen.With the exception of 2012 we havent been that agressive.

Jake Long and Jared Cook wasn't aggressive? They signed Cook quickly, and had Long in immediately (although the signing took days).

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 in 2012 and 2 in 2013 is something, but how did we do compared to the 49ers and Seahawks??
We were limited with the Bradford & Finnegan contracts and some dead money from prior years (Cough, cough Jason Smith).

Demoff and Snead are moving towards a pay as you go philosophy too. They went from the top of the league in dead money (bad) just a few years ago to the bottom of the league this year (Good!).

Tie this along with renewing both Long & Laurinaitis and I think they done well considering the plan and existing contract situations.

Change doesn't just happen, its usually uncomfortable during the process but if you were happy with the outcome prior to Snead/Fisher (And I know you weren't) it's a fundamental requirement and there will be some growing pains along the way.

Oh and to answer your question, both the Seahawks and 9ers rosters didn't need to be turned over completely. So they both could afford to take a swing and miss in free agency. So it's a different situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Long and Jared Cook wasn't aggressive? They signed Cook quickly, and had Long in immediately (although the signing took days).

...again ....what did the rest of the division do?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...again ....what did the rest of the division do?
zeke, did we contend for the division or play in the Superbowl in the 2012 season?

How about the playoffs, did we even make the playoffs?

Do you see a difference here?

As much as it pains me to say it, you're comparing apples to oranges at this point Rams' fan!

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zeke, did we contend for the division or play in the Superbowl in the 2012 season?

As much as it pains me to say it, you're comparing apples to oranges at this point Rams' fan!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 2 team needs (FS, G) currently not addressed. Sammy Watkins fanboys should be worried atm

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was comparing their free agent signings to ours. Because they are in our division, they are our opponents. We have to defeat them in order to get to the promiss land.

Repeat after me...they sign guys and win.....we don't sign guys and we lose. Pretty simple !!

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was comparing their free agent signings to ours. Because they are in our division, they are our opponents. We have to defeat them in order to get to the promiss land.

Repeat after me...they sign guys and win.....we don't sign guys and we lose. Pretty simple !!

or we sign guys and still lose :lol:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

zeke, I'm not trying to argue with you. Just answer me this, do you think we should build through the draft or free agency?

I'll guess it's through the draft.

With that in mind, our roster is/was in greater shambles than both the Hawks and 9ers. They can afford to take risks because they have a solid foundation and can gamble with a big splash that can set them apart. The Rams however must depend on these free agents to fill holes. That is a big difference and why I pointed out the current status of the three clubs and where they each stand amongst the league.

Those misses or overpays if you will take a much bigger toll on our club because they leave glaring holes at key positions. Where the other two have the depth to hide the misses in free agency.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand where Zeke is coming from.

In 2010, the Rams and Hawks were both 7-9, the 9ers were 6-10 and the Cards were 5-11.

Since then, the 9ers and Hawks have been to the SB and playoff participants while the Rams have been buried at the bottom of the division ( with the Cards even overtaking them ).

FA isn't the only solution of course. Drafting has been HUGE for the 9ers and Hawks. They both have found pro bowlers late in the draft, found their QB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and when they have missed on a player ( Curry ), they have been able to recover because they found gems later in the drafts.

Meanwhile, the Rams are still waiting on Bradford and haven't drafted any young QB's to push him or maybe even surpass him. They completely whiffed on two 2nd round picks ( Quick and Pead ) and are still looking for a #1 WR but found a gem in Stacy.

Yes, the Rams had some housecleaning to do, but so did they. So, it's not like the Rams were alone in that department. But the 9ers and Hawks have just been better overall building their teams whether it is FA or the draft.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zeke, I'm not trying to argue with you. Just answer me this, do you think we should build through the draft or free agency?

I'll guess it's through the draft.

With that in mind, our roster is/was in greater shambles than both the Hawks and 9ers. They can afford to take risks because they have a solid foundation and can gamble with a big splash that can set them apart. The Rams however must depend on these free agents to fill holes. That is a big difference and why I pointed out the current status of the three clubs and where they each stand amongst the league.

Those misses or overpays if you will take a much bigger toll on our club because they leave glaring holes at key positions. Where the other two have the depth to hide the misses in free agency.

They have the depth because they draft better- period.

And because they draft well, even when they miss like the Hawks with Curry, they have replacements to step in. The Rams don't draft as well, so when they miss, it's more glaring ( ie still no #1 WR because they took Quick over Jeffries ).

They had to trade a 6th and 7th to get Stacy because they missed on Pead. You can say all you want about them being low picks, but the fact is it provides depth on your roster and if you get lucky, starters.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most free agents are over paid for. Great teams don't often fill major holes in free agency, they scoop up the 2nd tier FA so a more fair deal after the top tier guys get bid on and bought up very quickly at high prices.