• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looney

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Has anyone watched the replay on that play where Looney went low on Williams? I haven't seen it since the initial replay during the game. At the time it looked dirty, and I guess the Vikings are going to send the video into the league office for reveiw...

The only thing I could find about it (other than the Vikings sending the video in) was a semi neutral blog from ESPN-

Another look at Joe Looney's low block - NFC West Blog - ESPN

I didn't like the block and thought Looney could have made an effective block if he had blocked high instead of low. But the other thing that bothered me was Jared Allen's comments about it. Allen has had so many dirty plays over his career that I don't think he has any room to be calling out another player on national TV for play he "heard was dirty"...

But its unfortunate Looney went low in the first place...

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't like the block but considering that he's a young guy with limited NFL action I don't think his intention was to throw a dirty block his way.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My first impression - and I hadn't seen the entire replay - was that he basically fell into the leg. Upon watching it a couple more times, that's not what happened. He straight went for the knee. Really hard to explain. Dirty, dirty move. I'm all about being physical between the whistles, but I didn't like that one bit.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On the slow motion replay he went for his knee. Didn't see it in real time from the replay angle, but my initial impression was one of two things:
1. He purposely went for his knee and tried to disguise it as an accident.
2. He caught a glimpse of the guy running right behind him and it was a flash instinct/repetition thing that kicked in to chop block the guy.
Either way I don't like it at all, and expect retaliation from the Vikings the next time they play if he doesn't properly address this like right now and try to straighten things out. Terrible way to build a reputation.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My first impression - and I hadn't seen the entire replay - was that he basically fell into the leg. Upon watching it a couple more times, that's not what happened. He straight went for the knee. Really hard to explain. Dirty, dirty move. I'm all about being physical between the whistles, but I didn't like that one bit.

Ok, I had just read the article in the attached link, and it seemed to suggest that the run was headed his way and went to cut off Williams but went to low...

I was just curious if anyone else had noticed that or not. But it sounds like it was just as dirty either way, to you...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO it was dirty, it looked intentional.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad block but he is young. If it was from one of our vets or starting guys I would be pissed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is jared allen a dirty player? looney should be suspended as long as williams is out. at the very least he should get fined. don't hate the 49ers or anything like that.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the block but considering that he's a young guy with limited NFL action I don't think his intention was to throw a dirty block his way.

NFL experience means nothing. When you are in the open field you do not blind side a guys knee. You learn that in Pee Wee.

Just a stupid choice by that guy, just dumb.

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didn't like the block and thought Looney could have made an effective block if he had blocked high instead of low. But the other thing that bothered me was Jared Allen's comments about it. Allen has had so many dirty plays over his career that I don't think he has any room to be calling out another player on national TV for play he "heard was dirty"...

How can anyone take anything Jared Allen says with any level of credibility. He is one of the most class-less players in the league. This is a guy who wins the Derrick Thomas award while playing for Kansas City and wears one of those tuxedo t-shirts to the ceremony, meanwhile the award is supposed to be the highest honor for the KC franchise. Not to mention he wears # 69. Come on dude, this isn't high school, that number isn't cool anymore, its a pathetic cliche.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
how is jared allen a dirty player? looney should be suspended as long as williams is out. at the very least he should get fined. don't hate the 49ers or anything like that.

He deserves to get at least a fine for that. Putting some guy's career at risk in the preseason like that is absurd. Goldson had a really hard hit on a TE's knee on a pass over the middle last year that I thought was complete BS. He didn't have to go low and put that guy's career at risk. This is where the game is going after the concussion rules. I'd seriously rather see a guy get hit hard in the head than a shot on the knee especially with the advancements with helmet technology. Hitting some defenseless player hard on the knee is probably the dirtiest move you can do in sports.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Williams has a hyperextended knee, Bone bruise, and Posterior Capsular Strain according to Ian Rapoport.
No ligament damage thankfully.

Last edited by a moderator:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush league move by Looney. He hasn't proven anything to me so far and this only looks bad on him.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Lance Louis? Matt Schaub? Aaron Rodgers? Jay Cutler? These are all notable players that Allen has taken cheap shots at (and thats only the notable ones). Rodgers and Cutler blows to the head, Schaub takes a lunging shot to the knee and Louis takes a defenseless leaping helmet shot from Allen with clear intention to hurt Louis...

He was also recently voted #10 dirtiest player by SI in their player polls...

I agree that Looney was stupid and showed no class by hitting Williams low. But if you are calling for Looney to be suspended, then I think its only fair that you call for Allen to be suspended as well. Including taking Lance Louis out for the season with his dirty hit, I don't think we would see Allen for a while...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
speaking of Looney aside from that play, is he playing well? since there hasn't been a positive write up (yet), tend to think no? from watching our #2 O-line play, tend to think no?

he was at Center yesterday.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like the block at all, and I don't appreciate the bad publicity that he brought to this organization.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update-

The NFL said Looney's block was legal, and no action will be taken against him (taken from the attached article about Williams hyper-extended knee)...

That doesn't mean he won't be targeted in retaliation. After all, the NFL is a 'what goes around, comes around' league...

I figured for sure Looney was at least going to get a fine and probably should be suspended for deliberately trying to injure another player, but the NFL decides that this block was legal? I was under the impression that the peel back block rule was to cover this exact situation? I guess not.

I agree with you, though AC, he better watch his own knees from here on out.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3