• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looney

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That doesn't mean he won't be targeted in retaliation. After all, the NFL is a 'what goes around, comes around' league...

Good. Let teams waster their time figuring out where he's gonna be on special teams or whatever because he won't be playing OL without a couple of injuries.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Looney on block of Kevin Williams -- Not a dirty player

San Francisco 49ers guard Joe Looney said Monday he wasn't trying to intentionally injure Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams with his low block Sunday night, saying he "didn't try to take a dirty, cheap shot at him."

"I tried to find him after the game to apologize, to let him know I'm not that kind of player who's trying to hurt guys and maliciously take violent hits at people," Looney said Monday, according to CSNBayArea.com. "I've been injured myself. I know what it's like."

The NFL reviewed the play and determined the block was not illegal. The Vikings registered a complaint and said Looney should be subject to discipline for the block, which resulted in a hyperextended knee, bone bruise and postular capsular strain for Williams.

An MRI, however, showed that Williams avoided ligament damage. His MRI is being forwarded to Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion.

An NFL spokesman said Dean Blandino, the league's vice president of officiating, determined Looney's block was legal under the rules and was not a violation of a new rule on peel-back blocks.

The 22-year-old Looney, who was picked by the 49ers in the fourth round of the 2012 draft, said he was "just trying to finish my block."

"I'm not out on the field trying to hurt anybody. I hope Kevin is all right," Looney said, according to the website. "I was just trying to do what I was coached, and play 100 percent to the whistle. I'm just trying to make the football team."

Williams walked off the field on his own after the block from Looney, a play that Vikings defensive end Jared Allen called dirty during a TV interview. Williams said he was unhappy that Looney went low on him, but he told reporters he could not say if the play was improper until he watched it on video.

"I was just upset that I'm getting cut 11 years in [the NFL] from a guy who I don't even know," Williams said Sunday, according to the Star Tribune. "I figure between the pain and the fact he cut me when I wasn't looking was my reaction."

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he was intending to hurt. I don't even think it was really a cheap move. He wasn't aware that the play was practically over because he was focused on his block than the ball carrier. LMJ didn't get tackled, Williams would have looked forward and would have prepared for the chop block.

IMO, it was just an unfortunate chop block that looked like a cheap shot.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looney said he was just trying to finish his block? i'd like to see him benched for the next game. i think the niners organization needs to let people realize we don't stand for stuff like this.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see it live, but watching the replay, it seemed to me Looney was going low, and at least to me it seemed he actually tried to hold up, but that he just fell in front of Williams. I mean, after he fell he just kinda stood there are all fours kinda of awkwardly. It didn't seem intentional to me at all. I'd like to see it from another angle.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see it live, but watching the replay, it seemed to me Looney was going low, and at least to me it seemed he actually tried to hold up, but that he just fell in front of Williams. I mean, after he fell he just kinda stood there are all fours kinda of awkwardly. It didn't seem intentional to me at all. I'd like to see it from another angle.

it looked like he was tired and needed a nap. then seen williams coming and went for the knee.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it looked like he was tired and needed a nap. then seen williams coming and went for the knee.

To me it looked like he was just surprised when Williams changed course, and he wasn't sure exactly what to do.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think the chop block should be banned for both sides of ball anywhere on the field. A ball carrier position have as many injuries as a chop block has, it would definitely be outlawed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nfpx2_1xsw]Joe Don Looney NFL- - YouTube[/ame]

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it looked like he was just surprised when Williams changed course, and he wasn't sure exactly what to do.

When I watched the play it looked to me like he was looking at the runner right when LMJ started to cut back. Then before he changed and held course he turned his head back to block. So I think he thought LMJ was cutting the run back. That being said, whether or not he intended to do harm that was a Bush League move by Looney. Being that Williams wasn't even looking he could have plowed him just as easily it would seem.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance Louis? Matt Schaub? Aaron Rodgers? Jay Cutler? These are all notable players that Allen has taken cheap shots at (and thats only the notable ones). Rodgers and Cutler blows to the head, Schaub takes a lunging shot to the knee and Louis takes a defenseless leaping helmet shot from Allen with clear intention to hurt Louis...

He was also recently voted #10 dirtiest player by SI in their player polls...

I agree that Looney was stupid and showed no class by hitting Williams low. But if you are calling for Looney to be suspended, then I think its only fair that you call for Allen to be suspended as well. Including taking Lance Louis out for the season with his dirty hit, I don't think we would see Allen for a while...

Jared Allen upset NFL didn't fine guard Joe Looney