• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like Cutler will be staying..

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season was proof that Trestman doesn't know jack shit about pro football. Throwing it 50 times a game, while all but ignoring Forte, is just dumb. Plain and simple, and I don't care who your QB or receivers are.

That will not happen with Fox IMO. They will get back to smash mouth football on both sides of the ball.

Cutler averaged 37 attempts per game last season. Thats not excessive- especially when you consider how often they played from behind. The poor run game management was really compromising, IMO. Forte was 5th in the league in individual carries. As a team, they were 30th. Thats terrible. Too much of the same thing from the same player. Not only did that hurt Fortes YPC, it contributed significantly towards the predictable offense we saw.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay was 2nd on the team in carries and rush yards. Kadeem who??? LOL :)

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay was 2nd on the team in carries and rush yards. Kadeem who??? LOL :)

That is sad he wasn't utilized more, I liked the way he ran when they actually handed the ball to this kid.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is sad he wasn't utilized more, I liked the way he ran when they actually handed the ball to this kid.

Kadeem had just 36 touches last season. As I said, the Bears as a team were 30th in carries.

C

cubzzzfanincali

not disputing that the run/pass balance wasn't off, because it was, and not disputing that it didn't hurt us, because it did.

However, in and of itself I don't think that had to kill us. The Colts, for example, passed at almost as high a rate as we did, had a middle-of-the-road defense, and almost made the Super Bowl.

I think the biggest separator between us and, say, the Colts boiled down to what TYPE of passing game each of us had. Indianapolis was 5th in the league in yards per completion, and we were 31st. They were 3rd in first downs and scored touchdowns early. We fell behind early all season, which forced us to pass. That was on both sides of the ball, offense and defense both deserve that blame. The only reason I blame the offense more is because that's where the Bears $$ was.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you wanted me to take 7 step drops behind 5 turnstiles, eventually Id echo that phrase- in spades :)

Well then he ought of been cussing the linemen out then.

Sometimes its not the coach........

And when jay fucks up,should Tice of been down his throat......The whole team should rip him a new ass.

Jay is faaaaaaarrrrr from being error prone.

He should shut the fuck up and listen. :2cents:

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then he ought of been cussing the linemen out then.

Sometimes its not the coach........

And when jay fucks up,should Tice of been down his throat......The whole team should rip him a new ass.

Jay is faaaaaaarrrrr from being error prone.

He should shut the fuck up and listen. :2cents:

J'Marcus Webb does come to mind...

The tone of my reply was mostly tongue in cheek, but I do maintain that Martz's system put Cutler at a severe disadvantage. Below average linemen and marginal WRs were employed in a system where the highest premium is placed on blocking and route running. Thats called not having enough of said personnel to adequately execute the 2 core functions of his offense. Thats really not a QB issue.

IOW- a polite letter to Martz may go something like this:

Dear Mike,

If you want me to take seven step drops, and not have TE's to throw to, please get me linemen and TE's that can not only block, but hold those blocks long enough so I can find an open target. Since TE's are viewed as the lowest pass catching priority in your offense, I will have 2 less downfield options on most plays so theyll have to hold those blocks a little longer when Im trying to stretch the field with our speedy, pint size WR targets. Speaking of WR targets, in your offense its the WRs responsibility to get to the spot on the field to where Im throwing the ball. Ill also need route runners who can execute that requirement better than the two WRs youre expecting to be top producers- Hester and Knox.

XOXOXOX,

Cutty

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J'Marcus Webb does come to mind...

The tone of my reply was mostly tongue in cheek, but I do maintain that Martz's system put Cutler at a severe disadvantage. Below average linemen and marginal WRs were employed in a system where the highest premium is placed on blocking and route running. Thats called not having enough of said personnel to adequately execute the 2 core functions of his offense. Thats really not a QB issue.

IOW- a polite letter to Martz may go something like this:

Dear Mike,

If you want me to take seven step drops, and not have TE's to throw to, please get me linemen and TE's that can not only block, but hold those blocks long enough so I can find an open target. Since TE's are viewed as the lowest pass catching priority in your offense, I will have 2 less downfield options on most plays so theyll have to hold those blocks a little longer when Im trying to stretch the field with our speedy, pint size WR targets. Speaking of WR targets, in your offense its the WRs responsibility to get to the spot on the field to where Im throwing the ball. Ill also need route runners who can execute that requirement better than the two WRs youre expecting to be top producers- Hester and Knox.

XOXOXOX,

Cutty

I remember the Webb series vs Detroit a couple of years ago.........Jay jumped down his throat cause of a sack or holding call.Next play Jay fumbles the ball away.............Taken out of fg range when we were fighting for playoff position.
he had no one to blame but himself.......The whole offense should have jumped down his throat for that.

And I don`t see where it was Tice`s fault we had inadequate offensive weapons that year............If Jay wanted to be a dick to someone,he should`ve seeked out the front office for hiring such incompetent players.(the real guys running the show).

C

cubzzzfanincali

The personnel Martz had to work with wasn't Martz's doing. It was Jerry Angelo's. If Cutler should have been telling anyone to fuck off, it was Jerry, not Mike.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the Webb series vs Detroit a couple of years ago.........Jay jumped down his throat cause of a sack or holding call.Next play Jay fumbles the ball away.............Taken out of fg range when we were fighting for playoff position.
he had no one to blame but himself.......The whole offense should have jumped down his throat for that.

And I don`t see where it was Tice`s fault we had inadequate offensive weapons that year............If Jay wanted to be a dick to someone,he should`ve seeked out the front office for hiring such incompetent players.(the real guys running the show).

Wow, you seem to be forgetting the times Jay got happy feet and was throwing early when nobody was around him yet. Jay got his big receivers, guys that stop, jump, catch, get hammered. Still no playoffs. Only constant is Jay.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The personnel Martz had to work with wasn't Martz's doing. It was Jerry Angelo's. If Cutler should have been telling anyone to fuck off, it was Jerry, not Mike.

I dont disagree, but the point remains unchanged. The Bears were quite weak at those key positions that had to execute what was required for Martz's offense to work. During the Martz years, it was pretty much Cutler and Forte.

C

cubzzzfanincali

you know, the thing is, Cutler's skill set is actually best served by a 7-step drop. He has the arm for a longer, more downfield game. That's precisely where his advantage is over other quarterbacks. The fact that he is getting used as a precision thrower instead is not helping him. This is what makes the entire situation sad. I hear what you are saying...Martz kept with slowly-developing plays longer than he should have. But at one very real level, he was simply trying to use his best asset for his primary strength.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I don`t see where it was Tice`s fault we had inadequate offensive weapons that year............If Jay wanted to be a dick to someone,he should`ve seeked out the front office for hiring such incompetent players.(the real guys running the show).[/QUOTE

I apologize for not doing a better job of separating whats tongue in cheek(telling a coach to eff off) from an honest reply(how Martz's system put Cutler at a disadvantage). Perhaps then you wouldnt reply with items that I never mentioned, or even disagree with.

Tice isnt creative enough to be an OC, IMO. Hes another topic, though

Martz's system worked in STL because he had more talented blockers and WRs that were a just little bit better than Knox and Hester. Again, its not a QB thing because his system charges the linemen and WR's with a lot more responsibility. If those responsibilities arent carried out, its going to look like the QB is at fault for more that goes wrong than he really is.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize for not doing a better job of separating whats tongue in cheek(telling a coach to eff off) from an honest reply(how Martz's system put Cutler at a disadvantage). Perhaps then you wouldnt reply with items that I never mentioned, or even disagree with.

Tice isnt creative enough to be an OC, IMO. Hes another topic, though

Martz's system worked in STL because he had more talented blockers and WRs that were a just little bit better than Knox and Hester. Again, its not a QB thing because his system charges the linemen and WR's with a lot more responsibility. If those responsibilities arent carried out, its going to look like the QB is at fault for more that goes wrong than he really is.

My problem is that it seemed like every single time it was the wide receivers fault. Jay never (hardly ever) did that common point to his self to tell the receiver it was his mistake. That "that is on me" you see from elite quarterbacks. When Marshall continually took all the responsibility for his friend, best buddy, BFF, every thing was fine between Jay and Brandon. Inseparable. But as soon as Marshall was thrown under the bus for one particular play, he didnt meet with the media after the game as usual, he quietly left and stewed since he considered it was not his fault, everything changed at that point and Brandon was back to a clubhouse cancer for calling out a team that just flat out were playing with no heart and not being behind his quarterback.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know, the thing is, Cutler's skill set is actually best served by a 7-step drop. He has the arm for a longer, more downfield game. That's precisely where his advantage is over other quarterbacks. The fact that he is getting used as a precision thrower instead is not helping him. This is what makes the entire situation sad. I hear what you are saying...Martz kept with slowly-developing plays longer than he should have. But at one very real level, he was simply trying to use his best asset for his primary strength.

Agree 1000% on the underlined. I get the rest of what youre saying. Keeping the 2 TE's on the LOS to block meant there were only two targets that had to fight with the back seven to get open, or get over the top of the defense. He banked on the speed element of Hester and Knox to do that, but their marginally route running was often compromising, and the line all too often couldnt hold the blocks long enough for the play to be executed. Forte was the only other player Cutler trusted on offense. Along with quality defenses, the two of them did just enough on offense to help win.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different coaches, same problem
Different system, same problem
Different linemen, same problem
Different receivers, same problem

Here we go blaming everybody else for the problems again.

Hard to argue that the bears had the best one of the best receiver combinations in the NFL last year, he lived by dumping the ball to the running back.

Most completions, most pass attempts, most yards as a bear, 5-10 record. only constant is you will guarantee one interception per game.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Dude, I am with you on Cutler being the problem. I think I spilled enough digital ink on it this offseason that you believe me when I say I basically agree with you, and I think retaining him only pushes our day of turning the team into a legitimate Super Bowl contender again further into the future.

But you know what? There isn't shit we can do about it now. He's here, and probably for 2016 also. Unless he has some kind of sudden weird early 30's decision-making growth...the kind we have kept thinking every new set of coaches and offensive philosophies might magically induce but hasn't....we are going to have to endure the same painful combination of amazing potential with gut-wrenching mistake-making.

I'm just hoping that we get to see some good new young talent developed, to see some promise for the future. This feels exactly like 2011 did to me with regards to the Cubs, I mean..it is eerily similar. Here's hoping the promise which seems to about to finally pay off for the Cubs somewhat this year materializes, and we see the same thing with the new young Bears come 2018 or so.

And by the way....let's please extend Alshon Jeffery already.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most completions, most pass attempts, most yards as a bear, 5-10 record. only constant is... a terrible defense, injuries to key players, awful coaching decisions, bad draft picks... did I mention the bad defense?
This is NOT all on Jay no matter how many times you try to make it so.

Or a constant of Mel Tucker? A Briggs/Tillman injury? A lack of 2nd Running back? A running game?
5-11 records are not only on the QB. Was Tampa bad just because of McCown? Has Jacksonville always been bad just because of the QB?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He told Martz to "Go fuck yourself"?

Another reason to hate the guy......

Are you kidding me?

Him saying that was met with nothing but praise from most people. Martz LITERALLY, almost got Cutler murdered in the first half of that 2011 season before finally being told by Lovie to make an adjustment with Cutler in his drops.

Ring any bells? Jay was lucky not to lose a limb in this game