• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like Cutler will be staying..

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not casting stones, but Pace was hired on January 9. His first order of business was finding a head coach, hiring Fox a week later on the 17th.

Then Pace had to not only evaluate the underperformers, but also consider the impending free agents available - all in the time-span of 52 days.

And as volcanic as the QB position has been, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that they really did their due-diligence. Not just on Jay, but on the whole team, free agents and maybe a few other players.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not casting stones, but Pace was hired on January 9. His first order of business was finding a head coach, hiring Fox a week later on the 17th.

Then Pace had to not only evaluate the underperformers, but also consider the impending free agents available - all in the time-span of 52 days.

And as volcanic as the QB position has been, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that they really did their due-diligence. Not just on Jay, but on the whole team, free agents and maybe a few other players.
I will always be called a hater, even when I credit Jay like I did last season, (once or twice) even while the guys drunk on the koolaid were switching sides. They committed to 54 million and three years, how all this saving money by cutting him or trading him came about I dont know. Save 10 million of 2016 money while 13 million is still in dead money for the next two seasons.

All the guaranteed money was in the first three years so they could cut him at any time after that.

But this Hiring John Fox, please. Pace was sitting in on the B List hires with Ernie. There were no significant new candidates after Pace was hired and John Fox was a coach placed right in his lap that basically told the bears he wanted to coach here. With only pace, who knows what coordinators we would have gotten, with Fox, we got two great coordinators. Sorry, but this first time GM that watched Mickey Loomis do Sean Paytons paperwork should still be watched closely.

What are we on the fourth or fifth set of coach and coordinator that will try to fix Jay Cutler. They watched the same film from cutler breaking his cherry in Denver that all the other coaches and coordinators watched who also thought they could fix him. The "smart decision maker" that Cutler has been called after finally giving public support is the guy we have seen not be able to locate single coverage and throws high and wide into double and triple coverage to keep Marshall happy.

Biggest worry, Cutler thinking he is gonna do what Manning did last year, call his own plays, run the offense at his pace. Second biggest worry, Fox and Gase trying too hard to show it wasnt all manning and we learn that a big part of it was PAy a ton. Lets just hope this shiny new GM has an exit strategy with cutler like Hundley in the third round.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to stop doing this to yourself, man.
"Biggest worry, Cutler thinking he is gonna do what Manning did last year, call his own plays, run the offense at his pace."
I don't know what makes you think Jay Cutler is like this? I have no idea...either, but of the 4 different offenses he's run in Chicago has he ever done something like that? I can bet that he's been pissed about play calls or game plans and a-hole OC's (tell Martz to go fuck himself!) But so have all of us fans too. This is your "biggest" worry? Come on man.

"Second biggest worry, Fox and Gase trying too hard to show it wasnt all manning and we learn that a big part of it was PAy a ton."

The majority of Fox's career wasn't with Peyton and go back and watch or check how the play calling and balance changed when Manning injured himself with about 4-5 weeks left in the season. Gase did a great job of leaning on the run, and calling different things. These are PRO coaches. That's what they look like.

Lets just hope this shiny new GM has an exit strategy with cutler like Hundley in the third round."

Now, I'm all for being prepared. But this just might not be the draft to do it in. I personally don't like Hundley... but that's for another day. You want the exit strategy even before you get to see the product. My 2 cents... let's see what Pace does the rest of FA and the draft. Let's see what Fox, Gase, and Vic do when they are actually playing football. We can't win anything in March anyway.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Biggest worry, Cutler thinking he is gonna do what Manning did last year, call his own plays, run the offense at his pace."
I don't know what makes you think Jay Cutler is like this? I have no idea...either, but of the 4 different offenses he's run in Chicago has he ever done something like that? I can bet that he's been pissed about play calls or game plans and a-hole OC's (tell Martz to go fuck himself!) But so have all of us fans too. This is your "biggest" worry? Come on man.

Joey, What makes you think Cutler is not like this? That is the million dollar question. Cutlers top quality is arrogance.
Yes he has run 4 offenses in chicago, ask yourself why. Is it that all the coaches sucked or Cutler just does not do well enough in any system to not try to change him since every change in offense brings up yet another fault?
Why did Martz get the fuck you? Because he took the decision making away from Cutler and put it on the coverage. The DB does, this, the ball goes there. Simple basic football. Last year Jay got full control to audible, yet we argue that the play call of run was changed by the coaches. Not change from run left to run right, change run to dump it to Forte.
You think Jay doesnt watch Manning, Brady and Rodgers taking control of a game and doesnt think he should do that too? With his arrogance, you really believe that?
People call Jay cerebral, but football smarts has always been a question, and if you would actually see that its a bad decision to throw a pass into double and triple coverage instead of finding the single coverage, you would see that too. I dont care if your receivers are being paid to jump 5 feet in the air and get cracked ribs from taking hits, its a bad decision to throw into triple coverage.
Jay needs big receivers because he does not have the accuracy to hit little guys in stride. Its stop, turn and catch. They keep giving him big receivers for that reason, and honestly, goal line, good, third down get to the sticks, good, every pass, bad.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Second biggest worry, Fox and Gase trying too hard to show it wasnt all manning and we learn that a big part of it was PAy a ton."

The majority of Fox's career wasn't with Peyton and go back and watch or check how the play calling and balance changed when Manning injured himself with about 4-5 weeks left in the season. Gase did a great job of leaning on the run, and calling different things. These are PRO coaches. That's what they look like.

Lets just hope this shiny new GM has an exit strategy with cutler like Hundley in the third round."

Now, I'm all for being prepared. But this just might not be the draft to do it in. I personally don't like Hundley... but that's for another day. You want the exit strategy even before you get to see the product. My 2 cents... let's see what Pace does the rest of FA and the draft. Let's see what Fox, Gase, and Vic do when they are actually playing football. We can't win anything in March anyway.

He told Martz to "Go fuck yourself"?

Another reason to hate the guy......

What a disrespectful punk.
Its sickening these players get by with this shit(Dez Bryant).
If I told one of my bosses that,i`d be canned,well maybe not canned,but in the office I`d go.and then the next time I`d be canned.(and I got 35 yrs there).
Same as when Tice wanted to talk to him and Jay got up and walked away from him...very disrespectful.
And Martz was a proven winner with the offenses he ran in STL.........Cutler has proven nothing,but to be called "the best qb Chicago has ever had".............roflmao

That statement has NEVER been true.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey, What makes you think Cutler is not like this? That is the million dollar question. Cutlers top quality is arrogance.
Yes he has run 4 offenses in chicago, ask yourself why. Is it that all the coaches sucked or Cutler just does not do well enough in any system to not try to change him since every change in offense brings up yet another fault?
Why did Martz get the fuck you? Because he took the decision making away from Cutler and put it on the coverage. The DB does, this, the ball goes there. Simple basic football. Last year Jay got full control to audible, yet we argue that the play call of run was changed by the coaches. Not change from run left to run right, change run to dump it to Forte.
You think Jay doesnt watch Manning, Brady and Rodgers taking control of a game and doesnt think he should do that too? With his arrogance, you really believe that?
People call Jay cerebral, but football smarts has always been a question, and if you would actually see that its a bad decision to throw a pass into double and triple coverage instead of finding the single coverage, you would see that too. I dont care if your receivers are being paid to jump 5 feet in the air and get cracked ribs from taking hits, its a bad decision to throw into triple coverage.
Jay needs big receivers because he does not have the accuracy to hit little guys in stride. Its stop, turn and catch. They keep giving him big receivers for that reason, and honestly, goal line, good, third down get to the sticks, good, every pass, bad.

I think you're taking everything you see in print and the 6 second sideline clips a little too literally. (and I probably am too)
Martz got: "go fuck yourself" because he called yet another 7 step drop with a bad OL, Hester as a "#1" WR, and 70 sacks in a season. Not because he took the decision making away.
Martz was NOT wanted as a HC or OC anymore. (still hasn't since he left Chicago) He was fired in Detroit after 2 years, fired in San Fran after 1, out of football for 1, and then hired by his former roommate (Lovie) after he (Lovie) couldn't get anyone else to even interview for the job. That year Lovie wanted to talk to Loggains, Clement, and someone else...they declined or their teams didn't let them. Lovie was out of options.

Honestly what do you want to believe... All of these former coaches to a man, have said Jay's football smart and cerebral. Were they all lying then? Or is it more likely that it's easy to blame the NFL whipping boy for their systems not working, in the hopes to save jobs and careers?

You want to focus on the bad plays and bad decisions...and I don't fault you for that. That's easy to do. But what you or I don't know, is what WAS the actual play? We all remember the Trestman quote

"Trestman started to say “Brandon ran the wrong rou…’’ Oops. No. Stop.
It was like a siren went off. Maybe Trestman got mentally tased. Whatever, the head coach of the Bears remembered in a very public way that you can’t say out loud that Marshall ran the wrong route."

As fans, we also don't see the simple checkdown...that goes for a first down, as "great/smart/cerebral." *It's not sexy and not worth much of a cheer... We don't see/know the simple call or audible that get's the offense out of a bad play and into a 4 yard gain... Those are the things that I KNOW happen WAY more. And when watching film later the QB is praised and respected. While on Sunday that play might not result in anything worth cheering for the fans...but those are the plays that Rookie and Bad QB's don't make. Rookies and McCowns try to keep the play on and run into a blitz (RB/OL get's blamed for 4 yard loss- by fans)

I still think that many fans believe it's like backyard football and you just stand back there and look for the open guy. It's not. Not at all... When you say that Jay like this or that. I can't agree with you. From what we saw last year- those were the play designs called: Hitches, Deep outs, comebacks...Because: BM and AJ were injured and couldn't get separation from DB's. The coaches made the decision to use their big bodies to "box-out" guys instead of run past them.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK...Once and for all...last time I'm going to say this. Martz didn't "take" audibles "away" from "Cutler"....Martz's system takes the audible away from every QB, because the system itself DOES NOT CONTAIN AUDIBLES.

You need to stop using that as some sort of bulletin point against Cutler, because it literally does not make sense.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...Once and for all...last time I'm going to say this. Martz didn't "take" audibles "away" from "Cutler"....Martz's system takes the audible away from every QB, because the system itself DOES NOT CONTAIN AUDIBLES.

You need to stop using that as some sort of bulletin point against Cutler, because it literally does not make sense.

The bulletin point is the fact that Martz did not change for Cutler. You are wrong though, quarterback audibles are in the Martz system, receivers were the ones calling the audibles, remember, DB plays you in, you simply go out, DB plays you out, you simply go in, quarterbacks job is to find the guy that both safeties did not go after and throw the football like Kurt Warner did. You cant say there were no audibles since receivers had two or three routes on each play. Devin Hester was not smart enough for the lingo. You know what, you have an explosive runner, you dumb it down for him, hey everybody run foxtrot 36 with the 89 twist and 56 stunt under the rainbow. DEVIN, RUN LIKE HELL FOR A TWENTY YARD IN. Thats your #leadership, not ignoring the stupid guy.
All they keep doing is trying to find a coaching staff that can get thru to this guy. This is his fifth staff here. Lets make sure you are not using that as a crutch for poor Jay having to learn a new system yet again since he was ineffective in the last 4 or 5 and didnt make the playoffs.

Do you promise, really that this is the last time you are going to say that? No take backs now!!!!!

Were audibles part of Trestmans system in 2013? Definitely not as much as 2014. We will see how"smart" Gase and Fox think Jay is.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
53239-jerry-seinfeld-Im-out-gif-0qdn.gif

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I enjoy AI's input, but his reputation for his willingness to exaggerate facts or outright make shit up to backup his argument is undeniable.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always be called a hater, even when I credit Jay like I did last season, (once or twice) even while the guys drunk on the koolaid were switching sides. They committed to 54 million and three years, how all this saving money by cutting him or trading him came about I dont know. Save 10 million of 2016 money while 13 million is still in dead money for the next two seasons.

All the guaranteed money was in the first three years so they could cut him at any time after that.

But this Hiring John Fox, please. Pace was sitting in on the B List hires with Ernie. There were no significant new candidates after Pace was hired and John Fox was a coach placed right in his lap that basically told the bears he wanted to coach here. With only pace, who knows what coordinators we would have gotten, with Fox, we got two great coordinators. Sorry, but this first time GM that watched Mickey Loomis do Sean Paytons paperwork should still be watched closely.

What are we on the fourth or fifth set of coach and coordinator that will try to fix Jay Cutler. They watched the same film from cutler breaking his cherry in Denver that all the other coaches and coordinators watched who also thought they could fix him. The "smart decision maker" that Cutler has been called after finally giving public support is the guy we have seen not be able to locate single coverage and throws high and wide into double and triple coverage to keep Marshall happy.

Biggest worry, Cutler thinking he is gonna do what Manning did last year, call his own plays, run the offense at his pace. Second biggest worry, Fox and Gase trying too hard to show it wasnt all manning and we learn that a big part of it was PAy a ton. Lets just hope this shiny new GM has an exit strategy with cutler like Hundley in the third round.
I am under the impression that Fox and friends aren't going to try to fix Jay Cutler. I am under the impression that they will run the offense they want and Jay Cutler will be at the helm next year. They have probably already made up their minds to get rid of Cutler, but they won't trade him until they get a reliable replacement and can lose him without taking a huge cap hit.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am under the impression that Fox and friends aren't going to try to fix Jay Cutler. I am under the impression that they will run the offense they want and Jay Cutler will be at the helm next year. They have probably already made up their minds to get rid of Cutler, but they won't trade him until they get a reliable replacement and can lose him without taking a huge cap hit.

This is as good a guess as any. I also believe Fox is planning on taking the ball out of Jay's hands by running the ball more often. Again, this is my guess.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay doesn't need "fixing"......they need to just provide an offense that utilizes the skills of the QB, RB, and WR's. Simple.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay doesn't need "fixing"......they need to just provide an offense that utilizes the skills of the QB, RB, and WR's. Simple.
I agree. Although I can't think of an offense that cutler would look good in. He would still make boneheaded and inaccurate throws. With all of the rumors surrounding cutler on his way out of chicago, I think the front office has already given up on him and that he is only keeping the QB spot warm for the next guy.

C

cubzzzfanincali

It is clear that at this point you can't fix Cutler. It's been tried. His mechanics got a little better 2 seasons ago, but not much, and you can't reprogram his brain. The best they can hope for is to mitigate his mistakes.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He told Martz to "Go fuck yourself"?

Another reason to hate the guy......

Well, if you wanted me to take 7 step drops behind 5 turnstiles, eventually Id echo that phrase- in spades :)

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is clear that at this point you can't fix Cutler. It's been tried. His mechanics got a little better 2 seasons ago, but not much, and you can't reprogram his brain. The best they can hope for is to mitigate his mistakes.

Maybe Im going out on a limb here, but backing him with a defense thats not ranked 31st or 32nd, along with a run game that doesnt solely rely on one back at a 3.9 ypc might help???

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season was proof that Trestman doesn't know jack shit about pro football. Throwing it 50 times a game, while all but ignoring Forte, is just dumb. Plain and simple, and I don't care who your QB or receivers are.

That will not happen with Fox IMO. They will get back to smash mouth football on both sides of the ball.