• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions wants to control their flagship station.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LET'S CHANGE THE LOGO ON OUR HELMET AGAIN!

That will turn this team around. How about some cot damn focus on the real priorities here, people. :L

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS Detroit: Lions censorship demands caused split

They switch stations because they don't like what a certain station says about their organization. Such a copout and weak. If they don't want a station talking shit about an organization, do your job properly then.

That's the spin. Lions deny it. Simply not re upping w the Ticket next season, instead moving to a much larger national station. Can't blame them. No one on the ticket knows their football.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read a bunch on this today. I definitely don't think 97.1 is trying to spin anything. I really wish I believed that was the case.

As far as the move to a much larger national station -- they are moving to WJR 760 AM, which doesn't even have sports talk and they are using the same play by play guys. While the signal will reach more people -- you aren't going to rack up advertising dollars on a station where you will only tune in once a week to listen to the game.

While I am not a fan of Valenti -- I actually believe him on this. I think it is humorous the Lions would waste an ounce of time worrying about what he says, as it is his job to praise or be critical of the team.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WJR was the shit back in the day.

Haven't listened to it since they lost Tigers broadcasts.

Wont listen to Lions games on there most likely either. Four or Five local stations carry the Lions. I'm assuming the Affliates that have always carried Lions games will mostly stay the same. If not, I'm gonna need a new radio in my car. AM sucks balls in that thing.

Heard WJR is also making a move at Wings and Tigers games....

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions moving to a much larger national station with greater advertising opportunities (WJR's current sponsors blow away the ticket) and to show hosted by a respected professional in the national broadcast HOF, Paul W Smith.

Real nice move by Rod Wood, who just took Lions radio from the frat house to the Penthouse.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions moving to a much larger national station with greater advertising opportunities (WJR's current sponsors blow away the ticket) and to show hosted by a respected professional in the national broadcast HOF, Paul W Smith.

Real nice move by Rod Wood, who just took Lions radio from the frat house to the Penthouse.

If it were a program to talk about politicians, authors, local news or what have you. You wouldn't find a better choice than PWS. When it comes to the Lions though -- I don't see him being anything but a sounding board to whatever the Lions want him to say.

In the end -- it doesn't really matter though. I like that it was changed, as the only time I ever listen on the radio to the Lions is if I'm driving back from somewhere long distance, so I will get to hear the game sooner with 760. :)

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wood didn't cook this up overnight. This was in the works for a long time before Wood showed up.

While the ticket is spinning this a lot there is a lot of truth to what Valenti is saying. Why not have their most popular host (even if hated by some) have a role in the Sunday morning pre-game? He is the most knowledgeable sports guy they have by a mile and he is entertaining. Instead we have to listen to Caputo bluster about the same crap weekend after weekend rather than a Lons discussion worth having.

The Lions hated Valenti and a message counter to hope and change that the Lions brass want to sell everyone.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions are lying about their reasons, of course. If it was really about the larger signal that reaches more people well, WJR has been right down the dial forever. Hell, the Lions used to be with them back in the 80s. This is all about not doing business with an organization that employs people who dump on them daily... and dump on them with good reason.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not have their most popular host (even if hated by some) have a role in the Sunday morning pre-game? He is the most knowledgeable sports guy they have by a mile and he is entertaining.

He is being replaced by TPaul. Top 5 arm chair GM

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all about not doing business with an organization that employs people who dump on them daily... and dump on them with good reason.

Without a doubt. They announced the Lions record over the time they were at 97.1 -- it was something ridiculous like 75-150 (I don't remember the exact number). You can't expect to hear rainbows and sunshine about your organization when you have stunk up the joint.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching the Sports Cave show Sunday morning, and Stoney said Lions reps call the station all the time, whining like a bunch of babies whenever someone was critical of the organization. To their credit, CBS Sports Radio (which owns 97.1) said they will not censor their on-air staff.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not censorship. Simply can't be anti Lion and still be the flagship show. Business 101.

Let me know if Valenti praises the Lions all week since he said he does when they win. Won't hold my breath.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not censorship. Simply can't be anti Lion and still be the flagship show. Business 101.

Do you listen to 97.1? I listen to 97.1 almost daily and while they are tough on the Lions, it is well deserved. When the Lions are playing well, or certain Lions are playing well -- they praise those players.

The Lions want a show where you don't talk bad about the Lions. A pretty simple solution to this is -- win games.