• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions Board 2014 Draft Rds. 1 thru 4

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A center in the 3rd is fine. He will be a starter next year. I was upset with Reiff not starting year one. Hindsight worked out well though. I truly would rather go QB later. Really don't see Matty being unseated anytime soon. Maybe that is hope new staff gets him straightened out.

Even so, the 3rd is higher than I've seen any of the centers going in this draft. We could sit-tight and grab one with one of our three 4th round picks...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verrett is the best technically sound CB in this draft even over Dennard, IMO. However, as you stated his stature is on the short side and that's what hurts his value. I'd love to have him as our nickel CB over Bentley all day every day but wouldn't use a 2nd round pick, if he lasted that long, just for a situational CB. Last year we used the nickel more than 60% of snaps. I don't see that happening with Austin.

I'd take him in a heartbeat if he's still there in the 2nd.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gandydancer;4767190[B said:
]A center in the 3rd is fine. He will be a starter next year[/B]. I was upset with Reiff not starting year one. Hindsight worked out well though. I truly would rather go QB later. Really don't see Matty being unseated anytime soon. Maybe that is hope new staff gets him straightened out.

:agree:QB of the OL. Very, Very hard to come by. It would be great if they could provide value as an emergency OG, IMO, for this year while learning from Ravioli. Raiola stated he wants to play 2 more years, not that Mayhew has determined such to date, but I really like the fact that USC's Marcus Martin was the only Frosh ever to start Day 1 as an OL and at LG. Martin having only 1 year at Center makes me question why he came out but having a year to learn behind Raiola is just fine, IMO. A plus is that Martin is very athletic and has the girth that Raiola just got last year. Matin 6'3 320. I read where Richburg and Larsen had trouble keeping weight on in college. Richbur and Stork are said to both be extremely smart but Stork has had two significant concussions to date, So He's A No Go In My Book. Furthermore, drafting Martin should he struggle to pick up OC he was damn good at LG. Sims is a FA in 2015. It's a win win situation drafting Martin over any other OC. Swanson is headed for RG by most talking heads. He has a little Peter Konz in him, ex-wisky player drafted by Atl 3 years ago. Both Atl OL Coaches were fired because of not using Konz properly. He never made it as a C so far

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Marcus Martin

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Weston Richburg

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Travis Swanson

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can pretty much compare Barr to Seattle's Bruce Irvin as a tweener right now. he's like a Pit Bull that you unleash and tell him "sick'em" go get the QB. He has a lot of upside but only 2 years as a defensive player. he kind of reminds me of a better Avril as a pass rusher, nearly same size and speed coming out of college as Avril and not much in run support, lacks more than just a rip/swim move, has virtually no vision/awareness for pass coverage. Don't ask him to do more than he can handle right now. Get to the QB and bring him along the rest of the way as he can decipher the Pro level. JMO. Attaochu is nearly identical to Barr. VanNoy is great in coverage, run defense and pass rushing. Edge VanNoy.

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Jeremiah Attaochu

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Kyle Van Noy

Barr has a good amount of height on Irvin and longer arms as well (which is a huge plus). Barr comes in at a respectable 6'5" which is a big jump at DE from the 6'3" Attaochu.

I think there's a bit of a misconception that Barr is shorter than he really is, vs. just small (which in the sense of weight, he is... at 6'5" he should be at around 270-280 if he's going to be a 4-3 DE).

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take him in a heartbeat if he's still there in the 2nd.

He'd start over Bentley from Day 1. I'm just critical that we have so many needs and many posters may think he's a wasted pick. I would bet he'd start over any of our CB's by mid-season, short or not there are plenty of CB's his size that are good or great man cover. I want VanNoy in the 2nd round anyways.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on who's available, I would take Verrett in the second round. They say his awareness, speed and ability makes up for his size.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think VanNoy makes it out of the 1st or early 2nd.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even so, the 3rd is higher than I've seen any of the centers going in this draft. We could sit-tight and grab one with one of our three 4th round picks...

With really only 5 maybe 6 centers getting decent ratings, I don't have a issue with grabbing him early to get the one you want instead of settling. Martin (P) ring a bell. This is also a player you expect to use for 7-10 years in a position hard to fill. Sure many guys can snap, can he make right calls consistently?

I have seen many mocks with 3 and 4 centers gone by end of 3rd. Mocks are like politicians, never right and always change their stance.

Pats will take Swanson or Richburg in 2nd rd...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think VanNoy makes it out of the 1st or early 2nd.

There's a lot of mocks that I've seen where he goes after Det in the 2nd round and even as late as mid 3rd round. IMO, if he's available for SD in 2nd round that's as far as he lasts. He's not just a 3-4 OLB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've seen Richburg as a 2nd rounder in at least 2 mocks and Swanson/Martin early-mid 3rd round. it's Stork, Larsen, Ikard that are past mid 4th round in mocks that I've read. Martin provides A LOT of value as a 3rd round. He was a LG as a fresh/soph. That's a replacement for Sims next year should he not pan out as a Center.

BTW, when a lot of posters in here were concerned that Mayhew and Caldwell were out in Colorado looking at WR Paul Richardson, Colo and Colo St held their pro day workouts together at Colo Univ so that tells me they were looking at OC Richburg not WR Richardson.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truly you go back and read every scenarios so far and I would sit good on all. The trade up to #2 would hurt IMO. Trading to #7 ahead of Bucs for Evans were he goes is smarter IMO if WR was Mayhew's target.

With the posts so far and seeing what everyone thinks. It does prove a deep talented draft class!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With really only 5 maybe 6 centers getting decent ratings, I don't have a issue with grabbing him early to get the one you want instead of settling. Martin (P) ring a bell. This is also a player you expect to use for 7-10 years in a position hard to fill. Sure many guys can snap, can he make right calls consistently?

I have seen many mocks with 3 and 4 centers gone by end of 3rd. Mocks are like politicians, never right and always change their stance.

:agree::10: JMO, it's either Martin or Richburg in my book. I'll pass on every one else, even Swanson. Aaron Donald ate his azzzzzzzz up at Senior Bowl, all day long

or even Baltimore as they don't have a regular pick in 4th and 5th round outside of comp picks.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truly you go back and read every scenarios so far and I would sit good on all. The trade up to #2 would hurt IMO. Trading to #7 ahead of Bucs for Evans were he goes is smarter IMO if WR was Mayhew's target.

With the posts so far and seeing what everyone thinks. It does prove a deep talented draft class!

JMO, only through the 4th round. there aren't that many really good 4-3 DE's in this draft, or Centers, or LT's. There's developmental guys but it gets weak after 4th rd except WR and Maybe RB. 4-3 DE's Clowney, Barr, Crichton, Martin, Gayle. I'm not talking tweener guys that need a yr or two. I'm talking about guys with the physical build right now to come in at the very least as a 25%-30% rotational player.
Maybe 3 Centers worthy of even drafting. LG not much there either as most are destined to be RG due to lack of athleticism. A lot of possible RT's. Maybe it's just me that doesn't see this draft as deep when considering how many players who fit our needs and maybe maybe maybe they are there when are slot comes up.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did one previously of what "I thought Mayhew might draft" and I incorrectly used Marcus Martin as Mayhew's pick for a Center in the 3rd round when in fact I meant Richburg as his pick. USC Center Marcus Martin is who I want. My Bad as usual.. damn newbie cannot ever get anything right.

This is who I want to see drafted by the Lions.

1. #10 DT Aaron Donald
2. #45 LB Kyle VanNoy
3. #76 OC Marcus Martin
3. #78 DE Kareem Martin UNC (Fairley traded to Dallas for this slot, plus a conditional 2015 4th or 5th)
4. #111 LB/SS Telvin Smith FSU (stole this idea/pick from Gandydancer... BTW great pick by Gandy)
4. #133 WR Cody Lattimer IND
4. #136 OT Michael Schofield Mich (started 2 yrs as a LG and 2 yrs.as a RT..is a serviceable depth RT)

I think it could be paramount that VanNoy took Ansah under his wing while at BYU. Ansah was cut twice from BYU's BB team, couldn't even find playing time as a rotational guy his first year. Only started 8 games in his final year at BYU but played in all 13. VanNoy is a 3 down LB who has a nose for the ball. he isn't exceptional in any one area. He simply diagnoses/reads plays right and rarely makes poor choices. A great locker-room guy and could become a leader in a couple years.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Blue,

I thought that was the second time the Lions showed interest in Richardson?

Gandy,

From what I gather, Tampa has needs and interest in almost all of the coveted positions in the top ten. Yesterday, they were saying the team is looking at QB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionstop. From what I read, in a Freep report by Birkett, the Lions were scouting Richburg not Richardson. Birkett addressed this issue in one of his weekly chats bc posters were screaming that they didn't want to see another injury prone (concussion/acl) wr drafted by the Lions. Birkett stated that while there at the pro day workouts they did watch some of the other players outside of Richburg but there main focus was on Richburg as they watched his ENTIRE drill session.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I see. Richardson is a baller though and may slide a bit because of the injuries.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever seen Latimer play?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Blue,

I thought that was the second time the Lions showed interest in Richardson?

Gandy,

From what I gather, Tampa has needs and interest in almost all of the coveted positions in the top ten. Yesterday, they were saying the team is looking at QB.

JMO, TB needs a speedy WR to compliment Vincent Jackson not saying that they'd bypass Evans. Should Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson be there for them, I highly doubt they'd pass on one of them. They just signed ex-cincy OT Anthony Collins who was a rotational guy that had maybe 5-6 starts in his career and the other OT they currently have is Demar Dotson and Emmett Cleary (a 2nd yr OT)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All the more reason to wait till the 4th then. The Pats are one of the worst drafting "good" teams out there. They blow their early picks year in and year out...