• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions Board 2014 Draft Rds. 1 thru 4

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to add that I think Sammy Watkins is the target, but the Lions may have to consider moving up as far as two to get him.

If the Lions have to trade up to #2 to get Watkins -- I don't think we will be seeing Sammy Watkins on the Lions. I'm not sure what the trade value chart says -- but I'm guessing it would take a pretty penny to move up 8 spots to #2 overall.

I would hope -- if the Lions were to move up to #2 overall and had a choice between Clowney, Mack or Watkins -- That Watkins would be there 3rd choice out of those players.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions have to trade up to #2 to get Watkins -- I don't think we will be seeing Sammy Watkins on the Lions. I'm not sure what the trade value chart says -- but I'm guessing it would take a pretty penny to move up 8 spots to #2 overall.

I would hope -- if the Lions were to move up to #2 overall and had a choice between Clowney, Mack or Watkins -- That Watkins would be there 3rd choice out of those players.

The first one you can look by teams. Second is just generic pick totals

2014 NFL Draft Trade Value Chart

Draft Countdown - Trade Value Chart

Last edited by a moderator:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At #76 I'll go with whoever is available between Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice and Keith McGill, CB, Utah.
At #111 I'll go with Aaron Murray, QB Georgia.

Current picks:

#10 Mike Evans
#45 Kyle Van Boy
#76 Phillip Gaines
#111 Aaron Murray

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first one you can look by teams. Second is just generic pick totals

Am I reading that chart correctly? Is it saying for the Lions to move up to #2 overall -- they have to trade 1300 "points" worth of picks?

So basically we'd have to give up our #10 pick, as well as a 1st round pick for next year and probably another pick, as I'm guessing Detroit won't be a top 10 pick again OR basically trade away every draft pick we have this year?

Going out on a limb and saying Detroit isn't trading up to #2 overall. :laugh3:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Attaochu is an OLB. That is why I said, it will be interesting to see what Austin's plan is for the defense, as guys like Barr and Attaochu are extremely talented and athletic, but they are much better fits for a 3-4.

I'd love to have guys like Barr and Attaochu, but Detroit would have to make some changes defensively to fit their strengths, as both are OLB, who specialized in rushing the passer in 3-4 defenses.

Both have the size to play DE in a 4-3. Attaochu would have to put on more weight and is definitely better suited for a 3-4, but as a situational pass-rusher he'd be a fit. Barr, though, certainly has the frame and length to play DE on all three downs.

As for Austin's plan for the defense, it's not really a secret at this point: Our base is still a 4-3, but more of a traditional look ("7") front, rather than the wide-9, with a lot more blitzing. He's also said that we'll incorporate 3-4 looks. Basically he's going to find ways to utilize what we have, rather than making what we have fit his scheme.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed this. Where are they talking about Dennard being the 5th CB taken in the draft? Everything I have read says Dennard and Gilbert are interchangeable as the 1st off the board depending on what type of CB you need for your defense.

Can you post the article on this? I'd like to read about that. If Dennard is being talked about as the 5th CB -- I would love to see the Lions go with OLB, DT, DE, whatever is there at 10 and then try to trade back into the bottom of the 1st to get Dennard.

Post-free agency mock draft | ProFootballTalk

Here's a mock with Dennard as the 5th CB off the board. This is the only one I know of off-hand with Roby and Verret over Denard, but I've seen a fair amount of mocks/rankings/talking heads with Fuller over Dennard.

Imo Dennard is the #2/#3 CB behind Gilbert and neck-and-neck with Fuller. I don't think Verrett and Roby are quite as good. I really like Verrett's skills, but 5'9" is too short for a 1st round CB, imo...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the same TP.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First I want to say that I think we are trading back to 19. Dolphins have a hard on for Taylor Lewan and right around 10 is where they are really going to have to jump to get him. We should get and extra 3rd with the swap and probably a 2nd or 3rd next year too.

If it does not happen then I am posting what I think will happen not what I want to happen.

10-LB Barr
45-CB Fuller
76-WR Mathews
111-C Stork

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most mocks still have Dennard as the #2 CB taken, but he's not coming off the board till after the 20th pick in most of them...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I reading that chart correctly? Is it saying for the Lions to move up to #2 overall -- they have to trade 1300 "points" worth of picks?

So basically we'd have to give up our #10 pick, as well as a 1st round pick for next year and probably another pick, as I'm guessing Detroit won't be a top 10 pick again OR basically trade away every draft pick we have this year?

This may true for the #2. The new CBA rookie contracts has sure made trading up easier after the 4th or 5th pick though.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two back-ups in our 1st four picks? Ouch!

A center in the 3rd is fine. He will be a starter next year. I was upset with Reiff not starting year one. Hindsight worked out well though. I truly would rather go QB later. Really don't see Matty being unseated anytime soon. Maybe that is hope new staff gets him straightened out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both have the size to play DE in a 4-3. Attaochu would have to put on more weight and is definitely better suited for a 3-4, but as a situational pass-rusher he'd be a fit. Barr, though, certainly has the frame and length to play DE on all three downs.

:10:

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the draft point value chart made by Jimmy Johnson is a joke and is no longer relevant. Teams trade up or down for far less these days unless they think they're getting a the last difference-maker in the draft.

Examples - Raiders move from #12 to #3 for just their second-rounder (42) last year.
Bills move from #16 to #8 and give up a second, swap thirds, and a seventh
49ers move from 31 to 18 for a measley third-rounder.

I say in this draft we could move to #2 as long as Clowney is the #1 for our second and a fourth

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any trade up this year involving a future pick, you can halve the current slot #'s point total regarding same round value for next year. In essence "if Det" was to move from #10 to #2 overall, there current #10 is worth 1300 pts and next years 1st round is half that value, as in 650 pts. Same for any other future rd pick. This years slotted # is valued at half that for next years "same round" pick.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post-free agency mock draft | ProFootballTalk

Here's a mock with Dennard as the 5th CB off the board. This is the only one I know of off-hand with Roby and Verret over Denard, but I've seen a fair amount of mocks/rankings/talking heads with Fuller over Dennard.

Imo Dennard is the #2/#3 CB behind Gilbert and neck-and-neck with Fuller. I don't think Verrett and Roby are quite as good. I really like Verrett's skills, but 5'9" is too short for a 1st round CB, imo...

Verrett is the best technically sound CB in this draft even over Dennard, IMO. However, as you stated his stature is on the short side and that's what hurts his value. I'd love to have him as our nickel CB over Bentley all day every day but wouldn't use a 2nd round pick, if he lasted that long, just for a situational CB. Last year we used the nickel more than 60% of snaps. I don't see that happening with Austin.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that these teams pretty much set their own standards of what it will take for them to move down if a team offered to trade up. Some teams may ask for a lot while others will settle for less.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that these teams pretty much set their own standards of what it will take for them to move down if a team offered to trade up. Some teams may ask for a lot while others will settle for less.

:10:Fact ! All of the above

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can pretty much compare Barr to Seattle's Bruce Irvin as a tweener right now. he's like a Pit Bull that you unleash and tell him "sick'em" go get the QB. He has a lot of upside but only 2 years as a defensive player. he kind of reminds me of a better Avril as a pass rusher, nearly same size and speed coming out of college as Avril and not much in run support, lacks more than just a rip/swim move, has virtually no vision/awareness for pass coverage. Don't ask him to do more than he can handle right now. Get to the QB and bring him along the rest of the way as he can decipher the Pro level. JMO. Attaochu is nearly identical to Barr. VanNoy is great in coverage, run defense and pass rushing. Edge VanNoy.

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Jeremiah Attaochu

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Kyle Van Noy