• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they think their second guy can be had, and are willing to do that simply because we keep looking around, then they are not qualified for their job (option B from my list above). Clearly they have decided that this trade is the best option to improve the Chiefs. If they choose to make a different deal because we spend another two weeks looking for a deal that does more for the Niners, then they are a horribly run franchise.

Seriously, they're not teenage girls. They aren't going to stop hanging out with us simply because we look around a bit more.

Let's say you're shopping for a used car, and I'm selling one.

You come look at my car early in the morning and offer me $5000, which I'm perfectly happy with. You tell me there are a few other cars you wanted to check out as well. Am I going to tell you I won't sell you mine if you don't buy it right now? If you come back that evening because mine was the best deal, am I going to tell you "no" and sell it for $4500?

Of course I'm not. I'm not going to hurt my bottom line because I'm offended you wanted to see what else was out there.

Funny you said that, because when I sold my car, the dealer said that the offer was going to go if I went and looked around. I looked around and came back, he upped the offer because I brought one in higher. LOL. I was moving and acquired my brother in laws car who was moving out of the country to go live with his fiancé. So, I could have asked a friend to drive the other car while I drove mine (my wife went to help her brother move), but I just thought, I'd sell and get it over with. Didn't tell the dealer that of course. I told him we had other private offers.

I don't think KC being incompetent is out of the question but you must also take note of KC isn't the team telling anyone. They may be interested in Smith, offered what they thought, we liked it, and now we're telling others no deal. They wouldn't stop us from telling others that, would they?

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if that game against the Eagles factored in for Reid. I mean, he was there when the entire stadium chanted for Carr and then after that Smith almost led a comeback so that must have left some sort of impression about Smith's mental game.

I'm glad Smith gets to go someplace with a smart offensive coach and maybe a very good WR in Bowe along with those shifty little RBs. Too bad for him he might be injured by week 8 with that horrible o-line.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if that game against the Eagles factored in for Reid. I mean, he was there when the entire stadium chanted for Carr and then after that Smith almost led a comeback so that must have left some sort of impression about Smith's mental game.

I'm glad Smith gets to go someplace with a smart offensive coach and maybe a very good WR in Bowe along with those shifty little RBs. Too bad for him he might be injured by week 8 with that horrible o-line.

Maybe he saw more in the Saints game that he liked than he didn't like in the NFCC game? Coaches do have high egos and he may think that he could have handled the NFCC game better. Not that I think he would, just saying. A lot of people said no one would trade for him because GM/HCs see that he did well with Harbaugh. Well, Reid might think he's like or better than Harbaugh. Doesn't make it true, but we're not talking about predictions, just whether someone would be interested.

They might draft oline help, but nothing happens overnight. Smith took sacks here and the oline was good (better at run than pass, but still good) - maybe Cassel similarly made them look worse than they are? Maybe Alex will avoid sacks better for fear of concussions (which may cause other problems in his game, but keep him cleaner?).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they re-sign Albert and draft Joeckel they are heading towards good things at oline. I read they will probably tag Bowe. They will be interesting to watch.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they re-sign Albert and draft Joeckel they are heading towards good things at oline. I read they will probably tag Bowe. They will be interesting to watch.

I may be jumping the gun, but if this is true, I'm glad all your messages you were delivering that made me want to kill the messenger turned out not to be preventative. I'm hoping this means we don't have to worry about getting lower pick than offered (reneging) or that we get a higher bid.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he saw more in the Saints game that he liked than he didn't like in the NFCC game? Coaches do have high egos and he may think that he could have handled the NFCC game better. Not that I think he would, just saying. A lot of people said no one would trade for him because GM/HCs see that he did well with Harbaugh. Well, Reid might think he's like or better than Harbaugh. Doesn't make it true, but we're not talking about predictions, just whether someone would be interested.

They might draft oline help, but nothing happens overnight. Smith took sacks here and the oline was good (better at run than pass, but still good) - maybe Cassel similarly made them look worse than they are? Maybe Alex will avoid sacks better for fear of concussions (which may cause other problems in his game, but keep him cleaner?).

With that in mind, that is probably why Reid is ignoring the bad years from Alex. I'm not sure if he is polite or rude about it, but I'm sure he thinks he can do much much better at devising an offensive gameplan with Smith at QB than Singletary and Nolan ever could.

Oh, I forgot about the 2011 game against the Eagles. Two years in a row Smith led a comeback against Andy Reid. I would think that is why the Eagles didn't hesitate to give 3 draft picks if the rumors of the deal are true.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who plays LT? It has to be Albert unless you pay him like a LT and move him to RT that is the only way I see him staying.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Funny you said that, because when I sold my car, the dealer said that the offer was going to go if I went and looked around. I looked around and came back, he upped the offer because I brought one in higher. LOL. I was moving and acquired my brother in laws car who was moving out of the country to go live with his fiancé. So, I could have asked a friend to drive the other car while I drove mine (my wife went to help her brother move), but I just thought, I'd sell and get it over with. Didn't tell the dealer that of course. I told him we had other private offers.

I don't think KC being incompetent is out of the question but you must also take note of KC isn't the team telling anyone. They may be interested in Smith, offered what they thought, we liked it, and now we're telling others no deal. They wouldn't stop us from telling others that, would they?

We also don't know that SF is the team telling anyone a deal is done. The story is that SF is telling teams a deal is done. That could come from any team that called to ask about acquiring him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also don't know that SF is the team telling anyone a deal is done. The story is that SF is telling teams a deal is done. That could come from any team that called to ask about acquiring him.

Tue, if they are lying or have an incentive to report something exaggerative, then the other team is the one releasing. I don't see the "releasing" as the leak to us in the media, I see the release as telling other inquiring teams.

But if they are telling the truth, then it is the Niners telling people (teams) this, which leads us back to the question, why? In other words, I'm not questioning KC's reasoning if they are sure on Smith and think they are giving fair value and are received favorably by the Niners. They may feel they are winning the gamble, as in don't want Foles cheaper and think the price for Smith is good? Other bidders couldn't make the price lower. They may not leak it, but won't stop the Niners or others from doing so?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i figured it was gonna be kc who ended up with smith

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a trade, both sides are buying and selling. We're shopping around for draft picks with our Alex Smith currency.

But the same question I ask about why we would commit to this trade 2.5 weeks before it can be done applies to KC (or whoever). What if they find a better deal elsewhere?

If Alex Smith is their only target, why would we commit to the trade since they apparently won't be looking elsewhere for a QB. If we can't find a better deal, then we have this one.

I just don't see KC backing out of the deal if we were to say "we're willing to do this, but we want to see what else is out there. We'll let you know." If the KC deal is still the best offer in 2 weeks, I don't see them taking it off the table.

"In a trade, both sides are buying and selling. We're shopping around for draft picks with our Alex Smith currency."

This is actually incorrect. We have the commodity and KC (or whoever) has the currency. The commodity is the constant; the currency is the variable.

If your scenario were correct then we would be looking for specific draft picks and would be willing to give/spend whatever it took to get them. That just isn't the case; we are selling Smith and will be taking the best offer.

"I just don't see KC backing out of the deal if we were to say "we're willing to do this, but we want to see what else is out there. We'll let you know." If the KC deal is still the best offer in 2 weeks, I don't see them taking it off the table."

I can think of several issues that would make the above scenario and non-starter, but what would prevent KC from lowering their offer when/if the 49ers returned to the table?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they think their second guy can be had, and are willing to do that simply because we keep looking around, then they are not qualified for their job (option B from my list above). Clearly they have decided that this trade is the best option to improve the Chiefs. If they choose to make a different deal because we spend another two weeks looking for a deal that does more for the Niners, then they are a horribly run franchise.

Seriously, they're not teenage girls. They aren't going to stop hanging out with us simply because we look around a bit more.

Let's say you're shopping for a used car, and I'm selling one.

You come look at my car early in the morning and offer me $5000, which I'm perfectly happy with. You tell me there are a few other cars you wanted to check out as well. Am I going to tell you I won't sell you mine if you don't buy it right now? If you come back that evening because mine was the best deal, am I going to tell you "no" and sell it for $4500?

Of course I'm not. I'm not going to hurt my bottom line because I'm offended you wanted to see what else was out there.

Imac this doesn't even make sense plus you're mixing your metaphors. First of all why would anyone make an "accepted offer" then say they still want to check out other cars.

As for your metaphor's you have KC making the offer - then continuing to look in the above while it is the 49ers continuing to look in the other scenario.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are it's Alex Smith for Percy Harvin.

But not directly.

This link says it's 99% sure that it's for their 3rd and a late round pick, which we will use to get Percy Harvin from Minnesota.

But I'm not familiar with this source and there are so many moving parts.

Rumor: Alex Smith Traded to Chiefs For Two Draft Picks

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"In a trade, both sides are buying and selling. We're shopping around for draft picks with our Alex Smith currency."

This is actually incorrect. We have the commodity and KC (or whoever) has the currency. The commodity is the constant; the currency is the variable.

If your scenario were correct then we would be looking for specific draft picks and would be willing to give/spend whatever it took to get them. That just isn't the case; we are selling Smith and will be taking the best offer.

"I just don't see KC backing out of the deal if we were to say "we're willing to do this, but we want to see what else is out there. We'll let you know." If the KC deal is still the best offer in 2 weeks, I don't see them taking it off the table."

I can think of several issues that would make the above scenario and non-starter, but what would prevent KC from lowering their offer when/if the 49ers returned to the table?

To the first part:

This more of a barter system than cash economy. We have something they want (a QB), and they have something we want (draft picks). We are looking to buy the draft picks for our QB. We have the opportunity to go to a few different vendors (so to speak) and see what we can get for our commodity. Like wise, KC can shop their draft picks around and see what other QBs are available. Both teams have a commodity that the other wants.

To the second:

If KC lowers their offer simply because we shop around a bit, then I question how sold they are on Smith. Particularly because we don't have to tell them what other deals we have found. If they lower their offer, they risk losing the deal in place.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Imac this doesn't even make sense plus you're mixing your metaphors. First of all why would anyone make an "accepted offer" then say they still want to check out other cars.

As for your metaphor's you have KC making the offer - then continuing to look in the above while it is the 49ers continuing to look in the other scenario.

There is nothing to say that the Chiefs can't continue to look around. There's also nothing to say that if the potential car buyer above is continuing to look at cars, that I won't continue to take offers.

I know my focus has been why the Niners wouldn't continue to look, but I wonder the same thing about the Chiefs. The risk is that one of the teams finds a better deal and the other is left in the lurch.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the first part:

This more of a barter system than cash economy. We have something they want (a QB), and they have something we want (draft picks). We are looking to buy the draft picks for our QB. We have the opportunity to go to a few different vendors (so to speak) and see what we can get for our commodity. Like wise, KC can shop their draft picks around and see what other QBs are available. Both teams have a commodity that the other wants.

To the second:

If KC lowers their offer simply because we shop around a bit, then I question how sold they are on Smith. Particularly because we don't have to tell them what other deals we have found. If they lower their offer, they risk losing the deal in place.

You are still viewing this incorrectly - KC is not the initiate in this transaction - We are. If Alex Smith didn't have a "For Sale" sign on him then KC would be the initiate.

Contrary to your belief we are NOT in the market for draft picks - We are in the market to SELL Alex Smith for whatever we can get for him. We are not telling KC we want their draft picks - they are offering their draft picks as compensation for what we are selling.

As for the Chiefs sincerity in wanting to buy Smith, the same can be said about our sincerity in wanting to sell Smith if we walk away from an acceptable offer.

Not that it ever would, but if your scenario ever did come to fruition and the 49ers came back to the table after having an acceptable offer only to try to improve upon it - I absolutely would lower the offer - significantly!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing to say that the Chiefs can't continue to look around. There's also nothing to say that if the potential car buyer above is continuing to look at cars, that I won't continue to take offers.

I know my focus has been why the Niners wouldn't continue to look, but I wonder the same thing about the Chiefs. The risk is that one of the teams finds a better deal and the other is left in the lurch.

Exactly!!! Which is why if you receive an acceptable offer for something you are selling - you take it - even if it is 2.5 weeks before the ad runs out. The key factor here is - you are getting what you wanted, when you get it is of no consequence, in fact, getting it earlier is probably better.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Rumors are it's Alex Smith for Percy Harvin.

But not directly.

This link says it's 99% sure that it's for their 3rd and a late round pick, which we will use to get Percy Harvin from Minnesota.

But I'm not familiar with this source and there are so many moving parts.

Rumor: Alex Smith Traded to Chiefs For Two Draft Picks

I can buy that rumor since I can't see Baalke hanging on to all those picks since it would be complete overkill.

Trading for Harvin, getting a CB in FA, and likely resigning Goldson and/or Walker makes sense. In the draft we'll look to add a heir apparent to Justin Smith who can act as depth and a future starter Safety and round the rest off with depth and Special Teamers.

If not a trade for Harvin I expect their to be a lot of wheeling and dealing on the 9ers part by trading up and getting picks for next year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A trade for Harvin would surprise me. It's not the way the Niners have approached things lately. Harvin isn't worth all that much in a trade unless he signs a new contract, and the Niners have plenty of their own players who they will want to re-sign coming up. I have trouble seeing them giving a big contract to Harvin, especially given his attitude issues.