• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, we bring you back to reality of news reporting:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Jim Harbaugh will be the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KC was going to get Alex anyway, then this announcement makes teams believe KC is not going to pick a QB and therefore could pick their guy in the draft. Trade up, anyone?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As long as something else better didn't come along for them as well, and therein lies the risk. If there were a bidding war for Alex then your point is probably put into practice.

My guess is there are not a lot of suitors for Alex and this could be a take it or leave it offer. All speculation of course.

Then the assumption would be that they didn't really want Smith. This knife cuts both ways. If we assume it's KC, then they have effectively said "we're no longer looking for a QB, we're happy with Alex Smith."

It doesn't make sense for either side to stop looking for a better deal at this point.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna go ahead and predict the 1st overall pick in the draft. Alex was a former 1st overall so that's the only fair trade....right?

If it were the first pick, an I know you're kidding, the Niners could leak it to everyone by scheduling top pick people to come visit and then people will trade with us! Just kidding.

If it were the first pick, considering this draft seems weaker at not just QB than some drafts. 2005 draft - 2013 draft = what we've gotten from Alex Smith? ;) Though 2005 could have been a worse draft overall, for all I know.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then the assumption would be that they didn't really want Smith. This knife cuts both ways. If we assume it's KC, then they have effectively said "we're no longer looking for a QB, we're happy with Alex Smith."

It doesn't make sense for either side to stop looking for a better deal at this point.

I said this in the above post, but it's a stab related to yours?

If KC was going to get Alex anyway, then this announcement makes teams believe KC is not going to pick a QB and therefore could pick their guy in the draft. Trade up, anyone?

I mean, this is not the only way to do this, just saying maybe?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If it were the first pick, an I know you're kidding, the Niners could leak it to everyone by scheduling top pick people to come visit and then people will trade with us! Just kidding.

If it were the first pick, considering this draft seems weaker at not just QB than some drafts. 2005 draft - 2013 draft = what we've gotten from Alex Smith? ;) Though 2005 could have been a worse draft overall, for all I know.

The trade will happen about a month and a half before the draft. I don't think visits would be scheduled before FA starts.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could have already done the "can you beat this offer" with all of the potential trade partners, that's how I assume trade talks like this work. Rest assured they're not dummies, and are getting the best deal they think they can get.

Yeah, maybe all this talk was done earlier when Mort was saying nothing was happening. I would imagine that the deal had to be better than a 4th or 5th for the Niners to commit (even though it could have been lower and this is not complete).

But this is a stronger message that the "can you beat this offer," maybe it's a strong bluff? (Not as in lie, but as in the finality being a bluff.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade will happen about a month and a half before the draft. I don't think visits would be scheduled before FA starts.

Ok, thanks. Just throwing things out there, because I don't know the answer to your question either.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deal For Alex Smith 'Effectively Complete' According To Report

"Alex Smith may already have his ticket out of San Francisco.

Now he just has to wait a couple of weeks to get it punched.

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, a trade for Alex Smith is effectively complete.

The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can’t be finalized til league year begins 3/12

— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) February 24, 2013

so it’s not official, both clubs view it at as it’s effectively done. I do not know the other team. KC and JAX are 2 teams that make sense

— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) February 24, 2013

That is a pretty big bombshell, especially considering it comes on the heals of this report from Ian Rapoport that the Chiefs are the team showing the most interest in Smith.

If a deal for Smith is already done then the Chiefs have to be considered the favorite to be the trade partner here. Then again, it is hard to trust anything you hear this time of year. Say, for instance, the Chiefs have offered a third-round pick for Smith. The 49ers, wanting to get more for the QB, could let slip that a deal is basically done, hoping to entice other suitors to get involved in a desperate attempt to outbid the “mystery team.” Heck, it is possible that there isn’t even a deal in place at all and the 49ers are just telling La Canfora that.

Still, this report is likely to send shockwaves through Chiefs Nation.

Do you guys think it is a smokescreen or the real deal?"

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure it does - If both sides have met the expectations of the other then why would KC keep looking and risk losing Smith; likewise, why would the 49ers keep looking and risk losing KC?

The assumption being made here is that one or both parties are not happy with the deal.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RT @RapSheet: RT @ryanohalloran #jaguars GM Dave Caldwell says via text "not us" who has deal in place for SF QB Alex Smith.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
RT @RapSheet: RT @ryanohalloran #jaguars GM Dave Caldwell says via text "not us" who has deal in place for SF QB Alex Smith.

Now all it'll take is for 30 other GMs to tweet that, and we'll know where he's going.

Please be Dallas! (I can dream).

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I had this thought, and saw it mentioned somewhere else. Might a Smith trade involve future compensation? It would make sense with our already high number of picks this year. It also lets the pick be conditional.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sure it does - If both sides have met the expectations of the other then why would KC keep looking and risk losing Smith; likewise, why would the 49ers keep looking and risk losing KC?

The assumption being made here is that one or both parties are not happy with the deal.

I think if both sides are happy with the deal, then neither side risks losing it if they continue to look. If the other side finds a better deal, then they may lose it.

Let's say this is for KC's 3rd round pick this year (good reason for SF to be happy), what if we agree to make this trade, but later find out we could have had the 56th pick instead of the 67th? Or maybe Jax (the other team I've seen linked) was willing to give us their 3rd and 5th?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if both sides are happy with the deal, then neither side risks losing it if they continue to look. If the other side finds a better deal, then they may lose it.

Let's say this is for KC's 3rd round pick this year (good reason for SF to be happy), what if we agree to make this trade, but later find out we could have had the 56th pick instead of the 67th? Or maybe Jax (the other team I've seen linked) was willing to give us their 3rd and 5th?

I do not understand your logic Imac. If both sides are happy there would be no reason to take the risk in the first place.

If you were selling a home and someone offers your asking price you don't say to them - thanks but we're going to see if we can get more money from someone else - Yeah, I'm not understanding the logic.

Taking a risk requires one of two conditions to be met: First, a lack of contentedness with the deal and/or a market within which to take the risk. If one or both conditions are not met then neither team would either, a) want to take the risk, or b) be able to take the risk.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not understand your logic Imac. If both sides are happy there would be no reason to take the risk in the first place.

If you were selling a home and someone offers your asking price you don't say to them - thanks but we're going to see if we can get more money from someone else - Yeah, I'm not understanding the logic.

Taking a risk requires one of two conditions to be met: First, a lack of contentedness with the deal and/or a market within which to take the risk. If one or both conditions are not met then neither team would either, a) want to take the risk, or b) be able to take the risk.

Both sides have a deal in place, now what if somebody offers the 49ers something more? Its not like that is going to become breaking news and hurt the Chiefs feelings. Its a business move by the 49ers to let this go public so early.