• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both sides have a deal in place, now what if somebody offers the 49ers something more? Its not like that is going to become breaking news and hurt the Chiefs feelings. Its a business move by the 49ers to let this go public so early.

If the 49ers were to receive and unsolicited 'better' offer after an agreement was reached with the Chiefs - then I suppose they would have check their gut on how to proceed.

My guess is there is an agreement pending a physical or something like that.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just the weirdest story. I have no idea whether or not I should believe it.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I do not understand your logic Imac. If both sides are happy there would be no reason to take the risk in the first place.

If you were selling a home and someone offers your asking price you don't say to them - thanks but we're going to see if we can get more money from someone else - Yeah, I'm not understanding the logic.

Taking a risk requires one of two conditions to be met: First, a lack of contentedness with the deal and/or a market within which to take the risk. If one or both conditions are not met then neither team would either, a) want to take the risk, or b) be able to take the risk.

But if you're selling your house and the you have a few people willing to bid and the first offers your asking price, do you accept on the spot, or do you hear out the others?

House sales are not a good comparison here because generally once you get an offer you like, you make the deal. We can't make this deal for a few more weeks.

We're looking to buy something with Alex Smith as our currency. We can't make a purchase until March 12. Why decide on what we want to buy 2.5 weeks in advance and completely stop shopping?

The only reason to stop looking for a better deal, is that you're afraid the current one will no longer be there. If the Chiefs (or whoever) are going to walk away from the trade if we keep looking, that tells me they don't really want Smith anyway.

If we were to continue to look around, not find a better offer, then on March 12 call the Chiefs up and say "deal," are they really going to say "no, you talked to other teams after us."? That seems really petty and not something a good business would do.

And this is a business deal. Two companies attempting to improve their product.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you're selling your house and the you have a few people willing to bid and the first offers your asking price, do you accept on the spot, or do you hear out the others?

House sales are not a good comparison here because generally once you get an offer you like, you make the deal. We can't make this deal for a few more weeks.

We're looking to buy something with Alex Smith as our currency. We can't make a purchase until March 12. Why decide on what we want to buy 2.5 weeks in advance and completely stop shopping?

The only reason to stop looking for a better deal, is that you're afraid the current one will no longer be there. If the Chiefs (or whoever) are going to walk away from the trade if we keep looking, that tells me they don't really want Smith anyway.

If we were to continue to look around, not find a better offer, then on March 12 call the Chiefs up and say "deal," are they really going to say "no, you talked to other teams after us."? That seems really petty and not something a good business would do.

And this is a business deal. Two companies attempting to improve their product.

Here is the disconnect perhaps, we are not the buyers - we are the sellers in this market. Thus, we have set our asking price and if KC has met our asking price and there are no other parties interested in buying or if perhaps their offers came in below KC's, then why wait until the 12th to announce what we already know?

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Because you can always stir up more buyers from this. If you are the sellers of a house, and nobody is interested in the house, you do some touch ups to make it look better than it actually is. This creates a buzz and potentially more buyers. Same with the niners here IMO. Throwing this out to get a buzz going or to make a team bid against themselves.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If it's the Chiefs' 3rd I could see them telling teams to not bother since no team is going to give up a 2nd rounder for him and if I was Baalke I would be doing backflips if I could snag that.

And on a lesser chance it might be a case that they want to do right by Alex and send him to a place he wants to go along with being happy with the deal from the Chiefs.

Also I could see the Chiefs having a higher value on Smith since Reid is another coach that typically maximizes average talent at QB. Pretty much every QB that has left the Eagles under Reid has sucked so it's obvious it comes down more to coaching rather amazing QB talent.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you can always stir up more buyers from this. If you are the sellers of a house, and nobody is interested in the house, you do some touch ups to make it look better than it actually is. This creates a buzz and potentially more buyers. Same with the niners here IMO. Throwing this out to get a buzz going or to make a team bid against themselves.

Are you thinking the 49ers actually have no interested parties and are simply using the media to generate interest? If nobody was willing to meet our asking price then I think we would simply lower our asking price, not use the media to generate interest.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I hear on the radio here its rumored to be the Chiefs 3rd and 6th this year and a 5th next year

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
No I am saying we have one team that is in fact leading with a few others just interested. But when people think something is "sold" or about to be sold, sometimes people overreact. In this case, let's say the Chiefs have offered us their 4th. Trent thinks he can get a 3rd, so he leaks this "trade is done" to make the other few teams start to rethink their limit. Maybe one will take the bait and give up a 3rd.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No I am saying we have one team that is in fact leading with a few others just interested. But when people think something is "sold" or about to be sold, sometimes people overreact. In this case, let's say the Chiefs have offered us their 4th. Trent thinks he can get a 3rd, so he leaks this "trade is done" to make the other few teams start to rethink their limit. Maybe one will take the bait and give up a 3rd.

If they really do have a deal done with another team, whether its a handshake or other kind of informal agreement, but the deal can't legally be formalized for a few more weeks......then they keep shopping it......then that would be classless. That's not how professionals do it. You do that negotiating process before you say "done deal" with another team.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yea I agree 100%. That was just a possibility.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If its true, no wonder we said we are content.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barrowws, Former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli says on NFLN that it's "possible" the #49ers get a second- or third-round pick for Alex Smith.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well if this happens and we get that 3rd round comp pick, that's 4 3rd round picks.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If its as good as a second, they should trade it to a crappy team for a first next year, hope its the first over all pick and get Clowney

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and an incredibly weak 2013 QB draft class

Smith's look out for each other. ;) (Geno's passing in the Combine was reportedly better than the rest but less than stellar.)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well if this happens and we get that 3rd round comp pick, that's 4 3rd round picks.

I don't see any way that we get a 3rd round comp. Maybe a 4th. Still, we would be a in great shape even with a 4th.