• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I am just going off of what people have reported. I am guessing it would be for Snyder, but i don't see him getting us a 3rd either.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is just the weirdest story. I have no idea whether or not I should believe it.

to me their 3rd rounder is believable. wasn't expecting it, but believable.

so if this trade goes thru, Baalke will REALLY need to work trades??!! either move up for quality or trade into the next draft. he doesn't necessarily have to trade up in the 1st round, maybe 2nd or 3rd?

would it have been better for KC to trade their 2014 2nd rounder? only that one pick?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if what's being rumored is true... damn.... good fucking sh*t... that may makeup the Jenkins botched pick...

now how do we get clowney!?!??!?1

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's KC I might be worried, the last time we sent one of our future HOF QBs to them he came back and beat us.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me their 3rd rounder is believable. wasn't expecting it, but believable.

so if this trade goes thru, Baalke will REALLY need to work trades??!! either move up for quality or trade into the next draft. he doesn't necessarily have to trade up in the 1st round, maybe 2nd or 3rd?

would it have been better for KC to trade their 2014 2nd rounder? only that one pick?

I want this year so there's no way anything they do affects our pick. I don't want to have a reason for wanting them to fail - I mean that was the reason I didn't want him in the conference, much less the division. Not because he was any risk to us. If we could get a great pick for this year and trade our other picks with a team we don't like and is likely to fail this next year, it would be best for me and the same for us. There should be a worse team out there than the Chiefs that we could trade with and know that their better draft pick this year is likely to be wasted.

Who will be the worst team regardless of this year's draft? ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's KC I might be worried, the last time we sent one of our future HOF QBs to them he came back and beat us.

And we also had Steve Young.

I know it was a joke, but I'm no more worried about that than I was about the WWLWWL pattern last year before facing the Falcons.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here is the disconnect perhaps, we are not the buyers - we are the sellers in this market. Thus, we have set our asking price and if KC has met our asking price and there are no other parties interested in buying or if perhaps their offers came in below KC's, then why wait until the 12th to announce what we already know?

In a trade, both sides are buying and selling. We're shopping around for draft picks with our Alex Smith currency.

But the same question I ask about why we would commit to this trade 2.5 weeks before it can be done applies to KC (or whoever). What if they find a better deal elsewhere?

If Alex Smith is their only target, why would we commit to the trade since they apparently won't be looking elsewhere for a QB. If we can't find a better deal, then we have this one.

I just don't see KC backing out of the deal if we were to say "we're willing to do this, but we want to see what else is out there. We'll let you know." If the KC deal is still the best offer in 2 weeks, I don't see them taking it off the table.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No I am saying we have one team that is in fact leading with a few others just interested. But when people think something is "sold" or about to be sold, sometimes people overreact. In this case, let's say the Chiefs have offered us their 4th. Trent thinks he can get a 3rd, so he leaks this "trade is done" to make the other few teams start to rethink their limit. Maybe one will take the bait and give up a 3rd.

But the report isn't that a deal has been completed. The report is that the Niners are telling teams not to bother asking because the deal is done.

To complete the analogy to selling a house, they didn't fix the house up, they got an offer and took it/him off the market. Everyone that calls is being told "Sorry, he's already been sold."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a trade, both sides are buying and selling. We're shopping around for draft picks with our Alex Smith currency.

But the same question I ask about why we would commit to this trade 2.5 weeks before it can be done applies to KC (or whoever). What if they find a better deal elsewhere?

If Alex Smith is their only target, why would we commit to the trade since they apparently won't be looking elsewhere for a QB. If we can't find a better deal, then we have this one.

I just don't see KC backing out of the deal if we were to say "we're willing to do this, but we want to see what else is out there. We'll let you know." If the KC deal is still the best offer in 2 weeks, I don't see them taking it off the table.

Just responding to the bold. We wouldn't know this per se. If Smith is their only target and they have sufficiently made us believe that Foles was an option, maybe when they offer a little more than we thought we'd get, we'd accept essentially. I don't know why they or we would tell others, so you have a valid point, just saying that we wouldn't know per se. They may think, at this price, they'll forget about Foles. This is if they think we are giving them a deal and we think they are giving too much.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just responding to the bold. We wouldn't know this per se. If Smith is their only target and they have sufficiently made us believe that Foles was an option, maybe when they offer a little more than we thought we'd get, we'd accept essentially. I don't know why they or we would tell others, so you have a valid point, just saying that we wouldn't know per se. They may think, at this price, they'll forget about Foles. This is if they think we are giving them a deal and we think they are giving too much.

If they're so put off by us continuing to shop they

a) are not all that interested in Alex Smith, or

b) are ridiculously under-qualified to be running an NFL team.

Are we really to think that because we want to see if we can get a better deal, that they are going to be so deeply offended they will take their offer off the table? They feel this trade for Smith is in the best interest for their team. If we kept looking, couldn't find a better trade, and came back to them in 2 weeks and they said no, the Chiefs are being run by 13 year old girls.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're so put off by us continuing to shop they

a) are not all that interested in Alex Smith, or

b) are ridiculously under-qualified to be running an NFL team.

Are we really to think that because we want to see if we can get a better deal, that they are going to be so deeply offended they will take their offer off the table? They feel this trade for Smith is in the best interest for their team. If we kept looking, couldn't find a better trade, and came back to them in 2 weeks and they said no, the Chiefs are being run by 13 year old girls.

Or we might feel they'd pull out. We don't care if they really are that interested in Smith, we just want to secure what we have with them and hopefully, this was a good deal for us and that's why. I mean, I don't know why and I trust our guys, but that's the only reason I could see. They offer more than we think he's worth, we think they'll leave/lower offer if others can only offer less, knowing that their deal isn't binding. Would we suddenly not deal with them if they lowered their deal because we looked elsewhere and they knew the value? (But more than the rest.) Let's say we have a 2nd now and if we look elsewhere and people offer only a 4th, are we going to reject their 3rd when they lower due to us still bidding? But we might just keep that 2nd, knowing that it's unlikely anyone else offers. You can change the example to lower rounds respectively if it a 2nd is so off so as to throw you off.

As you said, it doesn't make sense from either side, unless what they offered to us was satisfactory for us and Smith wants to go there. The Niners would NOT release Alex out of kindness, but they might take a satisfactory offer? This is of course if this offer is one they don't think KC would up in a case of bidding and the chances of other upping it is minimal.

Again, I'm not making any claims, just throwing things out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Or we might feel they'd pull out. We don't care if they really are that interested in Smith, we just want to secure what we have with them and hopefully, this was a good deal for us and that's why. I mean, I don't know why and I trust our guys, but that's the only reason I could see. They offer more than we think he's worth, we think they'll leave/lower offer if others can only offer less, knowing that their deal isn't binding. Would we suddenly not deal with them if they lowered their deal because we looked elsewhere and they knew the value? (But more than the rest.)

As you said, it doesn't make sense from either side, unless what they offered to us was satisfactory for us and Smith wants to go there. The Niners would NOT release Alex out of kindness, but they might take a satisfactory offer? This is of course if this offer is one they don't think KC would up in a case of bidding and the chances of other upping it is minimal.

Again, I'm not making any claims, just throwing things out there.

If they're willing to pull out, they aren't that in on Smith. So why would they agree to stop looking around? If they're agreeing to stop looking around, Smith must be there guy.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Smokes, 3 draft picks for Alex Smith? How fortunate that there actually turned out to be a market for him with a weak draft and weak FA group. Kinda smart move by the Chiefs too because Cassel was due 7.5 million anyway. I wonder if it'd be worth bringing in Cassel as a backup, he did alright in New England when he was just a piece of the puzzle instead of looked at as a franchise QB.

I can't imagine anyone would be looking to bring Cassel in as a starter with how shittastic he was with the Chiefs the last 2 years. Well, never mind the Cardinals would probably consider offering him a start, they can't do any worse than what they have...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're willing to pull out, they aren't that in on Smith. So why would they agree to stop looking around? If they're agreeing to stop looking around, Smith must be there guy.

Maybe they think their second guy can be had if not? It doesn't matter if they are that in on Smith. They just have to have him as their first priority and be confident in that. Then, they can have a backup plan like Foles they would go for if we go out and get a higher bidder. The slightly higher pick they are offering and may be overpaying is worth it if we don't go looking around. If we go looking around they may have second thoughts and have to restart talks with their second guy. That slightly higher draft pick gamble is not worth it if we break our word and go looking for ore. It's like when a kid is unsupervised but then gets greedy, takes longer, and now the parents got home and he's caught. Should have just taken what he could get.

Basically a higher draft pick than normal is given in exchange for the Niners to stop looking. It's a gamble for both sides, KC could be overpaying and we may be giving up on a higher bidder. But, KC would have to have a feeling that it's possible but unlikely to be outbid and we'd have to think that the chances of this being higher than other possibilities is good, to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe they think their second guy can be had if not? It doesn't matter if they are that in on Smith. They just have to have him as their first priority and be confident in that. Then, they can have a backup plan like Foles they would go for if we go out and get a higher bidder. The slightly higher pick they are offering and may be overpaying is worth it if we don't go looking around. If we go looking around they may have second thoughts and have to restart talks with their second guy. Basically a higher draft pick than normal is given in exchange for the Niners to stop looking. They would have to have a feeling that it's possible but unlikely to be outbid and we'd have to think that the chances of this being higher than other possibilities, to do this.

If they think their second guy can be had, and are willing to do that simply because we keep looking around, then they are not qualified for their job (option B from my list above). Clearly they have decided that this trade is the best option to improve the Chiefs. If they choose to make a different deal because we spend another two weeks looking for a deal that does more for the Niners, then they are a horribly run franchise.

Seriously, they're not teenage girls. They aren't going to stop hanging out with us simply because we look around a bit more.

Let's say you're shopping for a used car, and I'm selling one.

You come look at my car early in the morning and offer me $5000, which I'm perfectly happy with. You tell me there are a few other cars you wanted to check out as well. Am I going to tell you I won't sell you mine if you don't buy it right now? If you come back that evening because mine was the best deal, am I going to tell you "no" and sell it for $4500?

Of course I'm not. I'm not going to hurt my bottom line because I'm offended you wanted to see what else was out there.