• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Its cool man. I cant provide anymore quotes for B A) Because I already did it and B) Because he would just ignore his own statements anyway :)

See this is what I'm talking about with you. Don't make excuses. I have never once ignored my statements. You, however, have not once accepted the context in which they were said.

The truth is, you know what I said and you know what I meant and thus you know I was correct. When you came here with your 'new idea' that there was a "shitty qb market" and it was going to impact Smith's value, that idea and its impact had long since passed.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this is what I'm talking about with you. Don't make excuses. I have never once ignored my statements. You, however, have not once accepted the context in which they were said.

The truth is, you know what I said and you know what I meant and thus you know I was correct. When you came here with your 'new idea' that there was a "shitty qb market" and it was going to impact Smith's value, that idea and its impact had long since passed.

Seems like it was new to Niner fans since they would have considered anything better than a 4th rounder as "profit". A 4th rounder would have been a terrible trade for you guys but seemed like that was the benchmark for a good trade for you guys.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm, where you said that he made it to the left side of the bell curve?

(Just kidding, rmilia, I couldn't resist. I don't really mean to insult, just a joke.)

I will never know what drives some of these crazies to come here and think they know our team better than we do.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A message from a Kansas City poster on another board.

You've won more Super Bowls in the last 30 years than we've won PLAYOFF GAMES in 40.

Your team has won as many playoff games in the last two years as we have from 1971-Present.

Your team sucked from about 2003-2010. Before that you were winning playoff games with Steve Young, before that you were winning Super Bowls with Young and Montana.

You know what this team has done in its last eight year period? I'll tell you:

10-6, 9-7, 4-12, 2-14, 4-12, 10-6, 7-9, 2-14.

You know what it did the seven years before that?

7-9, 9-7, 7-9, 6-10, 8-8, 13-3, 7-9

How many playoff games did we win in that period? 0.

How many games did we go to in that period? 3.

How many NFL records did we set for futility in those games? 2.

You're a guy who burned his hand on a toaster oven comparing the injury to a passenger on American Airlines Flight.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like it was new to Niner fans since they would have considered anything better than a 4th rounder as "profit". A 4th rounder would have been a terrible trade for you guys but seemed like that was the benchmark for a good trade for you guys.

You, as so many others, seem to think it was just 'insane' for believing that "better than a 4th" would have been an excellent deal - well, it wasnt insane.

Myself and others entertained the exact idea's that others here mentioned and even predicted. Furthermore, and again, I defended the plausibility or receiving KC's 1st overall pick.

So, I'm not sure what you are trying to say I was wrong about here, but if this is all you have then I'm sorry but you have nothing.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Niners.com message board guy quoted a guy from a KC message board. Apparently, from my guess, as I haven't gone to the KC board, is a Niners fan came on to talk about Alex and our dark days and he unleashed the "you think you got it bad?" rant.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners.com message board guy quoted a guy from a KC message board. Apparently, from my guess, as I haven't gone to the KC board, is a Niners fan came on to talk about Alex and our dark days and he unleashed the "you think you got it bad?" rant.

There's some light - Gezus, that would be crazy if you are right.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah well, at least Singletary and Jimmy Daydream Jr made them look like worldbeaters... :)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly, the market for Smith was smaller than expected
My first thought is: Poor Jamaal Charles. Now that Andy Reid has a quarterback, Charles will be underutilized, just like LeSean McCoy was in Philadelphia. Is there a support group for that? We can call it B.I.B.A. (Backs Ignored By Andy). Meetings every Monday morning at 9 a.m. -- you can conference in if you can't attend in person.

OK, here's the big thing I take away from this: The market for Alex Smith apparently was very small, which is sort of baffling. The trade value in return is pretty standard, considering what the price tag on a new contract with Smith will wind up being. But this trade was done early. There was plenty of time -- another 10 days at least -- to conduct a bidding war for the best available QB this offseason. There was plenty of time to get a package like this -- why wouldn't the Niners see if they could get a little more? Unless, of course, there wasn't going to be a bidding war. There's no way San Francisco pulls the trigger on this trade as quickly as it did unless the Niners knew no other teams would be interested -- either because of a specific salary-cap situation or, more likely, a lack of belief in Smith as a true franchise QB.

I like Alex Smith. However, he's caught up in an NFL era during which teams don't just want their QBs to win -- they want them to run as well as they can pass and put up video-game numbers. But Smith is a good enough QB to capture a title. He's sort of a poor man's Eli Manning -- who has his share of believers and non-believers, as well.

Alex Smith trade impacts Chiefs, 49ers, Geno Smith and more - NFL.com

With Baalke saying that he sat down with Smith and got a list of teams that Smith wanted to play for and the Chiefs being near the top... I think this guy is 100% on why the trade happened quickly.

I'd believe Baalke 7 days a week and twice on Sunday before I ever believed writers like this guy on NFL.com who basically just say what they feel instead of what they know....

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude on profootballcentral says the Raiders entered the mix and drove up the price. I'd have to check but he was probably the first guy to say the trade was done with KC before it was mentioned by JLC. He certainly says he was. It will be interesting if this guy turns out to be a legit source because he says shit before all the NFL guys say it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rmilia, you have to understand that this all happens because Bemular, among others, spent years blaming Smith for the Niners' plight, failing to understand that he was just not put into a position to succeed. "Can't win with Smith". Then they're proven wrong, so instead of saying "well maybe I'm not a football expert" they thrash this way and that trying to discredit and dismiss Smith whenever possible. Don't expect any consistency, its all about maintaining ego and refusing to admit when they're wrong.

:laugh3: Not even close Space.

Here I will tell you precisely how I feel about Alex

First, I do not blame Alex for anything. Smith did not draft himself #1 overall and thereby placing the albatross of expectation around his neck. Smith should have never been drafted #1 overall and if the '05 draft hadn't been nearly as bad as the '13 draft he might not have been taken in the 1st round at all.

I have never been more proud of a 49er player than I am of Alex Smith and that includes nearly 50 years of players to choose from.

I never said we couldn't win with Alex although doing so was only going to delay the inevitable which was that one day Smith was not going to be a 49er simply because he is not that good of a QB. And this is where you and I part ways.

As for my consistency, I don't bullshit and therefore I am incredibly consistent - Feel free to challenge that claim anytime. Do so respectfully and I will respond the same - you have my word.

In closing, and for the record, if current rumors are true then I just became a huge Chiefs fan, just as I did some 20 years ago. And I will root for and hope Alex can lead KC to the Super Bowl; and, if we are not in it, then I hope he walks away with the MVP!

Sometimes being wrong is even better than being right - this would be one of those times.

Space, do you have any questions on this?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, what?? Alex Smith isn't a bad QB, but let's be real his game will suffer immensely without the Niners O-Line protecting him and the security blanket of a TE like Davis. He doesn't have the tools to carry a team, which is probably what the Chiefs are anticipating.

Our oline was great, mostly in the run game, but overall, too; but I expect KC's oline to get better than it is. Someone cited a PFF source that showed it wasn't that bad (Cleveland's was better out of the choices for Smith, though.)

Smith will have a QB friendly offensive minded coach in an offense that passes more, but not deeper per se. A lot of quick short passes and a few shots. Not predicting anything that great, but I see more yards, more TDs, more INTs, lower completion percentage (bound to happen anyway, plus not as good of team), and lower YPA without the best running team. But they do have a good runner and did produce there a bit last year. Their defense is 12th and was higher before midseason injuries. A lot of their losses were close.

So I expect some better things with Smith because of the system and some worse things due to the team. Obviously, there will be some negative system things too, but it's not all downhill.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure didn't see that happening, two 2nd-round picks and a new contract for Alex? I thought the appeal was that he was under a rental contract so that if he didn't meet expectations the team trading for him could walk away.

Although, Andy Reid probably has the know-how and ego to believe that his offensive prowess is capable of getting the best out of Alex Smith and maybe even improving on what he has done the last 2 years.

That is just incredible though, thank you weak draft class and free agency, thank you Kolb for sucking in Arizona in order for the Cards to drive up the price since an interdivision trade probably would have got a 2nd from the Cards.

This is why I didn't get people saying "no one will trade for Smith, they know he needs a great coach like Harbaugh." It doesn't matter if Harbaugh's better than Reid, all that needed to happen is for Reid to think he's a great coach. That would eliminate that limitation.

Now, there are other things, but not the needing-a-coach, in the perspective of those trading. I even thought Norv would think he's a good coach.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if the Eagles misjudged Reid's interest in Foles or Smith? Or did the Eagles really want Foles? Would they have offered a third or a third and a conditional for Foles? A fourth? Was that a failed attempt by Reid to lower our price? Was interest in Smith to lower Foles and see what price either could get?

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dude on profootballcentral says the Raiders entered the mix and drove up the price. I'd have to check but he was probably the first guy to say the trade was done with KC before it was mentioned by JLC. He certainly says he was. It will be interesting if this guy turns out to be a legit source because he says shit before all the NFL guys say it.

Plus, the Cardinals got involved?? Thanks for sweetening the pot Zona.:clap: