• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, he is going to get destroyed in KC. He didn't become a decent QB until the 49ers surrounded him with talent. KC has 1 RB, a decent wideout and that's pretty much it. Expect a ton of sacks and ints. If they think he's going to go in there and turn the team around they are sadly mistaken.

This!

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, he is going to get destroyed in KC. He didn't become a decent QB until the 49ers surrounded him with talent. KC has 1 RB, a decent wideout and that's pretty much it. Expect a ton of sacks and ints. If they think he's going to go in there and turn the team around they are sadly mistaken.

I think Smith was "decent" in his 2nd year. I think the West Coast offense suits him better also. And he's going to a coach that has a offensive background with a team that has a good running game. Best possible situation for Smith and quite a haul for the Niners. Good job all around.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize we can't force teams to be interested in Smith - right? How shitty the QB's are in the league are of no consequence to what Smith is worth.

If you guys are happy with a 4th rounder for Smith you truly do not appreciate how shitty QB play is in the NFL right now. Id be looking for a 4th, a 5th and maybe an extra pick next year. Or a 3rd and a pick next year. Something like that. I mean what is the Chiefs/Browns/Jags etc other recourse??? Go 3-13 again???

Sure it does man, I mean if teams are looking to upgrade and their pool of available talent is bad then the Niners hold the cards. You guys are in the great postion of not HAVING to trade Alex. With what you are paying Kaep its perfectly OK to just keep both. Other teams know that so if they want Smith they should have to pay for him. I mean Alex isnt a franchise guy by any means but he is a top half NFL QB ( proven), that doesnt come available every day. Shit the 2 other "big name" guys likely to be available are Foles ( a 3rd rounder that went 2-6 in his 8 starts last year ) and Matt Flynn ( a guy that has started 2 or 3 NFL games and couldnt beat out a rookie last year AFTER Seattle gave him 8 million bucks). To me SF holds every card in the deck on this one.

Here let me break my post down to a more understandable statement.

"You do realize we can't force teams to be interested in Smith - right?"

Are you lost?

Here let me break my post down to a more understandable statement - Again.

"You do realize we can't force teams to be interested in Smith - right?"

Correct interpretation of this statement is this: If there is no interest in Smith then Smith has no value. Thus, how shitty the QB's in league are is of no consequence to Smith's value.

Hmmmmm, anyway..... I dont dislike KC for Alex as much as I would have Cleveland or Arizona. KC has decent pieces ( not great but OK). Solid WR's, good TE, really good run game. KC's OL is average but Alex is MUCH more mobile than Cassel so he should negate a bit of that and Smith is nowhere near as mistake prone as Cassel. I like the trade for KC, I think it makes them the 2nd best team in the AFC West and maybe a 8 or 9 win team if their D gets healthy. e

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC is probably the second most talented team behind Denver in the AFC west if they franchise or sign Bowe, draft Joeckel. I can see them being a 10-6 or 9-7 team next year barring injuries.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
KC is probably the second most talented team behind Denver in the AFC west if they franchise or sign Bowe, draft Joeckel. I can see them being a 10-6 or 9-7 team next year barring injuries.

Sounds good to me...especially if it solidifies the 2014 conditional pick from KC to be a 2nd rounder!

Just wondering: If the Chiefs decide that they are giving up too much for Smith after reading the press releases, what consequences exist if they decide to back out of the deal before everything would become "official" in March? It would be shady, but just curious. And I suppose none of us will know because they likely signed confidentiality agreements to negotiate this "unofficial" trade for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL, I think you're confused troll. You might want to take your hater troll stuff about Alex Smith to the Chiefs board now.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hahaha....

Then:
How shitty the QB's are in the league are of no consequence to what Smith is worth.

Now:
Smith's value is being propped up by a horrible QB market otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

rmilia, you have to understand that this all happens because Bemular, among others, spent years blaming Smith for the Niners' plight, failing to understand that he was just not put into a position to succeed. "Can't win with Smith". Then they're proven wrong, so instead of saying "well maybe I'm not a football expert" they thrash this way and that trying to discredit and dismiss Smith whenever possible. Don't expect any consistency, its all about maintaining ego and refusing to admit when they're wrong.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Evan Silva:

ESPN's Trent Dilfer on #49ers GM Trent Baalke: "He's the best general manager in football, and I don't know if 2nd place is very close."

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I think you're confused troll. You might want to take your hater troll stuff about Alex Smith to the Chiefs board now.

Um, what?? Alex Smith isn't a bad QB, but let's be real his game will suffer immensely without the Niners O-Line protecting him and the security blanket of a TE like Davis. He doesn't have the tools to carry a team, which is probably what the Chiefs are anticipating.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the security blanket of a TE like Davis

You don't watch much Niners, do you? He's one of the furthest things from a security blanket there is. Great big play guy, but not a reliable target. Smith had a lot of success with him a few years ago, but not much this year.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't watch much Niners, do you? He's one of the furthest things from a security blanket there is. Great big play guy, but not a reliable target. Smith had a lot of success with him a few years ago, but not much this year.

Fair enough, but my point being KC doesn't have anywhere near the talent of SF.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All hail Baalke. Highway robbery. :laugh3:

Clyde, certainly we must agree with you. You are clearly more qualified to judge A Smith's talent and value than the multi-year experienced professional football men of the KC Chiefs.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the deal is for a KC early 4th..its a total push for us and great deal for them. If we cut him, we will probably get a end of 3rd in Compensation in 2014. So on current value terms a late 4th. That is a total push. At least they should get the KC 3rd and real value is more like a KC #34 at least...game manager or not, and that is from a Non Alex fan boy. Deal him to Az or KC ..but at a better price than what either of them have offered so far...of course that means they have to be willing to part with more assets and thats the $64 question.

WOW WOW WOW!!!! Trade valued at ~560pts+200pts forthe cond. pick= ~760 pts or a mid 20 pick in rd1. Given the even talent in this draft we should just keep the picks and only improve them marginally (move up only a few spots) to grab the guys we like. Happy happy happy...

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys are happy with a 4th rounder for Smith you truly do not appreciate how shitty QB play is in the NFL right now.

Sure it does man, I mean if teams are looking to upgrade and their pool of available talent is bad then the Niners hold the cards.

Prices are generally set with both demand AND supply in mind. Just sayin.

The "supply side" of the equation has been established; thus, it now is up to the "demand side" to determine the price.

Agreed. As long as we can get together that the supply of QB this year is indeed a factor, albeit a static one at this point. I think that's what was tripping people up. Cheers.

...Was indeed a factor. A static supply has no impact on price. Thus, unless demand for Smith or supply changes (and those changes apply pressure) then Smith is worth what the market is willing to pay. Demand is now in control of his value - not supply - at this point.

Hmmmmm, looks like I should have paid closer attention to what I was saying and what the responses were - Sorry Bemular

As you can see Rmilia, AT THE TIME you were saying we didn't know how shitty the POOL of QB's were, not only did everyone on this board know we also knew that POOL wasn't going to get any shittier.

Thus whatever was being offered for Smith at the time of your first post, it was being offered with the full knowledge of how shitty the POOL of QB's were and therefore that part of the equation was passive to the negotiations.

So, when you made your claim that the POOL [SUPPLY] OF AVAILABLE SHITTY QB'S was going to have an impact on Smith's value, that level of shittyness had ALREADY been established - and thus it was no longer consequential to the current proceedings.

Unless the supply had changed AND that change applied pressure then however shitty the QB's are in the POOL, to use your word, that is as shitty as they were going to get and thus and again they were NOT going to further impact the negotiations.

Now, if you needed me to say - the impact of supply on these negotiations is already known and we are now dealing strictly with a demand issue then, there you go - Wait, I did say that.

Again, apology accepted.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you can see Rmilia, AT THE TIME you were saying we didn't know how shitty the POOL of QB's were, not only did everyone on this board know we also knew that POOL wasn't going to get any shittier.

Thus whatever was being offered for Smith at the time of your first post, it was being offered with the full knowledge of how shitty the POOL of QB's were and therefore that part of the equation was passive to the negotiations.

So, when you made your claim that the POOL [SUPPLY] OF AVAILABLE SHITTY QB'S was going to have an impact on Smith's value, that level of shittyness had ALREADY been established - and thus it was no longer consequential to the current proceedings.

Unless the supply had changed AND that change applied pressure then however shitty the QB's are in the POOL, to use your word, that is as shitty as they were going to get and thus and again they were NOT going to further impact the negotiations.

Now, if you needed me to say - the impact of supply on these negotiations is already known and we are now dealing strictly with a demand issue then, there you go - Wait, I did say that.

Again, apology accepted.

So I was right. Got it. Shitty pool of QB's means the Niners got what I figured they would and WAYYYYYY more than you guys were hoping for. I already knew I was right though but thanks for reposting it.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
WOW WOW WOW!!!! Trade valued at ~560pts+200pts forthe cond. pick= ~760 pts or a mid 20 pick in rd1. Given the even talent in this draft we should just keep the picks and only improve them marginally (move up only a few spots) to grab the guys we like. Happy happy happy...

I think we are going to keep 31 and 34. Probably use our late second rounder and Carolina's early third rounder to move up and get into the top 45 again. The late second is worth a little under 300 and our pick with Carolina is worth a little over 200. That value puts us at the early part of the second again(around 38 to be specific.) Also, that leaves us with our 3rd still and the possibility(however unlikely) for the comp 3rd.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of course if you already knew how shitty the level of QB play was then you would have alrady known that SF was likely to get at least 2 good picks for Alex. I mean that has alrady been established in prior years with WAY worse QB's than Alex. Now show me where you said SF would get 2 quality picks for Alex ( like I showed you). I mean if you ALREADY KNEW how shitty the pool of talent was then you must have agreed with my statement yesterday. I am having trouble finding it though.....

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good trade for both team IMO. SF gets 2 quality picks and dumps salary. KC gets a way better QB than they had ( or could have drafted in this years class) AND the trade for Alex frees KC up to either A) Take a more needed position with the #1 pick OR B) Trade down for a few picks and recoup the picks they traded to SF all while still getting a major upgrade at QB. Win-Win, doesnt happen too often but both teams came out good here.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Evan Silva:

ESPN's Trent Dilfer on #49ers GM Trent Baalke: "He's the best general manager in football, and I don't know if 2nd place is very close."

Eric Branch:

Spoke to NFL Net's Joe Theismann, who views trade as win-win: “It’s a good deal for Kansas City. I look at Alex as a very high quality QB.”

Joe Theismann on Alex Smith landing with another respected QB coach: “Now he’s got Andy Reid’s pixie dust.” #49ers

Via e-mail, #49ers center Jonathan Goodwin wished Alex Smith well this afternoon

Spoke to ESPN’s Trent Dilfer: “As much as I love Alex, I think the Niners hit a walk-off grand slam with this one.” #49ers

More Trent Dilfer: “This is unheard of. A high second-round pick alone, I think, would have been a home run.” #49ers

One more from Trent Dilfer: “Trent Baalke is proving why he’s the best GM in football. I don’t think second place is even close.” #49ers