• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Smith to KC: 49ers did right by him, worked the right channels, and made out like bandits along the way | Talking Points

* Multiple NFL sources indicate that the 49ers had every intention of doing right by Alex Smith, and that was the spirit of every bit of their discussions after the season–with him and with other teams.

I’m told that the 49ers asked for and received an informal list of preferred destinations from Smith–not a demand, just a list–and that the Chiefs were either atop that list or very near the top.

The reason: Andy Reid has been interested in Smith for a few years, and Smith is intrigued about playing for Reid as Reid rebuilds the Chiefs.

----------------------

The end result: The Chiefs’ second-round pick this year (No. 34 overall) and a conditional third-rounder next year, which can slide to a second-rounder if KC wins a certain amount of games.

An NFL source said that the 49ers didn’t give Smith permission to talk contract with KC, but that all sides knew that Smith wanted to go to KC and stay there. Smith has two years left on his contract, which would seem to point to contract-extension talks at some point in the next year.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I was right. Got it. Shitty pool of QB's means the Niners got what I figured they would and WAYYYYYY more than you guys were hoping for. I already knew I was right though but thanks for reposting it.

So you were stating the obvious and predicting the outcome of a past event. Effing Hilarious :laugh3:

I was looking at the negotiations from a present moment forward; by the time of your post the supply side was already known and therefore inconsequential to the negotiations going forward.

What wasn't known was the demand side pressure, which is what ultimately determined what we received for Alex. I made all of this perfectly clear but apparently not clear enough.

But hey, I see no reason to let your incredible gift go to waste; so, can you tell us who lost the 2012 NFC Championship Game - I wanna place a bet - Thanks!

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you were stating the obvious and predicting the outcome of a past event. Effing Hilarious :laugh3:

I was looking at the negotiations from a present moment forward; by the time of your post the supply side was already known and therefore inconsequential to the negotiations going forward.

What wasn't known was the demand side pressure, which is what ultimately determined what we received for Alex. I made all of this perfectly clear but apparently not clear enough.

But hey, I see no reason to let your incredible gift go to waste; so, can you tell us who lost the 2012 NFC Championship Game - I wanna place a bet - Thanks!

What you are saying here would make sense but YOU said that the shitty level of QB play in the league right now wouldnt effect Alexs value ( which was the enitre premise of my original post). Now you are claiming that the shitty level of QB play in the league is the sole reason the "demand" side of the equation was so much higher than you ( or most other Niner fans) figured it would be. If you had not already said that the available pool of QB's was irrelevant then your argument would make sense but right now you are just trying to remove yourself from your own comments.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you are saying here would make sense but YOU said that the shitty level of QB play in the league right now wouldnt effect Alexs value

Exactly, RIGHT NOW - as in currently.

Dude, the shitty QB conversation was months old by the time you brought it up and it had ALREADY established its price pressure even after Vick was removed from the pool.

So unless something happened to make those QB's even shittier than they [the pool of shitty QB's to use your words] already were they were NOT going to impact the negotiations. Would you have been less confused if I had said they were not going to impact negotiations going forward?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith to KC: 49ers did right by him, worked the right channels, and made out like bandits along the way | Talking Points

* Multiple NFL sources indicate that the 49ers had every intention of doing right by Alex Smith, and that was the spirit of every bit of their discussions after the season–with him and with other teams.

I’m told that the 49ers asked for and received an informal list of preferred destinations from Smith–not a demand, just a list–and that the Chiefs were either atop that list or very near the top.

The reason: Andy Reid has been interested in Smith for a few years, and Smith is intrigued about playing for Reid as Reid rebuilds the Chiefs.

----------------------

The end result: The Chiefs’ second-round pick this year (No. 34 overall) and a conditional third-rounder next year, which can slide to a second-rounder if KC wins a certain amount of games.

An NFL source said that the 49ers didn’t give Smith permission to talk contract with KC, but that all sides knew that Smith wanted to go to KC and stay there. Smith has two years left on his contract, which would seem to point to contract-extension talks at some point in the next year.

no way....

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahaha....

Then:

Now:

rmilia, you have to understand that this all happens because Bemular, among others, spent years blaming Smith for the Niners' plight, failing to understand that he was just not put into a position to succeed. "Can't win with Smith". Then they're proven wrong, so instead of saying "well maybe I'm not a football expert" they thrash this way and that trying to discredit and dismiss Smith whenever possible. Don't expect any consistency, its all about maintaining ego and refusing to admit when they're wrong.

:laugh3: Not even close Space.

Here I will tell you precisely how I feel about Alex

First, I do not blame Alex for anything. Smith did not draft himself #1 overall and thereby placing the albatross of expectation around his neck. Smith should have never been drafted #1 overall and if the '05 draft hadn't been nearly as bad as the '13 draft he might not have been taken in the 1st round at all.

I have never been more proud of a 49er player than I am of Alex Smith and that includes nearly 50 years of players to choose from.

I never said we couldn't win with Alex although doing so was only going to delay the inevitable which was that one day Smith was not going to be a 49er simply because he is not that good of a QB. And this is where you and I part ways.

As for my consistency, I don't bullshit and therefore I am incredibly consistent - Feel free to challenge that claim anytime. Do so respectfully and I will respond the same - you have my word.

In closing, and for the record, if current rumors are true then I just became a huge Chiefs fan, just as I did some 20 years ago. And I will root for and hope Alex can lead KC to the Super Bowl; and, if we are not in it, then I hope he walks away with the MVP!

Sometimes being wrong is even better than being right - this would be one of those times.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So next year I am a 49ers fan then a Chiefs fan! Hell I can wear some FSU stuff and watch and root for Alex & the Chiefs

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, RIGHT NOW - as in currently.

Dude, the shitty QB conversation was months old by the time you brought it up and it had ALREADY established its price pressure even after Vick was removed from the pool.

So unless something happened to make those QB's even shittier than they [the pool of shitty QB's to use your words] already were they were NOT going to impact the negotiations. Would you have been less confused if I had said they were not going to impact negotiations going forward?

Not confused by your initial statement. Clearly the QB pool didnt change overnight. You guys just underestimated ( or in your case completely undersold) its impact. There were no more negotaitions going forward as the deal was supposedly already in place.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So everything I can find says that Reid is installing a system similar to what he had at the beginning of his days in Philadelphia than towards the one they ran at the end of it. Still alot of grey area and unknowns at this point but that makes more sense. Didn't know that earlier when I questioned the fit a little bit earlier.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here I will tell you precisely how I feel about Alex

First, I do not blame Alex for anything. Smith did not draft himself #1 overall and thereby placing the albatross of expectation around his neck. Smith should have never been drafted #1 overall and if the '05 draft hadn't been nearly as bad as the '13 draft he might not have been taken in the 1st round at all.

I have never been more proud of a 49er player than I am of Alex Smith and that includes nearly 50 years of players to choose from.

I never said we couldn't win with Alex although doing so was only going to delay the inevitable which was that one day Smith was not going to be a 49er simply because he is not that good of a QB. And this is where you and I part ways.

As for my consistency, I don't bullshit and therefore I am incredibly consistent - Feel free to challenge that claim anytime. Do so respectfully and I will respond the same - you have my word.

In closing, and for the record, if current rumors are true then I just became a huge Chiefs fan, just as I did some 20 years ago. And I will root for and hope Alex can lead KC to the Super Bowl; and, if we are not in it, then I hope he walks away with the MVP!

Sometimes being wrong is even better than being right - this would be one of those times.

Good post! I love that he's not going to Arizona or even this conference. I love that it's a conditional 3/4 pick, not just a 3/4 pick. I was worried that it would be one where the worse he did, the better our pick (as a 3rd round pick alone would), but it's the reverse. If he finishes second to us, we get the best of both worlds. I don't predict that, but just the fact that his success not only does not hurt us, it helps us, works out perfectly for me. The fact that Kaep was better while Smith played well for himself was great too for all of us. :tea:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not confused by your initial statement. Clearly the QB pool didnt change overnight. You guys just underestimated ( or in your case completely undersold) its impact. There were no more negotaitions going forward as the deal was supposedly already in place.

We guys, as in all of us underestimated the impact of the shitty market -trust me you are very confused! :laugh3:

...and I undersold it - Really? :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

You come here and try to pretend you know more about our team than we do.

First, I can assure you NOBODY on this board underestimated the Shitty QB Market. Now, what we may have underestimated is just how badly KC wanted Smith and how good our GM is.

As for my underselling the Shitty QB Market let me draw your attention to the posts below which are just a couple of mine over the past month.

-1/31/2013-Good Lord, what does that say about the QB prospects comming out of college that the team with the #1 overall pick would rather select Alex Smith than taking a QB with the #1 pick.

So rather than spend its No. 1 overall draft pick on someone they're not thrilled with, the Chiefs may be compelled to trade the pick for a proven QB. And that could be Smith.

This is my response to the above just 10 days ago
From a cost/benefit perspective it may not be as crazy as it seems. If Dorsey can get an 'as good or better' QB for ~1/3 the cost - then why not? There is almost nothing good being said about this year's QB class.

So, like I said junior despite your belief that you enlightened an entire forum of 49er fans about, well, the 49ers - You did not. But you keep trying - the entertainment is priceless. :laugh3:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We guys, as in all of us underestimated the impact of the shitty market -trust me you are very confused! :laugh3:

...and I undersold it - Really? :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

You come here and try to pretend you know more about our team than we do.

First, I can assure you NOBODY on this board underestimated the Shitty QB Market. Now, what we may have underestimated is just how badly KC wanted Smith and how good our GM is.

As for my underselling the Shitty QB Market let me draw your attention to the posts below which are just a couple of mine over the past month.

This is my response to the above just 10 days ago

So, like I said junior despite your belief that you enlightened an entire forum of 49er fans about, well, the 49ers - You did not. But you keep trying - the entertainment is priceless. :laugh3:

None of what you just said has anything to do with what you and other Niner fans thought you would get for Alex. Most common thought was a 4th/5th rounder with some hoping and praying for a 3rd. I thought a 3rd and another pick next year so even I was off on how highly the Chiefs thought of Alex but I was certainly closer than what you guys thought. Also my opinion on the trade had nothing to do with my 49ers knowledge, it has to do with common sense and past QB trades.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of what you just said has anything to do with what you and other Niner fans thought you would get for Alex. Most common thought was a 4th/5th rounder with some hoping and praying for a 3rd. I thought a 3rd and another pick next year so even I was off on how highly the Chiefs thought of Alex but I was certainly closer than what you guys thought. Also my opinion on the trade had nothing to do with my 49ers knowledge, it has to do with common sense and past QB trades.

Look, DB, I defended the plausibility of a 1st round pick and said anything above a 4th was a profit to the 49ers - Now according to early sentiments, myself and every other poster on this board was 100% correct.

Congratulations kid, you finally made it to the left side of the bell curve!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post! I love that he's not going to Arizona or even this conference. I love that it's a conditional 3/4 pick, not just a 3/4 pick. I was worried that it would be one where the worse he did, the better our pick (as a 3rd round pick alone would), but it's the reverse. If he finishes second to us, we get the best of both worlds. I don't predict that, but just the fact that his success not only does not hurt us, it helps us, works out perfectly for me. The fact that Kaep was better while Smith played well for himself was great too for all of us. :tea:

I truly hope Smith kicks my opinions ass - but just not my 49ers' ass ;)

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, DB, I defended the plausibility of a 1st round pick and said anything above a 4th was a profit to the 49ers - Now according to early sentiments, myself and every other poster on this board was 100% correct.

Congratulations kid, you finally made it to the left side of the bell curve!

Whatever man. You clearly have a problem admitting when you were wrong. No biggie. Enjoy the picks. You guys got a good deal ( as did KC). I just hope Atlanta goes out and signs Stephen Jackson and gets Tony G to come back.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever man. You clearly have a problem admitting when you were wrong. No biggie. Enjoy the picks. You guys got a good deal ( as did KC). I just hope Atlanta goes out and signs Stephen Jackson and gets Tony G to come back.

Actually I don't, I admit when I'm wrong every time that I am. Here, let me prove it to you. You show me where I was wrong and if you show me where I was wrong I will admit it - Seriously, no BS. By now you know exactly what I was saying in my posts - So take it from there - where was I wrong?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I don't, I admit when I'm wrong every time that I am. Here, let me prove it to you. You show me where I was wrong and if you show me where I was wrong I will admit it - Seriously, no BS. By now you know exactly what I was saying in my posts - So take it from there - where was I wrong?

Umm, where you said that he made it to the left side of the bell curve?

(Just kidding, rmilia, I couldn't resist. I don't really mean to insult, just a joke.)

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm, where you said that he made it to the left side of the bell curve?

(Just kidding, rmilia, I couldn't resist. I don't really mean to insult, just a joke.)

LOL. Its cool man. I cant provide anymore quotes for B A) Because I already did it and B) Because he would just ignore his own statements anyway :). Anyway I think you guys did well on the trade. With so many picks and such a good team alrady what do you think the odds are of packaging a bunch of the picks and trying to move higher up in the first round to get a need position?? I honestly dont see anyway you guys can use all 16(?) picks, I mean seems like you would be wasting about half of them. You guys dont have that much need anywhere to be stockpiling like that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It's another swing in the wild career of Smith, who has gone from No. 1 overall pick to draft bust to backup and spot starter to full-time starter and game manager in a simplified offense to NFC Championship starter to developing passer to Colin Kaepernick's backup and now to Kansas City."

I am NOT predicting it, but how crazy of a swing would it be if Alex started to produce a bit more and solidified his job there?

Link is already in this thread, but here it is again...