• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Can we call Karma on this one?

After trading away duds in Feely, Kolb, and McNabb it's come full circle back to Reid?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One more thing I'm bouncing around in my head. Did the 49ers have to send back anything in return (4th-7th round) to KC to complete the deal? That's the type of thing that often gets mentioned after the storm settles down the next day or so? I'm just having a hard time believing what's been reported.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Sando:

Not on schedule: The 49ers do not play the Chiefs this season. The Chiefs do not play any NFC West teams. Kansas City's opponents include the other AFC West teams, plus Houston, Indianapolis, Dallas, the New York Giants, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Washington and Buffalo.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maiocco:

When Alex Smith signed as 49ers No. 1 pick, it was six-year, $57 million deal. After pay cut and couple new deals, he made $54.8M for 8 yrs.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One more thing I'm bouncing around in my head. Did the 49ers have to send back anything in return (4th-7th round) to KC to complete the deal? That's the type of thing that often gets mentioned after the storm settles down the next day or so? I'm just having a hard time believing what's been reported.

Didn't someone just mention that a few posts up? lol

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andrew Garcia:

BREAKING NEWS - SF and KC have agreed to put Alex Smith in bubble wrap and away from sharp objects until March 12, just in case.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would have thought the Manningham signing would have negated any comp for Morgan so that is a bit surprising to me - but then the comp system isn't science - so who knows.

Most of the writers have projected a comp pick for Morgan. I've seen it as a third, but that seems HIGHLY unlikely given that thirds usually only go to teams that lost a true impact player. I have very little idea, but I think those guys have sources who know more about the awarding of comp picks than I do.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Reid (and his staff) finally be flexible with their QB now? Or how flexible will he be? That's one of the biggest knocks against Andy Reid. Can he identify what Alex Smith does best and how willing will he be to build around those types of things? Alot of people much smarter than I don't believe the core Andy Reid principles are a great fit for Smith.

Historically, Reid likes to throw a lot more than Smith is use to throwing so that will be interesting to see if Smith becomes a ~35 atts/Gm QB under Reid

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the writers have projected a comp pick for Morgan. I've seen it as a third, but that seems HIGHLY unlikely given that thirds usually only go to teams that lost a true impact player. I have very little idea, but I think those guys have sources who know more about the awarding of comp picks than I do.

That makes two of us! My understanding of the comp system is that a team only receives a comp if they didn't back-fill the position with an equal or better player (again, limited knowledge talking here). Hey, whatever we get for Morgan is just more icing, imo.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This trade could have so many effect (chain reaction / cause effect) that will impact us now and forever. An immediate indirect effect is that the Chiefs will not draft a QB with the #1 overall pick, which means Geno Smith can land in Arizona and build a great offense over there with Fitz and Floyd. The extra 2nd round pick could be an immediate impact player depending on the player that drops to us. Hopefully we trade it for a future first. Something tells me though at the end of it all we will end up with two (2) first round picks in this year's draft. The 2nd round pick (34th overall), and our very own 2nd round pick is more than enough for us to move in the late mid/late teens to get an "impact" player IMO.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late to the party but I'll chime in as a third party, outside observer. Is KC really that inept of a franchise or does your GM have blackmail photos? Absolutel steal for the Niners, even if you do throw in a late round pick.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late to the party but I'll chime in as a third party, outside observer. Is KC really that inept of a franchise or does your GM have blackmail photos? Absolute steal for the Niners, even if you do throw in a late round pick.

Especially this year! Absolutely agree!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That makes two of us! My understanding of the comp system is that a team only receives a comp if they didn't back-fill the position with an equal or better player (again, limited knowledge talking here). Hey, whatever we get for Morgan is just more icing, imo.

I'm pretty sure position doesn't have anything to do with it. I believe the first consideration is whether a team lost more FAs than they gained. If they gained more, even if they lost an impact player, I don't believe they get any comps. Then it's a consideration of the contracts. In some circumstances, I've heard that post-season honors (or mid-season, as the case may be currently) can play a part as well.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade could have so many effect (chain reaction / cause effect) that will impact us now and forever. An immediate indirect effect is that the Chiefs will not draft a QB with the #1 overall pick, which means Geno Smith can land in Arizona and build a great offense over there with Fitz and Floyd. The extra 2nd round pick could be an immediate impact player depending on the player that drops to us. Hopefully we trade it for a future first. Something tells me though at the end of it all we will end up with two (2) first round picks in this year's draft. The 2nd round pick (34th overall), and our very own 2nd round pick is more than enough for us to move in the late mid/late teens to get an "impact" player IMO.

still got Jax and Philly as two possible spots.... for Geno to prevent a AZ spot...got to believe!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late to the party but I'll chime in as a third party, outside observer. Is KC really that inept of a franchise or does your GM have blackmail photos? Absolutel steal for the Niners, even if you do throw in a late round pick.

I'm having a hard time believing this is real. WTF? I hope it's true. The Chiefs are basically giving up a late 1st round pick for Alex Smith. LMAO. We probably would've cut Smith if we didn't find a trade partner.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

get back to the rock!!!! :suds:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just to break down this comp pick thing a bit more, the Niners lost Costanzo, Morgan, Norris (honestly forgot he was even on the team last year...), Rachal, Snyder, Reggie Smith, and Madieu Williams. Of those, I'm fairly sure all but Norris made active rosters. The only players they picked up who made the roster were Jacobs and Manningham. Five versus two would net three picks. How those are divided out I cannot really say.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to break down this comp pick thing a bit more, the Niners lost Costanzo, Morgan, Norris (honestly forgot he was even on the team last year...), Rachal, Snyder, Reggie Smith, and Madieu Williams. Of those, I'm fairly sure all but Norris made active rosters. The only players they picked up who made the roster were Jacobs and Manningham. Five versus two would net three picks. How those are divided out I cannot really say.

I'll have to track down a tutorial on this for future reference but this works for now - Thanks!