• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would consider Reid second behind Harbaugh in getting the most out of QBs so I think Smith is walking into a good spot there and I believe he'll have success.

But for a 2nd and change is absolutely insane. It's only 2 spots below our 1st round spot and considering there isn't a huge difference between the top and the bottom of the draft it's in a perfect spot as well.

With that pick it gives us complete flexibility in trading up, trading for picks next year, or enough ammunition to trade for Revis or Harvin if the 9ers so desire.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now, what we do with it? draft or trade for a '14 first..to whom? jax!?!?!?!?!? that's money bet there lol...

My guess/hope is that we begin building our 2014 reserve.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure didn't see that happening, two 2nd-round picks and a new contract for Alex? I thought the appeal was that he was under a rental contract so that if he didn't meet expectations the team trading for him could walk away.

Although, Andy Reid probably has the know-how and ego to believe that his offensive prowess is capable of getting the best out of Alex Smith and maybe even improving on what he has done the last 2 years.

That is just incredible though, thank you weak draft class and free agency, thank you Kolb for sucking in Arizona in order for the Cards to drive up the price since an interdivision trade probably would have got a 2nd from the Cards.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yea but it sounds like the chiefs wanted him. They are signing him to an extension from reports. Getting a 2nd + is amazing.

yeah ok, didn't mean to imply they were "forced". but if there was say a top 5 QB prospect, can't help think they'd go that direction? even use their #1 overall on a top 5 QB, as opposed to concensus #1.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would consider Reid second behind Harbaugh in getting the most out of QBs so I think Smith is walking into a good spot there and I believe he'll have success.

But for a 2nd and change is absolutely insane. It's only 2 spots below our 1st round spot and considering there isn't a huge difference between the top and the bottom of the draft it's in a perfect spot as well.

With that pick it gives us complete flexibility in trading up, trading for picks next year, or enough ammunition to trade for Revis or Harvin if the 9ers so desire.

Yeah, I was about to say something like this. He's a good fit for Reid's system, and that system is very QB-friendly. Especially if they draft Joeckel with the first pick, it's a pretty good situation for Alex. Strong running game, good skill players if they keep Bowe.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Isn't this an overstatement, Chris? In the right system, like last year, Smith can throw for 70% completion at 8.0 YPA. That's very productive. He stunk in a bad system, he was OK with a decent system, and he was good in a good system. And its not like he'll just forget everything he learned from QB guru Harbaugh going forward, good bet he'll stay above the levels he was at in 2010 - 2011 range, if not stay at 2012 level.

Look at the supply and demand here. There is nothing else resembling a good QB on the horizon, just a bunch of question marks, while there are a few teams that could use a QB. Smith is decent, with a lot of strong intangibles that can help a team. I'm not really that surprised the haul Niners got in return is decent.

No, I don't think it was. He's still limited physically and there's many things he won't and can't do in an offense. I don't love building around a player with the ceiling he appears to have. I don't hate it. I just don't love it. I'd rather have Smith than many other options that are out there, but I'd have quite a few obvious concerns about giving up that much for him. Although, let's see what the contract looks like before too much is said.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah ok, didn't mean to imply they were "forced". but if there was say a top 5 QB prospect, can't help think they'd go that direction? even use their #1 overall on a top 5 QB, as opposed to concensus #1.

No question here Deep. If this deal were to have taken place in 2012, KC is not even a part of this conversation and Smith might have been released.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Ohh I agree with you. Didn't word it well at all.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We just :hdn: the Chiefs with this deal.

We are getting a steal. Someone is dropping to us (GUARANTEE). When that happens we could either make that pick and get that "steal" (Austin or Jarvis Jones) or trade that pick with Chip Kelly and his spread offense for a 2014 first round pick. If luck is on our side, the Eagles could end up having the worse record next year which would put us in place to get Jadeveon Clowney!!

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm still highly skeptical of this. February 27th must be the new April 1st.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My guess/hope is that we begin building our 2014 reserve.

There's no doubt that we will. If this is correct, and we get a 4th round comp for Morgan, we'd effectively (not 100% on the pick numbers, or what comp picks will be) have the 31st, 33rd, 63rd, 76th, 93rd, 127th, and something in the 130s through the first four rounds. That's a full draft worth of players right there. Not to mention that we can't trade the anticipated late-round draft picks. We will be very active, of course, and I expect that we'll try to turn several picks into earlier picks next year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm still highly skeptical of this. February 27th must be the new April 1st.

Yeah, trying not to get too excited. I was more optimistic than most - stood by the 3rd or 4th projection throughout - but even I would be blown away by this.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Alex excels in KC, perfect landing spot for him. He was a true professional, even in the bad years. I'm glad he helped out the niners even in the end.

Thank you KC, talk to you again in 10-12 years when we're looking to trade Kap.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I rarely agree with Scott Wright (NFL Draft Countdown) on anything but I'm actually in the ball park with him in this depending on the contract.

Chiefs hitching wagon to Alex Smith is like stopping at $8,000 on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire". Nice money but won't change your life.

I probably wouldn't call Smith 8 grand in terms of "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" money. Maybe more than that in the right conditions, but I'm in the ball park with him on this DEPENDING on what his contract looks like.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm thinking that we might have included 2013 picks in this package to get those picks. So we'll see when this finally comes out.

Or they are intentionally playing the social media in the hopes some other sucker team ups the anty to snag him.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't this an overstatement, Chris? In the right system, like last year, Smith can throw for 70% completion at 8.0 YPA. That's very productive. He stunk in a bad system, he was OK with a decent system, and he was good in a good system. And its not like he'll just forget everything he learned from QB guru Harbaugh going forward, good bet he'll stay above the levels he was at in 2010 - 2011 range, if not stay at 2012 level.

Look at the supply and demand here. There is nothing else resembling a good QB on the horizon, just a bunch of question marks, while there are a few teams that could use a QB. Smith is decent, with a lot of strong intangibles that can help a team. I'm not really that surprised the haul Niners got in return is decent.

To me, those number's represent efficiency much more than production. I think alot of Smith's production came from behind those #'s; and, imo, there is zero possibility of Smith maintaining #'s even close to those in 2013.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will Reid (and his staff) finally be flexible with their QB now? Or how flexible will he be? That's one of the biggest knocks against Andy Reid. Can he identify what Alex Smith does best and how willing will he be to build around those types of things? Alot of people much smarter than I don't believe the core Andy Reid principles are a great fit for Smith.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no doubt that we will. If this is correct, and we get a 4th round comp for Morgan, we'd effectively (not 100% on the pick numbers, or what comp picks will be) have the 31st, 33rd, 63rd, 76th, 93rd, 127th, and something in the 130s through the first four rounds. That's a full draft worth of players right there. Not to mention that we can't trade the anticipated late-round draft picks. We will be very active, of course, and I expect that we'll try to turn several picks into earlier picks next year.

I would have thought the Manningham signing would have negated any comp for Morgan so that is a bit surprising to me - but then the comp system isn't science - so who knows.