• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals exploring possibilty of trading for 49ers quarterback Alex Smith | Insiders

I got Kent to change the Smith roster bonus due date. It is March 15th. Gives us 3 days to keep the $1M off our cap.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys are happy with a 4th rounder for Smith you truly do not appreciate how shitty QB play is in the NFL right now. Id be looking for a 4th, a 5th and maybe an extra pick next year. Or a 3rd and a pick next year. Something like that. I mean what is the Chiefs/Browns/Jags etc other recourse??? Go 3-13 again???

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys are happy with a 4th rounder for Smith you truly do not appreciate how shitty QB play is in the NFL right now. Id be looking for a 4th, a 5th and maybe an extra pick next year. Or a 3rd and a pick next year. Something like that. I mean what is the Chiefs/Browns/Jags etc other recourse??? Go 3-13 again???

You do realize we can't force teams to be interested in Smith - right? How shitty the QB's are in the league are of no consequence to what Smith is worth.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize we can't force teams to be interested in Smith - right? How shitty the QB's are in the league are of no consequence to what Smith is worth.

Sure it does man, I mean if teams are looking to upgrade and their pool of available talent is bad then the Niners hold the cards. You guys are in the great postion of not HAVING to trade Alex. With what you are paying Kaep its perfectly OK to just keep both. Other teams know that so if they want Smith they should have to pay for him. I mean Alex isnt a franchise guy by any means but he is a top half NFL QB ( proven), that doesnt come available every day. Shit the 2 other "big name" guys likely to be available are Foles ( a 3rd rounder that went 2-6 in his 8 starts last year ) and Matt Flynn ( a guy that has started 2 or 3 NFL games and couldnt beat out a rookie last year AFTER Seattle gave him 8 million bucks). To me SF holds every card in the deck on this one.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it does man

Here let me break my post down to a more understandable statement.

"You do realize we can't force teams to be interested in Smith - right?"

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course it matters. If Luck, RGIII and Wilson were available in this year's draft and Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees were available in free agency, there would not be much interest in Alex. But if you're a team that feels you're only a good QB away from being a playoff team and the only options are a good QB, crappy to mediocre QBs and a bunch of question mark QBs in the draft, everyone with a QB need would be interested in the good QB.

It's like going to a bar full of girls that are 3s and 4s, when a 6 comes in, she'll be the one every single guy in the bar is interested in.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it matters. If Luck, RGIII and Wilson were available in this year's draft and Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees were available in free agency, there would not be much interest in Alex. But if you're a team that feels you're only a good QB away from being a playoff team and the only options are a good QB, crappy to mediocre QBs and a bunch of question mark QBs in the draft, everyone with a QB need would be interested in the good QB.

It's like going to a bar full of girls that are 3s and 4s, when a 6 comes in, she'll be the one every single guy in the bar is interested in.

Are you lost?

Here let me break my post down to a more understandable statement - Again.

Correct interpretation of this statement is this: If there is no interest in Smith then Smith has no value. Thus, how shitty the QB's in league are is of no consequence to Smith's value.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prices are generally set with both demand AND supply in mind. Just sayin.

The "supply side" of the equation has been established; thus, it now is up to the "demand side" to determine the price.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "supply side" of the equation has been established; thus, it now is up to the "demand side" to determine the price.

Agreed. As long as we can get together that the supply of QB this year is indeed a factor, albeit a static one at this point. I think that's what was tripping people up. Cheers.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. As long as we can get together that the supply of QB this year is indeed a factor, albeit a static one at this point. I think that's what was tripping people up. Cheers.

...Was indeed a factor. A static supply has no impact on price. Thus, unless demand for Smith or supply changes (and those changes apply pressure) then Smith is worth what the market is willing to pay. Demand is now in control of his value - not supply - at this point.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Looks like the Smith trade hype is picking up more steam than the early reports suggesting there would be very little interest in Smith around the league. All aboard - the more the merrier!

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you lost?

Here let me break my post down to a more understandable statement - Again.

Correct interpretation of this statement is this: If there is no interest in Smith then Smith has no value. Thus, how shitty the QB's in league are is of no consequence to Smith's value.

You don't need to be rude when people didn't get what you were trying to convey your post. If you're going to throw out a statement like that on an Alex Smith trade thread, of course people are going to interpret it differently then what you intended. Obviously, I'm not the only one that didn't get your first post and I didn't see your response to one of the comments.

So, I apologize for commenting on a post from the smartest guy in the room, I won't do it again.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
east Coast Sports establishment trying hard to talk down ASmith

They are a bunch of shills trying very hard to talk down the trade value of ASmith to keeep the 49ers down. They know all too well that the 49ers are elite now and are horrified that we are going to get even better thru the upcoming draft with 14 current picks. Now we are at the brink of pulling off a trade that will yield us even more. It has yet to be seen what we are getting and from whom, but just imagine if we were to get at least a 2nd from KC. We would then have, in effect, multiple picks in every round even with a "bad" 4th rder in compensation. As the trade talks heat up so do our chances to retool ourselves for the future in a most advantageous way.. :)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need to be rude when people didn't get what you were trying to convey your post. If you're going to throw out a statement like that on an Alex Smith trade thread, of course people are going to interpret it differently then what you intended. Obviously, I'm not the only one that didn't get your first post and I didn't see your response to one of the comments.

So, I apologize for commenting on a post from the smartest guy in the room, I won't do it again.

My apologies for my terse response but your post was nearly identical to the one I had responded to directly above yours - Is it asking too much to expect that you would have read that?

That seems like a reasonable expectation. Additionally, with your low post count it occurred to me that you might just have been the previous poster under a different name.