• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora: Deal for Alex Smith "effectively complete"

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@RapSheet: On Alex Smith: Cardinals will express interest in a possible trade with #49ers. They are VERY pessimistic Niners will trade within division.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@RapSheet: Speaking of Alex Smith... The Browns are said to have some interest. No surprise. Cards believe Chiefs are closing in on a trade

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@RapSheet: On Alex Smith: Cardinals will express interest in a possible trade with #49ers. They are VERY pessimistic Niners will trade within division.

Not scared of Alex in the division and if the Cards offer a 2nd of even next years 1st take that and run. But I would hate for Smith to go to Arizona. Especially if one of those LTs fall to them at 7. Smith to Fitz connection could be scary and the motivation to beat us every time we play them would be huge

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not scared of Alex in the division and if the Cards offer a 2nd of even next years 1st take that and run. But I would hate for Smith to go to Arizona. Especially if one of those LTs fall to them at 7. Smith to Fitz connection could be scary and the motivation to beat us every time we play them would be huge

Same.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I have a tough time seeing the Cardinals being able outbid the Chief's for Smith's services.

It would have to be a significantly better package compared to what everyone else offered for the 9ers to bite on it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm a bit confused as you start by saying you wouldn't be scared, but then seem to be saying that you would be. Fitz is scary with virtually anyone at QB - Kevin Kolb excepted, apparently - but Smith doesn't scare me in particular with Fitz. Fitz is a guy who wins a lot of contested balls. He goes after a jump ball as well as any WR in the league. But Smith doesn't generally throw those balls. I don't think those two are a particularly good fit.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit confused as you start by saying you wouldn't be scared, but then seem to be saying that you would be. Fitz is scary with virtually anyone at QB - Kevin Kolb excepted, apparently - but Smith doesn't scare me in particular with Fitz. Fitz is a guy who wins a lot of contested balls. He goes after a jump ball as well as any WR in the league. But Smith doesn't generally throw those balls. I don't think those two are a particularly good fit.

The bolded part is why I am not scared but could become scared. I don't think Smith ever trusted Crabs to make that throw well this year he began too a little bit but still I don't believe that trust was there. But with Fitz Smith may say hell with it and throw it up. If that happens and the Cards can get better on the Oline then the Smith to Fitz connection could become scary.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have a tough time seeing the Cardinals being able outbid the Chief's for Smith's services.

It would have to be a significantly better package compared to what everyone else offered for the 9ers to bite on it.

HOw about KC's 3rd #65 vs AZ. 2nd #38 ...and thats just for starters. Or how about a Peterson for Smith +our #1 hmmm? that values Smith ..that leaves them with #7,#31,#38 and Smith albiet sans Peterson to rebuild with.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not scared of what alex could do to us on the field, but I don't like the idea of anyone who is so educated in our offense playing us 2 times a year. I'm sure he'd also know some of keap's mental weaknesses as well since they sat in the film room together, and alex played a role in bringing him along.

He likely won't ever carve us up on the field, but his help in prepping his teammates could give them an edge for at least next season. NFC west games are always tough, even when a shitty team plays a superior one, a slight edge is all it takes.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not scared of what alex could do to us on the field, but I don't like the idea of anyone who is so educated in our offense playing us 2 times a year. I'm sure he'd also know some of keap's mental weaknesses as well since they sat in the film room together, and alex played a role in bringing him along.

He likely won't ever carve us up on the field, but his help in prepping his teammates could give them an edge for at least next season. NFC west games are always tough, even when a shitty team plays a superior one, a slight edge is all it takes.

it cuts both ways.

the 49er Coaching Staff and players know more about Alex Smith, than Alex Smith will be able to reciprocate.

do prefer we not trade him within the West, but if their offer is better...............

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think our offense will change a fair bit with a full offseason to work with Kaepernick.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't want a motivated Smith in our division. He knows too much about the inner workings of the team. He'd give the Cardinals a real advantage against the 49ers.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want a motivated Smith in our division. He knows too much about the inner workings of the team. He'd give the Cardinals a real advantage against the 49ers.

Even as a Smith supporter, I wouldn't be concerned about Smith in the division, but all it takes is one fuck up to go from 2nd seed to having to play some wildcard team. We lost to the Rams and it wasn't because they were better. Any one thing different and we would have won either or both games, but one missed kick or one bad ref call (safety) or one bad playcall... I could see one small factor getting us one game - but having said that, that's true about any team. The reason I don't want Smith to go there is I don't want to root against him unless it's the playoffs or just one game every few years.

When Troy was here, I was hoping that Gore would have a field day, the defense would hold them to zero, and Troy wouldn't be praised for unsustainable play. I don't want to root for us to win over a good performance by Smith. I'll never want us to lose, even to him, but I don't want all that mocking. Just a respectful game where we win.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ian Rapoport reported the following tonight on NFL Access:

- Has been told that the Chiefs have shown the most interest in Alex all along.

- Now has been told that the Cardinals have expressed interest in a trade. The Cardinals as an organization are "very pessimistic" that the 49ers would trade Alex inside the division.

- Cleveland Browns are also interested.

- The Cardinals are of the belief that the Chiefs are closing in on a deal for Alex.

- The Chiefs know there's the "possibility" of the 49ers using the Cardinals and the Browns to drive up the price.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Rapoport reported the following tonight on NFL Access:

- Has been told that the Chiefs have shown the most interest in Alex all along.

- Now has been told that the Cardinals have expressed interest in a trade. The Cardinals as an organization are "very pessimistic" that the 49ers would trade Alex inside the division.

- Cleveland Browns are also interested.

- The Cardinals are of the belief that the Chiefs are closing in on a deal for Alex.

- The Chiefs know there's the "possibility" of the 49ers using the Cardinals and the Browns to drive up the price.

Here's the link. The video shows the good and the bad as they talk about what you just said above. Where will San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith land?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even as a Smith supporter, I wouldn't be concerned about Smith in the division, but all it takes is one fuck up to go from 2nd seed to having to play some wildcard team. We lost to the Rams and it wasn't because they were better. Any one thing different and we would have won either or both games, but one missed kick or one bad ref call (safety) or one bad playcall... I could see one small factor getting us one game - but having said that, that's true about any team. The reason I don't want Smith to go there is I don't want to root against him unless it's the playoffs or just one game every few years.

When Troy was here, I was hoping that Gore would have a field day, the defense would hold them to zero, and Troy wouldn't be praised for unsustainable play. I don't want to root for us to win over a good performance by Smith. I'll never want us to lose, even to him, but I don't want all that mocking. Just a respectful game where we win.

he plays his best with a chip on his shoulder, he'd prolly go 300+ yards every game against us.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason La Canfora:

The Alex Smith trade is not with Arizona, to be clear again. The Cards offer was weak. 49ers told people its not AZ. KC remains likely team

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith - QB - 49ers

NEWS: The Sacramento Bee hears that the 49ers will likely be getting a fourth-round pick in the 2013 draft for Alex Smith.

ANALYSIS: If the Niners pull off the widely speculated trade with the Chiefs, they'd add the first pick of the fourth round. It's nothing close to what the Eagles got for Kevin Kolb or what the Patriots got for Matt Cassel, but Smith has earned a reputation as a game manager. During his 75 career starts, he's completed just 59.3 percent of his passes and averaged 6.6 yards per attempt.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Blog and Q&A: Who stays? Where things stand on key 49ers

QB Alex Smith. The 49ers feel confident they will trade him before Smith is owed a $1 million on March 15. The scuttlebutt from the combine was that the recompense *might* be a high fourth-round pick in the 2013 draft. The question now is whether another team comes forward with a better offer.