• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyrie to Boston rumors heating up. Deal nearly complete

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Yes, by a lot.

Why? Because of defense.

And no, they are not equally poor defenders. While both may be poor, IT's height represents a fundamental, fatal flaw that not only makes him a bad defender but undermines an entire team defensive structure.

^ And that's not a small deal... it's a big deal.

I'll grant the point that, right now, Crowder is a better NBA player than Brown or certainly Tatum.

But if you read between the lines of Ainge's recent comments regarding "time table"... I think folks in the NBA know that nobody is beating Golden State in the near term.

So I think the C's brain trust would prefer to give some of the minutes that would have been Crowder's to the young'uns... develop that raw talent which is bursting with potential, rather than grind it out with a guy who has already topped out.

And frankly, the reality is, for 2017 you're worse off, and in the future you're worse off.

And you gave up 2 PREMIUM assets to put a ceiling on your team.

How is this a good move?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The move to make was sending him to a team like Dallas who was looking to keep giving Dirk chances to win and getting Dennis Smith Jr.

Prolong the window, don't put a limit on the ceiling. IIRC Ford was writing that some evaluators had Smith #1 on their board based on pure talent. Plus that would've meant they don't need to make the Bradley deal to land GH.

Idk what the right answer was. I just know that this move was the wrong answer. Like you said, it puts a ceiling on this team. And it's not Larry O'brien worthy.
Dennis Smith Jr. was a steal at #9.

I was rather shocked the Knicks passed him- but-- Knicks.

Markenen going over him was bad too i think- i like MArkenen- he is going to be a very good stretch 4- but he doesnt have star potential--- hes like a Ryan Anderson with a higher ceiling--- but he wont be a star.

Dennis Smith Jr. I could have seen going as high as 3 in that draft.

I think Sacramento at 5 and Dallas at 9 getting Fox and Smith Jr. got the best values in the draft.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except it's not according to the advanced stats. In the grand scheme of everything, it's a small upgrade.
Put the stats down and re-watch some of the Celtic playoff games from last season.

I know you of all people noticed how teams went to work on Isaiah Thomas... he had the biggest target on his back of any NBA player I have ever seen.

Chicago was a horrid offensive club for a playoff team. Basically their only bread and butter after Rondo went down was to create a switch, isolate IT on a bigger player like Jimmy Butler, and go to work.

And the strategy worked!
The Q said:
Horford and Kyrie's deals expire before GS's window closes.
Horford is aging and probably not part of the long term equation.

I do believe that the C's believe they have a great opportunity to show Kyrie a top-notch NBA organization over the next couple of years and get him to resign. Only time will tell on that front.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Markenen going over him was bad too i think- i like MArkenen- he is going to be a very good stretch 4- but he doesnt have star potential--- hes like a Ryan Anderson with a higher ceiling--- but he wont be a star.

I think Sacramento at 5 and Dallas at 9 getting Fox and Smith Jr. got the best values in the draft.

I'm not sure Mark does because he's not the rebounder Anderson is.

And neither one can even spell defense.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put the stats down and re-watch some of the Celtic playoff games from last season.

I know you of all people noticed how teams went to work on Isaiah Thomas... he had the biggest target on his back of any NBA player I have ever seen.

Chicago was a horrid offensive club for a playoff team. Basically their only bread and butter after Rondo went down was to create a switch, isolate IT on a bigger player like Jimmy Butler, and go to work.

And the strategy worked!

Horford is aging and probably not part of the long term equation.

I do believe that the C's believe they have a great opportunity to show Kyrie a great NBA organization over the next couple of years and get him to resign. Only time will tell on that front.

But for that last part on Kyrie....you can't count on that for any trade. You can only count on the certainty of what you have to control him.

It's like saying NO made a great deal cause they could have 6 playoff runs with Cousins....no, they really only traded for 2. After that it's off the trade ledger.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except it's not according to the advanced stats. In the grand scheme of everything, it's a small upgrade.

And the problem is there is no set up for the post-GS run that you can say the celtics are well positioned for.

Horford and Kyrie's deals expire before GS's window closes.
I gotta say- I hate this narrative that GSW is invincible.

NO ONE in their right mind thought the Cavs would win against them down 3-1---- GSW were heavy favorites coming into the series. It just made that victory so much sweeter to pull off the greatest comeback in NBA history vs. a team that everyone said was unbeatable.

Things happen during a regular season. No one wouldve thought Dallas would win the title the year they did it. I totally understand GSW being the prohibitive favorites- but everyone just giving up and acting like there is no point to the season on August 25th is just ridiculous. Its not like Durant and Curry are models of health.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Danny made the deal, i kinda thought he was might've had Smith rated really high, it would just be such an Ainge move.

Tatum is like the anti ainge pick from his track record.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is definitely true- and i def. agree with you Isiah is a worse defender than Kyrie--- but im telling you- go back and watch the Cavs playoff games. lol....look at how they attacked Kyrie.

Kyrie has always been really skillful- one of the most skilled players i have ever seen- but hes not a big strong guy like a Smart. Hes never going to be a great defender.

Now- dont get me wrong- he can and has the potential to improve-- and become at least decent---- but putting more of the offensive load on him than he had in Cleveland prob. wont help things.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NO ONE in their right mind thought the Cavs would win against them down 3-1---- GSW were heavy favorites coming into the series. It just made that victory so much sweeter to pull off the greatest comeback in NBA history vs. a team that everyone said was unbeatable.

Things happen during a regular season. No one wouldve thought Dallas would win the title the year they did it. I totally understand GSW being the prohibitive favorites- but everyone just giving up and acting like there is no point to the season on August 25th is just ridiculous. Its not like Durant and Curry are models of health.

Banking on multiple injuries and having Draymond obsess about another man's junk again, is NOT a strategy.

It's a prayer.

You gotta at least have a real chance to beat them.

Teams like Hou and SA have a chance.

CLE might have a chance.

Boston has no chance unless there's a bigger trainwreck than 2016 coming at them.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any players season could end on any night.
In general, you can only assume based on health.
Assuming Warriors are healthy, it's not too soon to say they should easily repeat.
Their actions this summer, especially Durant, show they are all still very hungry and motivated.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

there's only ONE reason you "hate that narrative", junior...

they're standing directly in LeClown's way...

looking forward to 3-6 in the finals...:sadbron:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article I read yesterday said there is only one guy in the league expected to be worse defensively than Isiah Thomas.

Can anyone guess who it is?

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any players season could end on any night.
In general, you can only assume based on health.
Assuming Warriors are healthy, it's not too soon to say they should easily repeat.
Their actions this summer, especially Durant, show they are all still very hungry and motivated.

he's not too different from HurricaneFlabbyAndDickless wishing injury on PG13...:L

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's only ONE reason you "hate that narrative", junior...

they're standing directly in LeClown's way...

looking forward to 3-6 in the finals...:sadbron:
better than looking at the sixth straight year without a playoff win. :pound::nono:

only thing sadder than being a lotto team year (1) after year (2) after year (3) after year (4) after year (5) after year is not having your pick. :lol:

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article I read yesterday said there is only one guy in the league expected to be worse defensively than Isiah Thomas.

Yea let me know how Thomas' defense works out in your last Finals of the century.

Methinks you'll be missing Kyrie.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beal, thomas and Kyrie have their own level of bad.

The fact that Jabari Parker isn't down there baffles me though.

That dude couldn't guard me right now.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beal, thomas and Kyrie have their own level of bad.

The fact that Jabari Parker isn't down there baffles me though.

That dude couldn't guard me right now.
Again, there is a difference between bad defense at 6'3" and bad defense at 5'8". I honestly don't even know how you have Isaiah on the floor against GS.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but if they move their own pick does that preclude them from trading the Brooklyn pick?

Honestly not sure, that's where it gets confusing. I would assume, yeah, they can only trade 1 or the other. Gonna see if I can get a concrete answer on that though.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better than looking at the sixth straight year without a playoff win. :pound::nono:

only thing sadder than being a lotto team year (1) after year (2) after year (3) after year (4) after year (5) after year is not having your pick. :lol:

could be worse. i COULD look into the Cavs' trophy case and see 1 piece of hardware you were EXTREMELY fortunate to get...

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

don't try to compare the Cavs history to the Lakers, sonny boy. because we BOTH know there is no comparison...

DEAL with it...:D

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think the Grizzlies should consider moving Gasol sooner than later and maybe even Conley.

The next two years they only get their 1st round pick if its a top-8 pick. The 3rd year it becomes unprotected.

So why not go all in on the rebuild now (instead of waiting till the deadline when they realize they're missing the playoffs). They give themselves 2 years of top-8 picks, plus they can probably land another top-8 pick or 2 in trading Gasol and/or Conley.