• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyrie to Boston rumors heating up. Deal nearly complete

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were in the final four last year and are better now. By most definitions that's a contender.

It's a legitimate question if they're better.

Again, Kyrie is not a superstar, he's not even a top 20 player.

RPM projections dropped Boston from 49 wins to 43 wins after this trade; and CLE improved from 49 wins to 53 wins.

Blotch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum is 19. Brown is 20.

Both guys should be very good someday--- but neither can touch LeBron right now. Love and Thompson will own the Celtics on the glass. The Celtics outside 3 pt shooting isnt even that good anymore.

Heyward and Kyrie are awesome- but the Celtics wont be true contenders until Brown and Tatum mature- and they get someone better than Marcus Morris to play PF.

plus as i said

The game is gonna get easier for Isiah Thomas. The game is going to get harder for Kyrie Irving.

I agree with everything you just said.

But none of that changes what you replied to.

And for whatever its worth? Statistically? By those dumb defensive ratings?

Morris was the best defender of LBJ in the entire NBA last year.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I def agree on that.....

adding Hayward and Irving is amazing. If LeBron leaves Cleveland thy will be amazingly positioned in the East going forward. This year though? Ijust think Boston still needs (i) someone to guard LeBron, (ii) a better PF and more rebounding, (iii) more 3 pt shooting.
You know What? I honestly have zero idea what to expect. This is not the same team we had last year...at all. I do know that I like the idea of Kyrie/Hayward as our interchangeable 1 and 2 scoring options a lot more than Isaiah/Crowder(our 2 most efficient scorers last year).

The defense worries me of course, but Marcus and Jaylen are both solid and hopefully Brown has grown a little in that aspect and makes less mistakes.

Rebounding is always a concern, which may lead to more minutes from Baynes than I'd prefer, but gotta do what ya gotta do.

I still think we are a hair better than Wash and Tor, but a decent step behind the Cavs.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmfao you CLEARLY haven't dealt all of his endless pages of homeristic bullshit...

Oh I have. He is one of the loudest blind homers here but he's certainly far from the only one.

But in this thread his points have been pretty reasonable. He has basically said that Kyrie is better than IT but not that much. And certainly not enough to overtake the Cavs in the East. Granted he does it in a long winded way but that seems pretty reasonable to me.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know What? I honestly have zero idea what to expect. This is not the same team we had last year...at all. I do know that I like the idea of Kyrie/Hayward as our interchangeable 1 and 2 scoring options a lot more than Isaiah/Crowder(our 2 most efficient scorers last year).

The defense worries me of course, but Marcus and Jaylen are both solid and hopefully Brown has grown a little in that aspect and makes less mistakes.

Rebounding is always a concern, which may lead to more minutes from Baynes than I'd prefer, but gotta do what ya gotta do.

I still think we are a hair better than Wash and Tor, but a decent step behind the Cavs.

All decent points. The Celtics are still the 2nd best team in the East.

Now if Brown or Tatum really step up this year, that could change. But that's asking a lot from some really young players.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was really impressed with Jaylen Brown last year. Its clear he isnt intimidated. Defensively he seems like he could get there pretty quick. Offensively he has work to do- esp. shooting wise.....but hes a keeper no doubt.

If that draft happened today Jaylen Brown goes over Ingram if you ask me.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a legitimate question if they're better.

Again, Kyrie is not a superstar, he's not even a top 20 player.

RPM projections dropped Boston from 49 wins to 43 wins after this trade; and CLE improved from 49 wins to 53 wins.
Meh, what were the win projections last yeat?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I think the Cavs are still the easy favorites. But, I do think we have a better shot against them than last year, whatever that actually means.

I agree with this. I think the Celts have a CHANCE to beat the Cavs this year which I don't think anyone seriously thought last year.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey I'm not calling them the 1964 Celtics. Just pointing out a team that was the #1 seed and in the semi-finals, added the 3rd pick in the draft along with Haywood and an upgrade in Irvin has to be considered a contender.
At the very least they win 50+ games. I wish Kyrie ended up in a place where he wins 23.

They also lost like 11 players off that team and something like 5 or 6 of the top 7 guys in minutes played, including their 2 top players according to RPM (Crowder and Amir). So saying that isn't really helpful. This team has been almost completely turned over.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. I think the Celts have a CHANCE to beat the Cavs this year which I don't think anyone seriously thought last year.

If Lebron gets hurt?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that draft happened today Jaylen Brown goes over Ingram if you ask me.

I think we will really find out about the two of them this year. If Ingram gets a little bigger and improves his shot like people thought he would, he could still be the better option.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lebron gets hurt?

Well of course. Lebron gets hurt and the Cavs aren't a playoff team.

But I was talking more about whether one of the two young guys really becoming a stud. It's unlikely but not unheard of.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All decent points. The Celtics are still the 2nd best team in the East.

Now if Brown or Tatum really step up this year, that could change. But that's asking a lot from some really young players.
Yep. Brown and Tatum are gonna have to grow up fast. I have faith in Stevens and the system, but you're right, it's a lot to ask.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Brown and Tatum are gonna have to grow up fast. I have faith in Stevens and the system, but you're right, it's a lot to ask.
yah at 19 and 20 years old--- just physically its hard to stand up to the rigors of an 82 game season plus playoffs against grown men

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, what were the win projections last yeat?

I don't recall for certain, but I believe RPM liked the Celtics more than most though. Might've had them 3rd in the East (behind CLE and TOR), but I'd have to really dig to find it. But I remember the analytics giving him some optimism for last year to be a step forward.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmfao you CLEARLY haven't dealt with all of his endless pages of homeristic bullshit...

I have. And he should be called out for it when he is doing that which has done many many times.

He's not the only homer here though.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well of course. Lebron gets hurt and the Cavs aren't a playoff team.

But I was talking more about whether one of the two young guys really becoming a stud. It's unlikely but not unheard of.

I just meant they have a chance against CLE if Lebron gets hurt.

They still have little chance against a healthy Cavs team. This just trade just puts the Cavs on part with the Spurs and Rockets level.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have. And he should be called out for it when he is doing that which has done many many times.

He's not the only homer here though.

like anyone trying to justify this trade for boston.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like anyone trying to justify this trade for boston.

I don't think it was a terrible trade for Boston but it is hard for me to see how they are the winners in this trade. Unless Kyrie turns into the next Kobe.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it was a terrible trade for Boston but it is hard for me to see how they are the winners in this trade. Unless Kyrie turns into the next Kobe.

Kobe could play defense.

Mr. Flat Earth can't even spell it.