• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyle Williams another left ACL tear

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Williams - WR - Chiefs

Chiefs placed WR Kyle Williams on injured reserve with a torn ACL, ending his season.
Williams tore his left ACL almost exactly a year ago, and it sounds as if he tore the same one again. Claimed off waivers by the Chiefs from the 49ers nine days ago, he didn't catch a pass in the lone game he was active for Kansas City. Williams didn't look the same this season after last season's knee injury, so it's fair to wonder if his career may be coming to a close. Williams will be a free agent in the spring. Chad Hall has been re-signed to take his spot.
Source: Kyle Williams on Twitter
Nov 22 - 11:21 AM

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Williams - WR - Chiefs

Chiefs placed WR Kyle Williams on injured reserve with a torn ACL, ending his season.
Williams tore his left ACL almost exactly a year ago, and it sounds as if he tore the same one again. Claimed off waivers by the Chiefs from the 49ers nine days ago, he didn't catch a pass in the lone game he was active for Kansas City. Williams didn't look the same this season after last season's knee injury, so it's fair to wonder if his career may be coming to a close. Williams will be a free agent in the spring. Chad Hall has been re-signed to take his spot.
Source: Kyle Williams on Twitter
Nov 22 - 11:21 AM

Which is all the reason why Crabtree shouldn't be rushed. Manningham limited reps as well. I know some different injuries but for WR coming off major leg injuries it's not easy to come back always.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are the chances of re-tearing an ACL?? tough luck.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tore my ACL 3 times. It happens. 2 in 1 knee and 1 in the other. Sucks for Williams. He might be done.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never did care for him being on the 9ers' roster but I hope he heals and can have some sort of career in the NFL.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sucks...

Chad Hall? Wtf kc 49ers? Sf chiefs?

Collusion between the Niners and Chiefs??? Going back to the days of Joe Montana and then with Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac???

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what are the chances of re-tearing an ACL?? tough luck.

I've heard a range of numbers over the years but the one I saw JUST this morning in a Derrick Rose article had it somewhere between 5-15% of tearing the same ACL again. I've also read elsewhere that if you tear an ACL, your chances of tearing your OTHER ACL also goes way up, too.

On Kyle Williams. That's just awful. He's by far one of the easiest athletes in history to root for as far as I am concerned. The utter CRAP that was dished at him even outside the NFC Championship game was ridiculous. I just wish more could have and/or would have been able to watch the ALL-22 NFL.com coaches tape for him. He didn't get the credit or the take on his film that he deserved in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've heard a range of numbers over the years but the one I saw JUST this morning in a Derrick Rose article had it somewhere between 5-15% of tearing the same ACL again. I've also read elsewhere that if you tear an ACL, your chances of tearing your OTHER ACL also goes way up, too.

On Kyle Williams. That's just awful. He's by far one of the easiest athletes in history to root for as far as I am concerned. The utter CRAP that was dished at him even outside the NFC Championship game was ridiculous. I just wish more could have and/or would have been able to watch the ALL-22 NFL.com coaches tape for him. He didn't get the credit or the take on his film that he deserved in my opinion.

Yup, I've read that with most soft tissue injuries or ligaments injuries, whatever you call them, that the chances for an individual increase if it happened once before. I think it was mentioned as well when Crabtree tore his achilles that he is at an increased risk for it to happen again.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pozz - if he didn't get the deserved credit, why do you think he was cut? Also why was KC the only team to put an offer on him via waiver wire?

Personally, I thought he had potential and as you allude to a phenomenal attitude. He was definitely suited for the slot and not the outside as we used him.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am genuinely curious what rediculous CRAP he got that was undeserved. All I will remember him as was a guy who lost us the NFC championship game and who was largely useless in his last season on the team. What did I miss? He got open a lot or something? More so than the average receiver? If that's true that might explain away some of his uselessness. But what about his punt returning deficiencies that hurt us so much?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pozz - if he didn't get the deserved credit, why do you think he was cut? Also why was KC the only team to put an offer on him via waiver wire?

Personally, I thought he had potential and as you allude to a phenomenal attitude. He was definitely suited for the slot and not the outside as we used him.

I am genuinely curious what rediculous CRAP he got that was undeserved. All I will remember him as was a guy who lost us the NFC championship game and who was largely useless in his last season on the team. What did I miss? He got open a lot or something? More so than the average receiver? If that's true that might explain away some of his uselessness. But what about his punt returning deficiencies that hurt us so much?

Chris_Pozz is as close if not the one poster we should all take his word for when it comes to things like this. His profession, I believe, involves watching/scouting football in some way and his insight is great for this board. Of course, having said that, I'd love to hear what made him feel this way, too. (No, not sucking up to him (why?), just my opinion.)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I had made a post on my feelings with some detailed All-22 coaches tape review I did around the Arizona game.

First, if anybody is unaware of what I mean by the "All-22" coaches tape/film I will explain. You can purchase it through NFL.com and you can re-watch the games. What you get is the option to watch the game from the "All 22" camera and the "High End Zone" camera. If you've watched SportsCenter or any other NFL program in your life then chances are you've watched highlights from one of those two angles.

The "All 22" camera sits above the field and shows all 22 players at once. The High End Zone camera is positioned on either side of the field and you get the view from the end zones. You can see the play coming towards you or going away from you.

They also give you the option to use a telestrator feature where you can basically do what a game analyst does by highlighting anything you want on the field.

I could've done a better job of posting visuals of what I meant but through the Arizona game Kaepernick had repeatedly missed Kyle Williams for several intermediate and deep gains and around 7-8 plays where Kyle either would have easily scored or come darn close to scoring.

In one game alone this season Kaepernick left AT LEAST 100 yards passing out on the field to Kyle alone. No other receiver I watched through the Arizona game was more negatively affected by Kaepernick than Kyle Williams was in my opinion. And those were just the plays where Kaepernick had an opportunity to look to him and just didn't see him, chose not to throw him the ball, or just flat out missed him. There were other times where if the line had held up a bit better or Kaepernick hadn't been flushed to one side then he could've hit him for some more opportunities but in my original post and now I won't and didn't fault Kaepernick too much for those plays.

I suppose some of the disconnect between the two could fall on Kyle Williams himself. Could he have done more to get Kaepernick to trust him and force him to look at him more? Sure, that's always possible. But it just baffled me to see the number of times the two couldn't connect with each other when Kyle was easily open.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I had made a post on my feelings with some detailed All-22 coaches tape review I did around the Arizona game.

First, if anybody is unaware of what I mean by the "All-22" coaches tape/film I will explain. You can purchase it through NFL.com and you can re-watch the games. What you get is the option to watch the game from the "All 22" camera and the "High End Zone" camera. If you've watched SportsCenter or any other NFL program in your life then chances are you've watched highlights from one of those two angles.

The "All 22" camera sits above the field and shows all 22 players at once. The High End Zone camera is positioned on either side of the field and you get the view from the end zones. You can see the play coming towards you or going away from you.

They also give you the option to use a telestrator feature where you can basically do what a game analyst does by highlighting anything you want on the field.

I could've done a better job of posting visuals of what I meant but through the Arizona game Kaepernick had repeatedly missed Kyle Williams for several intermediate and deep gains and around 7-8 plays where Kyle either would have easily scored or come darn close to scoring.

In one game alone this season Kaepernick left AT LEAST 100 yards passing out on the field to Kyle alone. No other receiver I watched through the Arizona game was more negatively affected by Kaepernick than Kyle Williams was in my opinion. And those were just the plays where Kaepernick had an opportunity to look to him and just didn't see him, chose not to throw him the ball, or just flat out missed him. There were other times where if the line had held up a bit better or Kaepernick hadn't been flushed to one side then he could've hit him for some more opportunities but in my original post and now I won't and didn't fault Kaepernick too much for those plays.

I suppose some of the disconnect between the two could fall on Kyle Williams himself. Could he have done more to get Kaepernick to trust him and force him to look at him more? Sure, that's always possible. But it just baffled me to see the number of times the two couldn't connect with each other when Kyle was easily open.

Grrr. My post went through when I wasn't done for some reason (computer issues). I can no longer remember without going back and finding it but at one point I had counted up these opportunities and the yardage alone to Kyle could've been around 400 yards more than whatever he had at that point. He finished his season with the 49ers with 12 for 113 yards and no TDs.

Now, some will probably ask me if he was getting open and Kaepernick was just missing him then why on earth would they flat out release him? I honestly have no idea why he was released. How much of it was just a numbers game with some guys getting healthy and his struggles on STs factoring in? I don't know exactly. I just know what I watched on the tape (and I feel like I can be one to call it tape, which normally drives me nuts when fans call live game action "tape"). What I saw was a player that could've been far more successful than he was and I honestly don't get why they used him the way they did.

I repeatedly called for in the early season to design some things for him in the quick passing game and let him use his YAC ability, which was another thing he was always capable of adding to an offense in my opinion, to help you on offense. I'd have even loved to see him use his vision and get some more carries in the run game. Yeah, I said that.

I usually hate when people question Roman unfairly but this was one area where I just didn't understand how they were using him, Roman especially. Obviously I am not smarter than Greg Roman and he knew Kyle personally and I did not. So I'm not going to beat this to death too much and say I'm right, he is/was wrong. I just didn't understand his usage and I'm just saying that as a fan what I'd have tried doing with him if I had the opportunity to do something with and for them.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty neutral towards him but the death threats he received after the NFC Champ were completely over the top and uncalled for. Also, I hate to see any player's career end due to injury.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel like I just addressed some of the "crap" in the form of showing what I saw via NFL.com's tape, whether I'm completely right or not, and I don't feel like I said anything in my review that wasn't true, but I'll address some of the exact "crap" I'm talking about now that I posted what I saw on the field on the other page (if anybody just missed it).

The death threats stuff should go without saying but that's always ridiculous no matter who it is directed at. I shouldn't have to say that but I just did anyway.

The "Kyle Williams is worthless" and showed "nothing" at WR while he was here. Again, I feel like I showed that he wasn't "worthless" and showed more than "nothing" at WR.

I feel like there was a lot of "Kyle isn't getting open" for quite a while. Again, I think I showed that there were NUMEROUS opportunities this season alone where Kyle WAS getting open, more easily than others quite frankly in my opinion. It just baffled me at how often he and Kaepernick weren't connecting. Like I stated earlier, I can't explain why then he was cut if this were the case but as I said numerous times in the past, I'd LOVE for another person to watch what I watched and explain to me why I'm wrong or that I'm crazy and didn't see what I saw.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the other kinds of statements that infuriated me because I felt like they were unfair but those are some of the main things that got me so animated when talking about it.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the detailed response Pozz, I really do appreciate it

I am curious- how much more open was he getting than your average receiver? Just based on what you've seen of the tape, is Kap missing, say, Boldin or Baldwin just as much or was Williams really getting open more often than those guys? Also, was Williams getting open more than your average missed WR? It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of guys around the league end up getting missed while they're open, either because of the pass rush or they were the 3rd or 4th option or whatever. You don't need to spend a lot of time responding or write up anything detailed if you don't want to, a simple "He was way more open than your average receiver, shut up Whysies" will suffice :)

Also, totally agree that the death threats were ridiculous and terrible. I'm not a fan of him as a player and am glad he's gone but that has nothing to do with him as a person and I certainly don't want to see his career end with an injury. I must say though that I think it's pretty legitimate for fans to dislike him as a player and want him cut considering his performance in the NFC championship game. And then when you look at his subsequent punt return "contributions" I think it's pretty evident that he was useless in that regard.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks for the detailed response Pozz, I really do appreciate it

I am curious- how much more open was he getting than your average receiver? Just based on what you've seen of the tape, is Kap missing, say, Boldin or Baldwin just as much or was Williams really getting open more often than those guys? Also, was Williams getting open more than your average missed WR? It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of guys around the league end up getting missed while they're open, either because of the pass rush or they were the 3rd or 4th option or whatever. You don't need to spend a lot of time responding or write up anything detailed if you don't want to, a simple "He was way more open than your average receiver, shut up Whysies" will suffice :)

Also, totally agree that the death threats were ridiculous and terrible. I'm not a fan of him as a player and am glad he's gone but that has nothing to do with him as a person and I certainly don't want to see his career end with an injury. I must say though that I think it's pretty legitimate for fans to dislike him as a player and want him cut considering his performance in the NFC championship game. And then when you look at his subsequent punt return "contributions" I think it's pretty evident that he was useless in that regard.

1) I can only speak to Boldin, not Baldwin to be quite honest. I haven't really looked at him closely enough and I don't pay that close attention on the All-22 tape to THAT many other WRs so it would be somewhat unfair for me to say too much about that. If I had the time to dedicate to the NFL game as opposed to college, I would have some interest. I just don't, though.

Typically what I saw was that when Boldin got open and Kyle got open, Boldin wasn't consistently open by as much as Kyle was but Boldin has a far better catch radius and can come down with balls that Kyle just can't, even though I think Kyle's ability to catch the ball is pretty decent when he's in his groove. I'd have liked to see him shake some of the rest off and show off his catching ability a little more than he was able to given everything he had gone through with the injury.

2) Maybe I can answer your question about average WRs in another way that may help, though. I think if Kyle is right, and he may never be right again given the latest injury, I thought Kyle had the ability in the right system, with the right minds, without crap at QB, to be a dangerous 3rd option at WR. If you give me him and he's RIGHT health wise, I'd take him with HIS mind, HIS vision, HIS route running ability over at least half 3rd WR options in the NFL.

As far as the person he is, I'd like to say just one more thing. Given everything I've read and heard from him and his background, there aren't many people in the NFL I have a higher regard for than him. The way he's handled everything he's been through from college through his pro career has been fantastic. He's bright, articulate, smart, funny, and by all accounts, everything you want as a worker. He's a true student of football based on what I've discovered. I put A TON of stock into all that when I root for a player and anytime I'm asked about constructing a roster about players I'd want to see on "my team" or something along those lines. I can't stand willingly dumb players that don't show an effort to get the little things right and don't like work (i.e. Kenny Britt).